1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snorkal???

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by sandman427, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Nov 18, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    x2.. or im gonna have shop do it... as much as info as im learning on here i still am little weary about doing it myself....

2. Nov 19, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    haha nice well make sure you take some pics of the install so i can see what i would be getting my self into

3. Nov 19, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    yea deff... i would also like to know as well.... how much were they selling for..??

4. Nov 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    Man I have thought about gettin a snorkel too, it would be pretty bad ass lol.

5. Nov 19, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    thats not a bad price range..?? thanks again... do u know if they would be able to do it or should i take it to a "custom" shop..??

6. Nov 19, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    BigAndy21966

BigAndy21966 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Racoon City
    Vehicle:
    Wifeys build 2004 Tacoma TRD
    2.5" Toytec lift Cobra 148 SSB CB radio Soon: Snorkle, grey wire mod
    Toytec has one for gen 1s at $349... hah hah gen 1s rule, gen 2 drool.

7. Nov 19, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    agghhh i hat u lol.... hahaha im sure the will eventually make one

8. Jan 18, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    DIVER_5

DIVER_5 DIVER_5

Member:
    First Name:
    LAWRENCE
    VALDEZ ALASKA
    Vehicle:
    SILVER WITH A TON OF MONEY IN AND ON IT.
    6" PRO COMP LIFT, PRO COMP SKID PLATE, FABTECH PRERUNNER BAR, 9" PROCOMP LIGHTS, 6000K hid HEADLAMPS WITH BLACK LENS'S, 19" ROCKSTAR WHEELS, 33" GOODYEAR MTR TIRES, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND SOUND PIONEER SYSTEM WITH DVD, NAV, BLUE TOOTH & BACK UP CAMERA, 10" CUSTOM SUB BOX BEHIND REAR SEAT, ROCK SLIDER BARS WELDED ON, WITH LINE-X TO MATCH THE LINE-X PRERUNNER BAR
    I wish I had your money damn... Your doing everything that I wish I could do. What are you a doctor?
    Well anyhow, I just wanted to comment on your Snorkel. That looks really good. I know from talking it over with people they either really like em, or hate em.
    I think it looks great though. Anyhow, I just wanted to know, do you have any regrets getting it? I am going to order mine on Friday. I am payng $350.00 plus S&H from a local rep here in Clearwater fl.
    I better site to order it from that you can think of ?
    I am going to call ARB in Seattle tomorrow to see what they are selling it for.
    You mentioned having to make your own adjustments for it to fit since it is for the Hilux? I know it may not just bolt right up but it seemed failrly simple to do. Was there any huge hurdles you had to over come to get it done?
    The safari site also mentions better fuel economy? I'll be straight up with you. Im doing it for the looks. Anything else is just a bonus.
    Just curious if you noticed a difference in MPG?

Thanks for your time my friend,

Envyous..

9. Jan 18, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
  10. Jan 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    What about rain getting in the snorkel or if you go through a puddle too fast and splash water into it? ive been through puddles plenty of times where water has gone way over my truck

11. Jan 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I dont think the splash effect will provide too much water into the snorkel and even if it did it would take a lot for it all to make it in to the filter. you have to take in consideration how much will actually get through and the length of the snorkel as well as the 90 degree turn it takes and then the length from there to th efilter. most of that moisture will just be setting on the walls of the snorkel.

I cant see it being that much of a worry unless you really pour it in there.

Also this will answer some of your concerns for the rain issue...
    http://www.4x4connection.com/tech/snorkeltech.htm

12. Jan 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Have any of the shops that make snorkels done dyno runs to check for power loss from restrictions or issues with changes to the helmholz (still not sure if I believe in this effect myself, but I've met some pretty knowledgeable guys who do) tuning of the intake pipe?

Also, for dust protection is there enough room to consider adding a cyclonic collector into the inlet line? I know this might be maintainence-intensive as it'd require emptying from time to time, but location or some sort of remote-operating valve could make that part realatively easy. Also could be a source of inlet restriction on its own depending on the sizing (which is why I'm wondering if there's losses from a snorkel).

13. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    The snorkel aspirates cleaner than the stock intake. The air filter can more than handle any dust that gets in. You don't need a cyclic collector or flux capacitor.

The way the snorkel head is designed any water will condense on the sides, get caught by a large (I mean friggin huge) washer and run out openings on the sides of the snorkel head. Anything below the snorkel head should be completely sealed with silicone or it kinda defeats the purpose. Blasting full throttle into deep water is bad juju. You shouldn't be worrying about roof high water spray when you roll through deep water slow and controlled with a good wake coming off the hood.

My old truck had a snorkel. New truck is definitely getting a snorkel with tax money.

14. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Thanks for clearing that up luni... I guess I never really understood how the snorkel worked

15. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    Yea I did my homework before I got a snorkel the first time. It looked like a giant funnel strapped to the A-pillar until I saw how it works. The ARB snorkels come with a diagram in the installation instructions that explain the mechanics (hydrodynamics?) of the snorkel head really well. If you're concerned you can always flip the snorkel head backwards. I've been told it really doesn't matter though, just personal preference. Like wearing a baseball hat.

16. Jan 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    I was thinking of using a collector instead of a snorkel to deal with heavy trail dust/dirt since I'm planning on putting in a high-flow filter element for street driving. Not planning on off-roading anywhere that deep water/mud would really be an issue (mostly mountains in CA and possibly some desert runs since that's what's around here).

Plus mostly I'll be driving around L.A. and I have to park the truck on the street so I'm more concerned with keeping as stock an appearance as possible than I am with being able to ford rivers.

17. Jan 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    I wasn't disputing that the snorkel would protect from dust as well as allow deep water capability. I'm just saying that I personally only have a use for one of those two functions, and I have an additional concern of retaining stock appearance which undoubtedly doesn't factor into everyone else's decision on the mod.

That's why I'm wondering if there's a performance impact from the snorkel which might be similar to the performance loss I could expect from an alternative dust protection system, and if there's even room under the hood (or maybe in the fender) for such an alternative collector.

18. Jan 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Wow silverbacks thanks for the help... Cuz to be honest i only thought the snorkal was for under water applications... I do live in te desert and maybe it will be some what benifical to have..??

19. Jan 20, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR

20. Jan 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gens look mean with a Snorkel! I'm ordering one ASAP! The dust and sand out here is killer on the trail...well, everywhere really...

Products Discussed in

To Top