Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Chips and Tunning

Old 10-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
Chips and Tunning

Any recommendations on a new chip, or sending of the computer to get tuned?

Back when I had an WRX STi there were tons on engine management options but there does not seem to be a lot for the 2 gen Tacomas.

I have a TRD CAI and cat back, not planning on any other engine mods other than some tuning.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Save your money and time. It has little to no effect on these trucks.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
The APR X-1 kit will provide you a great EMS, and you will see very noticeable gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Save your money and time. It has little to no effect on these trucks.
I guess if 20hp/30lbs of torque is no effect..
Old 10-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
The APR X-1 kit will provide you a great EMS, and you will see very noticeable gains.

was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post

I was referring to the "chips or sending the comp to get tuned". I don't consider the APR a "chip".
Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
urd maf cal
Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I was referring to the "chips or sending the comp to get tuned". I don't consider the APR a "chip".
What do you consider them then?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
What do you consider them then?
I have always thought of them as "Tunners".
Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
What about an MAF Cal.?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What about an MAF Cal.?
Same. "Chips" I have considered as those "Jet" chips, and such....
Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotcha. Well then those for our truck are pointless, and expensive.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Kinda why I consider the APR X-1, and the MAF Cal. in a different catigory. And, they can be tunned, where as most "Chips" cant be.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #13

Marines:
Quote:

Quote:
What he said.
Quote:
Yeah, when some one mentions chips, I think of the Uni, Jet, or those $25 "+2000hp/+45MPG" increase scammers. The APR and URD are tried and true and can be adjusted. I should have elaborated that in my original response.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
victory24 is on a distinguished road

victory24's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Unichip. From what I heard they are pretty good. The only thing is when I looked at their website they only had one for the FJ which I think is the same engine as the V6 Tacoma. They are stating about a 25 to 27 horsepower gain, and this plug and play kit does not make a footprint on your stock ECU.

http://www.unichip.us/
Old 10-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by victory24 View Post
Check out Unichip. From what I heard they are pretty good. The only thing is when I looked at their website they only had one for the FJ which I think is the same engine as the V6 Tacoma. They are stating about a 25 to 27 horsepower gain, and this plug and play kit does not make a footprint on your stock ECU.

http://www.unichip.us/
No. We were just discussing how it's not worth it.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #16
victory24 is on a distinguished road

victory24's Tacoma Gallery
Oh sorry guys, I should have read everything. LOL
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 AM   #17

Interesting that Unichip uses a smoothing factor of "8". And their dyno runs seem to be corrected/converted into crank hp......Im sensing shenanigans.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #18
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Not to get off the topic of the 2nd gen, but is there anything out there for a 1st gen 3rz?? All I have found is the worthless jet chip.