Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD Cold Air Intake opinions

Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
jeffsorensen1 is on a distinguished road
jeffsorensen1's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Cold Air Intake opinions

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum... I just bought an 05 Tacoma last week and i freakin love it! I can't believe how much more power it has than my old 94 toyota pickup. But I'm always looking for more, and i'm planning on installing a TRD Cold Air Intake, and doing a new Magnaflow muffler in a couple weeks. Anybody had bad experiences with either of these mods??? please let me know. It would be between K&N and TRD intake, I'm pretty sure i'd go with TRD unless somebody could argue otherwise.

Also i was thinking about doing 3" pipes back from the Cat, because i've got plans to maybe do a supercharger this fall, Should i stick with the 2.5 inch or is it better to go bigger??

Not looking for the cheapest one... just the best.

Please respond!! thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the TRD intake and am very pleased with it. Fit and finish are tough to beat since it comes straight from Toyota. I have no idea on dyno numbers since I never ran my truck on one but it does sound better.

I've never run a supercharger so someone else will have to chime in on the exhaust question. 3" would be overkill for a naturally aspirated v6.

And of course, welcome to TW! Post some more pics of your truck when you get a chance. It's looking pretty sweet!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
kwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kwalton's Tacoma Gallery
in the past 2 weeks i have added the trd intake and exhaust to my truck. i must say that i am more than pleased with the outcome. fit and finish on both is spot on perfect. install was a breeze as well. stepping on the gas is so much more fun now however not so good for the mpg. i will have to start driving normal again on the next tank to see how much it changes.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
I <3 Boost
utixrunner is on a distinguished road

utixrunner's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan to do a supercharger than it will be a good idea to get a 3" cat-back exhaust. Even if you dont get the supercharger you wont be losing any performance by going 3" instead of 2.5"
Old 02-27-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfranks View Post
So has anybody noticed a gain in MPG with either the intake and/or the exhaust ?? If so, how much was the gain??
99.9% of potential MPG gains go up in a puff of tire smoke.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
i have the Magnaflow 3" system on my truck and i love it, great exhaust tone and no difference in mpg although lately i have been getting good mpg. I'll take down mpg and post it later.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Dutch will become famous soon enough
Dutch's Tacoma Gallery
I got the TRD CAI along with the TRD Cat Back first. Installed both and did not notice a huge difference in power. Lots of noise though! Switched to Magnaflow and deeper growl, but same power. Other mods followed that changed exhaust sound dramatically. TRD CAI does look nice.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
ShoeDr is on a distinguished road
ShoeDr's Tacoma Gallery
K&N here and Dynomax exhaust. Don't expect mpg gains, because you'll miss both the woosh from the CAI and the rumble from the catback and end up stomping it pretty often. I'm going to dyno my truck hoepfully next week before I add the URD MAF and DT shorty headers.