1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Urd True Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by cathrillseekers, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Feb 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM
    cathrillseekers

cathrillseekers [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    None yet, that is why I am here.
    A bunch of the guys on recommended this over the AirRaid or K&N instake which are simple bolt ins. I know they are not true cold air, just higher flow of air.

Has anyone installed it in '08? Has anyone gotten into warranty issues with Toyota on this installation? I really don't want to be cutting into sheet metal, but will if it really out performs I will. Anyone run into problems with this in the desert "dust" or wet conditions? Also it says not for California has anyone run into problems with being within SMOG testing in CA?

Thanks...JT

2. Feb 21, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I have one and I love it. I can't compare it to anything else though. Definite acceleration increase.

I haven't had any warranty work done. If I do, they need to prove that the intake caused the problem.

I'm in Louisiana and they only do a visual inspection of the cats after 5 years.

3. Feb 21, 2008 at 8:16 PM
    cathrillseekers

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    Thanks for the advisement, I prefer responses with first hand experience. :) Rather stating facts I have in the VC.

4. Feb 21, 2008 at 9:42 PM
    cathrillseekers

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    Thank you Phantom for your help. I asking for experince info on the questions I orginally posted. I was hoping this board is not a bunch of people trying to pick fights rather then helping people that are looking from answer to questions they have asked.

To what you said earlier "remove and take a full smog test ok real world
    unless you are on a first name basis with the CHP and do something stupid you will just have to smog check your car " I am not CHP, but PD. That is why I said VC "Vehicle Code." I know the laws and regs. I am asking experience on the questions I posted on topic. I can always get things signed off. Just asking experience on Tacoma and URD TCAI.

Thank you again Phantom....NEXT

5. Feb 22, 2008 at 9:05 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Phantom wasn't trying to pick a fight with you here. I am sure he read your previous response just as I did, and that was that you are the one who is coming across as trying to pick a fight.

In no way should anyone know that you are PD you didn't fill out that section of your profile, and using job related acronyms is a great way to lead to mis-interperatation. Untill just now I had no idea that VC means vehicle code in Cali. it's MVR motor vehicle regulation over here on the other coast.

What Phantom was saying by being on a first name basis with CHP, I assume is that if you were not in Law Enforcement and instead were a punk kid who was into street racing or something and getting pulled over on a regular basis and had a sheet. He was saying that unless you showed prior cause, then you would likely only have to remove the offending part, and get smogged, and not impounded and re-registered and all that other happy BS.

His second post was in response to your response which I read as you questioning his qualifications to say what he did.

As for your original question. As I understand, (and I was looking into purchasing the URD CAI for a while) dust will not be a problem, nor will normal rain or road spray. However serious off-roading with deep water crossings will.

As for people who have them installed. PB2themax and Spyder327 are the resident experts on the product (though neither from Cali) and anyone with an 05-08 will be able to answer questions about it's performance as there have been no changes to the engine in that amount of time.

To EVERYONE:

Please check your wording in your responses carefully before sending as with this forum getting larger every day, we risk getting a rep like TTORA or ToyotaNation as the newer guys do not know the writing style of those of us that have been here breaking eachother's stones in jest for some time now, and that leaves things open to mis-interperitation. Let's Keep TacomaWorld friendly.

Regards

6. Feb 22, 2008 at 9:33 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Also, with the URD intake, you need to extend the wires to get the MAF sensor to the proper location. That was the part that I dreaded the most.

As far as URD performance, my 0-60 time went down .4 seconds with just the intake. I've been sitting on the MAF calibrator for a few months. I might get it installed this weekend and will post new numbers on performance.

Don't worry about Phantom. He's very serious, but he is just trying to help.

7. Feb 22, 2008 at 11:34 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    07 trd off road. Installed the URD TCAI a few months ago. The truck is ALOT more fun to drive. keep telling myself ill get the MAF cal soon. just got a nice bonus at work so maby ill order it now (along with that 46" sony flat screen ive been drooling over:D)
    Dont worry about water either. Ive had the intake pretty much soaked and it runs without a hiccup.

8. Feb 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    be sure to check out the plug n play harness available now. I mentioned it here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/6145-urd-plug-n-play-harnesses-available.html

Products Discussed in

To Top