Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Cheap noticable performance upgrades

Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap noticable performance upgrades

I am intersted in finding cheap upgrades that make real differences.

I removed my secondary air filter, don't know if it improved my gas mileage yet but it sure improve my throttle response and acceleration.
I ran some 0-60 passes. 5spd automatic V6 4DR in overdrive.
Factory primary and secondary filters 8.04 seconds
Factory primary no secondary filter 7.86 seconds impressive

This tank of gas has been getting dogged and still achieved 17.84 mpg. I was just wondering if any other ppl have done and can verify any mods. I have the 4.0 5spd auto, 4DR 4x4, 16" steel wheels. No other real upgrades just some vent visors and a bug flector.

I would like to know if anyone simple replaced the air filter and noticed any improvements.

I would also like to know if anyone replaced their muffler and gained improvements. I am not interested in changing the sound, it will be a by product. I don't want to spend the money making it sound different if that is the only gain.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced the stock air filter with an AFE Dry Pro S filter. I don't have any hard performance numbers but my butt dyno claims it made at least as much of a difference as removing the secondary filter. For about $30 I consider it a cheap upgrade.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
you can get a couple horses with a new muffler, at a fairly low price(i paid $54 for my flowmaster 40) but there will be a very different sound. (louder and deeper) i love the sound, depending on what you're looking for, you may think differently.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
Wow i love the youtube videos you have. That looks like a blast. I need to find a field like that. Was is your field and do you care that you have no grass there after. sooo jealous
Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a popular thread put together by PiercedTiger http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html

I'm not too sure about a way to get cheap HP. Mine has been pretty pricey.

Cool videos by the way.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Glad yall enjoyed the videos. Hoping to get more. As I do upgrades i'll document it.

Colinb17
I like the sound of the 40 series, i'm not really aiming for more horses but wanting to make it more efficient. I just don't feel the trucks are performing at their best.

Isocoee
I have seen those mods. There are some really great ones in their.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I am not familiar with the dry filter can you give me more info on it.

Here are some links. Pro Dry S data AFE filter link One of several sellers
Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
My other ride has sails

Roland's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. They're not the best I've seen at getting their info at the top of the search engines... I guess that's why they stick to making filters