1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap noticable performance upgrades

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by luk8272, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:21 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I am intersted in finding cheap upgrades that make real differences.

I removed my secondary air filter, don't know if it improved my gas mileage yet but it sure improve my throttle response and acceleration.
    I ran some 0-60 passes. 5spd automatic V6 4DR in overdrive.
    Factory primary and secondary filters 8.04 seconds :eek:
    Factory primary no secondary filter 7.86 seconds :eek: impressive

This tank of gas has been getting dogged and still achieved 17.84 mpg. I was just wondering if any other ppl have done and can verify any mods. I have the 4.0 5spd auto, 4DR 4x4, 16" steel wheels. No other real upgrades just some vent visors and a bug flector.

I would like to know if anyone simple replaced the air filter and noticed any improvements.

I would also like to know if anyone replaced their muffler and gained improvements. I am not interested in changing the sound, it will be a by product. I don't want to spend the money making it sound different if that is the only gain.

2. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I replaced the stock air filter with an AFE Dry Pro S filter. I don't have any hard performance numbers but my butt dyno claims it made at least as much of a difference as removing the secondary filter. For about $30 I consider it a cheap upgrade.

3. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I am not familiar with the dry filter can you give me more info on it. I did a search on it on the net but it sends me to the AFE cold air kits. I am more familiar with the K&N setups. Is their a plus side to the dry filter?

4. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:39 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    you can get a couple horses with a new muffler, at a fairly low price(i paid $54 for my flowmaster 40) but there will be a very different sound. (louder and deeper) i love the sound, depending on what you're looking for, you may think differently.

5. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    stratton

stratton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow i love the youtube videos you have. That looks like a blast. I need to find a field like that. Was is your field and do you care that you have no grass there after. sooo jealous

6. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  7. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    The field actually belonged to a friend, thats where we usually park our trucks to go hunting. Those videos of the trucks are to document the progress we make on the trucks. The trucks are completely stock. The chevelle is nowheres near stock. I am used to owning american muscle.

8. Feb 27, 2008 at 7:56 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Glad yall enjoyed the videos. Hoping to get more. As I do upgrades i'll document it.

Colinb17
    I like the sound of the 40 series, i'm not really aiming for more horses but wanting to make it more efficient. I just don't feel the trucks are performing at their best.

Isocoee
    I have seen those mods. There are some really great ones in their.

9. Feb 28, 2008 at 5:06 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
  10. Feb 28, 2008 at 5:17 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thank you sir. I was having a helluva time finding info.

11. Feb 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    No problem. They're not the best I've seen at getting their info at the top of the search engines... I guess that's why they stick to making filters :D

Products Discussed in

To Top