1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo charger for the tacoma...........

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by midV6size, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Feb 28, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    midV6size

midV6size [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Just seen this site and thought that it would be the cats PJ's hooking up to the Tacoma!! What do you all think?

http://www.ststurbo.com/

2. Feb 28, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    Spyder327

Spyder327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    A kit for the 4.0l tacomas (05-08) is already being developed from STS

3. Feb 28, 2008 at 12:42 PM
    midV6size

Member:
    This kit mounts under the truck, so the heat from the turbo isn't under the hood and the air is also cooler as well. Check it out, pretty cool!! 58% boost in HP aint bad either!!

4. Feb 28, 2008 at 12:46 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    any guesses on the cost? This looks like it would be cheaper than a S/C, but I have no idea!

5. Feb 28, 2008 at 12:51 PM
    utixrunner

utixrunner I <3 Boost

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 SWB X-Runner
    TRD S/C, DT Long Tube Headers, Jardine Catback, TRD Intake, Trd Short shifter, TTC Dual Traction Bars, Sway bar bushing kit, c2c lowering kit, lots of other little things
    I had one on my 05...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMO the trd charger is a better option, pulls harder at less boost. But boost is boost

6. Feb 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM
    Spyder327

Spyder327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    maybe slightly cheaper than the S/C, but you need to remember you will also need fuel mods and something to do tuning with...

7. Feb 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm just dreaming. I think my performance mods will end when I get some headers and exhaust.

I'm too worried about gas becoming so expensive that I can't afford the Tacoma.

8. Feb 28, 2008 at 2:19 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    OK, I know how turbos work and I know how superchargers work, I mean physically how the devices work. I don't claim to understand the tuning, and fuel map needs of the forced induction systems, but just the mechanics of them.

That said, I fail to see how this particular device could be anything but dangerous to itself and the truck it's attached to in off-road situations.

Particualrly after seeing the photos you posted utixrunner thanks for those btw.

It just seems like it is begging to get hit by a rock in a rock crawling situation, or to suck in a big bunch of water through the eventual holes that rubber hose in a deep water crossing.

Now not everyone uses their trucks like this, particularly x-runners, but I am just not getting the purpose of putting vital componants like this under a 4wd truck.

Any one else agree with me on this, and I of-course as always welcome other opinions and those willing to explain to me how those concerns were addressed if they already have been.

9. Feb 28, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    utixrunner

utixrunner I <3 Boost

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 SWB X-Runner
    TRD S/C, DT Long Tube Headers, Jardine Catback, TRD Intake, Trd Short shifter, TTC Dual Traction Bars, Sway bar bushing kit, c2c lowering kit, lots of other little things
    well the turbo sits well above the frame rails so it was fine for what I would use it for, just every now and then off road stuff. I never had a problem with water either, not saying its not a possibility just never happened with me. Now just so its known, this is not the production kit for the 05+. This is there universal system that they modified for my truck Im sure there will be some differences in the one the produce for the kit.

10. Feb 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I suppress this fear every time I get in my truck. One wrong move and there goes thousands! I don't think about it. I guess no matter how much you spend on S/C or turbo, things can happen. I like the idea of turbo in the Taco (sounds like my last girlfriend)..........seriously.....there are turbo blowers on the market that can be adapted to the Taco as I looked into this a while back. I settled for the S/C because I have more experience with them, but am not ruling out change.

11. Feb 29, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    midV6size

Member:
    Personally, I for one, don't get into off roading, rock climbing, or burying it up to the frame in water in any 4x4, just because they cost way to much to abuse like that. I want a dependable vehicle to get me back and forth to work and to the hunting camp, and that has a great re-sale value down the road. I also do quite a lot of driving on the road, approx. 20,000 miles per year.
    So for me, this "turbo under the truck" will work very nicely.

12. Feb 29, 2008 at 7:19 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I agree with you that this system would be far less likely to suffer damage in on-road situations, or even in less than extreme off-road situations. So I suppose that my real question is what is the real practical benefit to routing the turbo under the truck. I mean I get that it is cooler under the truck than in the engine bay, but at the end of the day the turbine is still being spun by exhaust gasses, which are hot, and as such some of that heat is transfered to the incoming air through the turbine, and then you have a much longer air intake run back up to the engine so that is more restriction. So while I can see how theoretically the turbo in cooler air could be beneficiall, I just don't see how in practical application that wouldn't be negated by the longer and more restrictive intake tubing.

Yes, any turbo makes more power than a N/A engine, but how is this any better than a standard in engine bay turbo?

13. Feb 29, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    utixrunner

utixrunner I <3 Boost

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 SWB X-Runner
    The main advantage is ease of installation. You dont need a turbo manifold made and have to worry about clearing AC lines and all that. Also with that long of a charge pipe it acts like an intercooler

14. Feb 29, 2008 at 8:12 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I didn't think of it that way. It kind-of makes sense now. Thank you.

15. Jun 25, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    Yes the sts kit was designed for easy install. Yes the inlet gas does get heated up bye the turbo heat and the heat from compressing a gas. But on its way back to the engine i does cool down a little. When you think about the boost in the return pipe think about it like compressed air in a shop the compresor is in the back but the whole system has equal presure.

There are 2 big advantages to the turbo.

1 it doesnt take power the supercharger can take horsepower to turn the impeller the turbo works off burnt gas.

2 if you keep your foot out of it the turbo doesnt boost up and use more gas.

16. Jun 25, 2008 at 7:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Modern Superchargers have very little parasitic drag on the motor. And most have a bypass valve alowing the engine to run like N/A and draw a vaccume.
    Also, a turbo isnt "Free h.p.". It DOES creat a drag on the engine in the form of an obstruction in the exhaust. It has a parasitic affect on the motor. If you have ever seen a dyno chart of a bolt on turbo kit, almost all the time, the h.p. falls off in the lower rpms., and the AFR goes way down. Superchargers, IMHO, are a better way to get more power.

17. Feb 4, 2017 at 9:55 PM
    Brecop

Brecop Member

Member:
    I'm still debating turbo vs sc. I thought the goal was to run 3psi at elevation to keep the vacuum required to make a motor run efficiently. Run 6lbs of boost, you actually only get 3 pounds because of atmospheric pressure, turbo or sc. Am I wrong in thinking and research? My cummins ran 65 pounds of boost. I know the sc will boost on the bottom end and turbo after 2500rpm, but, daily driving?
    Would just like some input from others who have done either

707spartan likes this.
  18. Feb 4, 2017 at 10:56 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Lol.....last post to this thread was 9 years ago.

SnowroxKT likes this.
  19. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:17 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    If you have a 6 psi spring but are only seeing 3 at the engine, then something is wrong with the setup.

20. Feb 6, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    timothom

timothom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Access cab sr5
    Kenwood DMX7705S PrecisionPower Phantom 900.4 Alpine type-r 8" Image Dyanmics CXS64.2
    Hey @Torspd , how many 4.0L engines have you blown up anyway? :)

yota243 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top