LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

True Flow XDI causing black exhaust smoke???

Old 02-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Gonzo is on a distinguished road

Gonzo's Tacoma Gallery
True Flow XDI causing black exhaust smoke???

I installed an XDI a week ago, and I'm still getting a bad Air/Fuel mixture causing black smoke "Carbon Burn"??? Is this normal? It only happens when reving the engine above 5500 Rpm in neutral when the motor is cold...
Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like carbon... But why would you want to be reving your engine like that... Especially while it's cold?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #3

Gonzo's Tacoma Gallery
It happened this morning while half asleep. I did try reving it again once I arrived at work and it did'nt smoke as much, but still smoked! It's been buggin me all day!! Has anyone in TacomaWorld ever seen, or had this problem with True Flows XDI????
Old 02-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #4

Gonzo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks PHANTOM! I'll check that out in the mornin. If the mixture IS rich, will I need to get the motor Dyno tested???? Friggin truck is only 4 months old with 6200 miles on it, my first engine mod is a CAI and I'm having problems already!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
I <3 Boost
utixrunner is on a distinguished road

utixrunner's Tacoma Gallery
The black smoke is not caused by you running rich, it is because when you install a CAI on this truck it removes the stock carbon trap. Also probably not a good idea to rev high until you motor is warm.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Thanks PHANTOM! I'll check that out in the mornin. If the mixture IS rich, will I need to get the motor Dyno tested???? Friggin truck is only 4 months old with 6200 miles on it, my first engine mod is a CAI and I'm having problems already!

im gonna go ahead and tell you for a fact that tacomas run pretty rich from the factory anyway........so its relatively normal, and an intake adds to it, unless you install a maf calibrator from urd. i have an airaid intake, and it actually made my truck run a bit richer.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
i have the True Flow XDI and i have never seen black smoke because of it........... but then i'm never revving it that high on a cold engine........
Old 02-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #8

Gonzo's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

Damn! I let the truck sit and warm up today for five minutes or so, and the engine at this point is definitely not cold, (Also, I did'nt rev it this time and while driving away, at less than a Sunday cruise so to speak, I'm still noticing smoke!!! I'm at a loss for any positive words at this point!!! All I could think about on the way home this afternoon was whether, or not to put the factory air intake back on!!! DID IT GET A TRUE FLOW CAI LEMON, OR DID I JUST CHOOSE THE WRONG CAI??? I SHOULD"VE GOT THE URD CAI!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
I <3 Boost

Quote:
Damn! I let the truck sit and warm up today for five minutes or so, and the engine at this point is definitely not cold, (Also, I did'nt rev it this time and while driving away, at less than a Sunday cruise so to speak, I'm still noticing smoke!!! I'm at a loss for any positive words at this point!!! All I could think about on the way home this afternoon was whether, or not to put the factory air intake back on!!! DID IT GET A TRUE FLOW CAI LEMON, OR DID I JUST CHOOSE THE WRONG CAI??? I SHOULD"VE GOT THE URD CAI!!!!!!!!!!!
ok let me just make sure I understand you completely. Under heavy acceleration you are having some black smoke from your exhaust right? not a whole lot but noticeable? If so it is because you have a CAI not because of your afr being out of whack (although it is probably leaner than stock) the reason for the black smoke is because you remove the carbon trap that is on the stock air box. No CAI retains this carbon trap so you will have some slight black smoke. Hope this helps
Old 02-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #10

Gonzo's Tacoma Gallery
THANKS utixrunner!!! That puts me at ease a bit. Question, is not having a carbon trap going to adversely affect my cat.converter or any other part of the system?? Also, this may be for another post, but do you have a short shifter?? I got a URD short shifter on the way and I'm super anxious!!!! Other than being a freak for perfection, I'm loving the new X-Runner!!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
I <3 Boost

