Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

chip

Old 11-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
willotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: will
willotaco's Tacoma Gallery
chip

i want a chip for hp and more tourqe... and to go faster what chip would be good.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

No "chips" for the Tacoma
Old 11-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say doritoes...maybe some sun chips, if you're feeling eco friendly.

No but seriously, I really wanted a chipped vehicle when I was looking for a Taco, but it turns out there aren't any easy ways to do it that would yield any real power.

If you're still serious, you can look into this: http://www.gadgetonline.com/U-Tune.pdf
Old 11-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
im pretty sure unichip makes one......it doesnt really do anything but they do exist
Unichip is actually a timing controler. Not really a "Chip" as it allows the user to alter and adjust different perameters.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
The URD MAF Sensor Calibrator is the hottest performance value going:

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260198051

G
Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD View Post
The URD MAF Sensor Calibrator is the hottest performance value going:

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260198051

G
Are these availible for the First gen 3.4's?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willotaco View Post
wow ur a joke i can race on the side of the road in the mud on the track where ever i want i just wont to go faster so im asking people that know alot about tacomas damn

haha. dude you're a douche. He was trying to help you.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
willotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: will
willotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed_SS View Post
haha. dude you're a douche. He was trying to help you.
i know he was helping but a duche talks like that fyi wat the hell is that ha ha this aint cyber world. and we dont look apon racing .. well i do ha ha he just said it weird ha ha................................................ .................................................. ................ wat kinda cold air should i get.................
Old 11-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
You're making yourself look like an idiot dude. How about using punctuation and asking real questions?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Evans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ty
Evans381's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Unichip is actually a timing controler. Not really a "Chip" as it allows the user to alter and adjust different perameters.
Ok so can you just elaborate a little? Like what is your definition of a chip?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Evans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to beholdEvans381 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
x2 does this mean the the Edge "chip" in my dads Duramax is not a chip because it looks to pretty much do the same thing, tunes the engine for maximum HP and torque.
lol x2.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #13

well i guess if you get specific but im pretty sure most ppl define a chip as any programmer that gives hp and/or torque gain.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
A chip woud be pre programmed and unchangable by the owner of the vehicle. It is done at the company. The programmers allow you to tune your vehicle, you can make changes every day if you would like. A chip also doesn't plug into your OBDII port, it has a permenate spot.
Agreed. To add....I belive the URD MAF Calibrator and APX-1 are a "permanent" install, as they are wired in, unless you get the availible wiring harness. When someone says "Chip", I imediatly think of those little resistors that people seel to keep their vehicles in closed loop. And, "Chipping" a deisel is pretty east to do. You just tell the ECU to dump more fuel. No timing issues to worry about, just watch the EGT's.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
A chip - it just has selectable programs
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #17

No buddy I didn't want to know more about it. I was asking chris what his definition was cause I wanted to compare it to mine... The Op wanted a "device" that added hp and torque, and I'm sure he didn't know the difference between a programmer and chip like most ppl. (since theres not a big difference anyway) so chris stated there wasnt a chip for tacomas when in fact there is. (UniCHIP) Whether you wanna call it a chip or programmer it still does what the OP wanted... Add hp and torque. So for the OP.... Unichip makes a chip/programmer that adds hp and torque for your 03 tacoma. Its $495 plus shipping. End of story
Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
want to go faster in a Tacoma, don't do it the lazy way. Supercharger, lighten the truck, different tires, gearing, different cam shaft, etc. - I really do not know how built up you can make the 3.4 motor on these things, but a quick forum/google search will yield results, you are not venturing into unknown or undocumented territory, the 3.4 engine has been out for a while, so if there is aftermarket parts, someone bought it, installed it, and showed it off, and in todays world, it is much easier to show it off online, so search!

While retuning the ecu/adjusting the timing is essential when heavily modifing the engine, it should be done in conjunction with mods that will make real horsepower/torque. I miss the good old days (which is ironic because im only 23), slap in an exhaust/intake, camshaft, adjust the timing/fuel mixture, and gogogo. Then buy new tires after you wreck the stock ones.

Changed 4.0 to 3.4 to reflect OP's engine size, although the statement remains the same.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #19

The OP has an 03 3.4L just so you know. ^^^
Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #20
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans381 View Post
No buddy I didn't want to know more about it. I was asking chris what his definition was cause I wanted to compare it to mine... The Op wanted a "device" that added hp and torque, and I'm sure he didn't know the difference between a programmer and chip like most ppl. (since theres not a big difference anyway) so chris stated there wasnt a chip for tacomas when in fact there is. (UniCHIP) Whether you wanna call it a chip or programmer it still does what the OP wanted... Add hp and torque. So for the OP.... Unichip makes a chip/programmer that adds hp and torque for your 03 tacoma. Its $495 plus shipping. End of story
There is a huge difference! Ask Gadget or check out the URD website. The end result is Hp and TQ. With the programmer if you ever make changes to your vehicle you can optimize performance. Some chips will have 3 pre set options which you choose from upon purchase. The programmer allows you and your vehicle to grow and change ie larger tires, regearing, air filter changes and much more as well as adjustments for elevation. Urd makes a semi permanete programmer with plug and play wires for incase you wish to return your vehicle to stock.

Oh and the reason chris said there was no chip for the Tacoma is because the chips are a waste of money on our trucks, so there are some options but you'll get real life gains of as much hp and torque as installing a bag of Doritos on your dash.