Quote:
THANKS utixrunner!!! That puts me at ease a bit. Question, is not having a carbon trap going to adversely affect my cat.converter or any other part of the system?? Also, this may be for another post, but do you have a short shifter?? I got a URD short shifter on the way and I'm super anxious!!!! Other than being a freak for perfection, I'm loving the new X-Runner!!!!
No problem, You should not have any problems with your cats, I havent nor have I heard of anyone blowing cats because of an intake. congrats on the short shifter it makes a huge diffrence. if something were to go wrong with your cats just put the stock airbox back on and take it in, catalytic converters have a 8yr/80,000 mile warranty
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
colttsi is on a distinguished road
colttsi's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason you see black smoke is that you have fuel that did not burn, that is it. Your engine runs richer until it is in closed loop which means that your ecm corrects his mixture by the o2 sensor 's readings. When it is in open loop, it means that he uses other sensors (maf, tps etc...) to try and gauge what the best mixture could be. Once the 02 sensors reach their operating temperature they now become functional so you get in closed loop.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by utixrunner View Post
ok let me just make sure I understand you completely. Under heavy acceleration you are having some black smoke from your exhaust right? not a whole lot but noticeable? If so it is because you have a CAI not because of your afr being out of whack (although it is probably leaner than stock) the reason for the black smoke is because you remove the carbon trap that is on the stock air box. No CAI retains this carbon trap so you will have some slight black smoke. Hope this helps
I just removed my carbon trap AKA secondary filter and I have no black smoke. The carbon trap in the intake does not affect the exhaust, its main purpose is to remove hydrocarbons that may leak from the intake while the engine is shut down. So unless you are somehow sucking carbon in through your intake while you are driving then the carbon trap will have no affect on your exhaust.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #14
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg25 View Post
I just removed my carbon trap AKA secondary filter and I have no black smoke. The carbon trap in the intake does not affect the exhaust, its main purpose is to remove hydrocarbons that may leak from the intake while the engine is shut down. So unless you are somehow sucking carbon in through your intake while you are driving then the carbon trap will have no affect on your exhaust.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't see how removing the secondary filter could cause carbon or anything else weird to exit the tailpipe.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
I <3 Boost

I guess I stand corrected, this has been discussed many times on other forum that Im on but I guess they came to the wrong conclusion
Old 02-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #16

Gonzo's Tacoma Gallery
The black smoke is an absolute mystery to me at this point. Since the truck had no visible sign of running rich, lean, or having blatant black smoke running through the system before removing the stock air box, my thought was that the new CAI was the root cause... I'm baffled at this point as to what is at fault causing the smoke! Any suggestions as to how I'd go about diagnosing the issue whithout getting the dealership involved??? On that note, I had the dealer check the X-Runner for an annoying rattle in the cabin while the radio was at half its potential volume. After three hours, the Tech said there was no problem found!!! Doubt they even checked it out?? That's my guess.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #17
colttsi is on a distinguished road
colttsi's Tacoma Gallery
The only visible sign that tells you you run rich is the black smoke coming out of your exhaust. There are many things that can cause that and only an experienced mechanic would know where to look to find the problem.
If you only see black smoke coming out in cold conditions after start up, stop revving your engine when it s cold, it is borderline normal. If it does the same thing when it s hot, now there really is something wrong.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #18
dwb is on a distinguished road

dwb's Tacoma Gallery
Black Smoke

Dude, stop taking advice from people and call True Flow. Tell them what's going on and hopefully they can help you. They may even send you another intake. Did you relieve the filter of all excess oil before you installed it.? Are you sure the filter has remained seated in the XDI can? There are several questions you need to address before you get discouraged. It's probably something silly and easy to fix. My advice is to call True Flow support.

Good Luck.......dwb
Old 02-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #19
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwb View Post
Dude, stop taking advice from people and call True Flow. Tell them what's going on and hopefully they can help you. They may even send you another intake. Did you relieve the filter of all eccess oil before you installed it.? Are you sure the filter has remained seated in the XDI can? There are several questions you need to address before you get discouraged. It's probably something silly and easy to fix. My advice is to call True Flow support.

Good Luck.......dwb
Although sound advice, taking suggestions from the forum ultimately leads to the fix, that is one of our purposes, offering direction and experience. That's why he asked...
Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #20
dwb is on a distinguished road

dwb's Tacoma Gallery
I just feel that if he needs advice from the forum, the best advice he can get is to contact True Flow asap. .....Right?

Products Discussed in this Thread