Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Turbo charger for the tacoma...........

Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
midV6size is on a distinguished road
midV6size's Tacoma Gallery
Turbo charger for the tacoma...........

Just seen this site and thought that it would be the cats PJ's hooking up to the Tacoma!! What do you all think?

http://www.ststurbo.com/
Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
A kit for the 4.0l tacomas (05-08) is already being developed from STS
Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Thumbs up

This kit mounts under the truck, so the heat from the turbo isn't under the hood and the air is also cooler as well. Check it out, pretty cool!! 58% boost in HP aint bad either!!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
any guesses on the cost? This looks like it would be cheaper than a S/C, but I have no idea!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
I <3 Boost
utixrunner is on a distinguished road

utixrunner's Tacoma Gallery
I had one on my 05...

IMO the trd charger is a better option, pulls harder at less boost. But boost is boost
Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Spyder327 is on a distinguished road

Spyder327's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Spyder327
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
any guesses on the cost? This looks like it would be cheaper than a S/C, but I have no idea!
maybe slightly cheaper than the S/C, but you need to remember you will also need fuel mods and something to do tuning with...
Old 02-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just dreaming. I think my performance mods will end when I get some headers and exhaust.

I'm too worried about gas becoming so expensive that I can't afford the Tacoma.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
OK, I know how turbos work and I know how superchargers work, I mean physically how the devices work. I don't claim to understand the tuning, and fuel map needs of the forced induction systems, but just the mechanics of them.

That said, I fail to see how this particular device could be anything but dangerous to itself and the truck it's attached to in off-road situations.

Particualrly after seeing the photos you posted utixrunner thanks for those btw.

It just seems like it is begging to get hit by a rock in a rock crawling situation, or to suck in a big bunch of water through the eventual holes that rubber hose in a deep water crossing.

Now not everyone uses their trucks like this, particularly x-runners, but I am just not getting the purpose of putting vital componants like this under a 4wd truck.

Any one else agree with me on this, and I of-course as always welcome other opinions and those willing to explain to me how those concerns were addressed if they already have been.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
I <3 Boost

well the turbo sits well above the frame rails so it was fine for what I would use it for, just every now and then off road stuff. I never had a problem with water either, not saying its not a possibility just never happened with me. Now just so its known, this is not the production kit for the 05+. This is there universal system that they modified for my truck Im sure there will be some differences in the one the produce for the kit.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
Dutch will become famous soon enough
Dutch's Tacoma Gallery
I suppress this fear every time I get in my truck. One wrong move and there goes thousands! I don't think about it. I guess no matter how much you spend on S/C or turbo, things can happen. I like the idea of turbo in the Taco (sounds like my last girlfriend)..........seriously.....there are turbo blowers on the market that can be adapted to the Taco as I looked into this a while back. I settled for the S/C because I have more experience with them, but am not ruling out change.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
It just seems like it is begging to get hit by a rock in a rock crawling situation, or to suck in a big bunch of water through the eventual holes that rubber hose in a deep water crossing.

Now not everyone uses their trucks like this, particularly x-runners, but I am just not getting the purpose of putting vital componants like this under a 4wd truck.

Any one else agree with me on this, and I of-course as always welcome other opinions and those willing to explain to me how those concerns were addressed if they already have been.
Personally, I for one, don't get into off roading, rock climbing, or burying it up to the frame in water in any 4x4, just because they cost way to much to abuse like that. I want a dependable vehicle to get me back and forth to work and to the hunting camp, and that has a great re-sale value down the road. I also do quite a lot of driving on the road, approx. 20,000 miles per year.
So for me, this "turbo under the truck" will work very nicely.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #12
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by midV6size View Post
Personally, I for one, don't get into off roading, rock climbing, or burying it up to the frame in water in any 4x4, just because they cost way to much to abuse like that. I want a dependable vehicle to get me back and forth to work and to the hunting camp, and that has a great re-sale value down the road. I also do quite a lot of driving on the road, approx. 20,000 miles per year.
So for me, this "turbo under the truck" will work very nicely.
I agree with you that this system would be far less likely to suffer damage in on-road situations, or even in less than extreme off-road situations. So I suppose that my real question is what is the real practical benefit to routing the turbo under the truck. I mean I get that it is cooler under the truck than in the engine bay, but at the end of the day the turbine is still being spun by exhaust gasses, which are hot, and as such some of that heat is transfered to the incoming air through the turbine, and then you have a much longer air intake run back up to the engine so that is more restriction. So while I can see how theoretically the turbo in cooler air could be beneficiall, I just don't see how in practical application that wouldn't be negated by the longer and more restrictive intake tubing.

Yes, any turbo makes more power than a N/A engine, but how is this any better than a standard in engine bay turbo?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #13
I <3 Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
I agree with you that this system would be far less likely to suffer damage in on-road situations, or even in less than extreme off-road situations. So I suppose that my real question is what is the real practical benefit to routing the turbo under the truck. I mean I get that it is cooler under the truck than in the engine bay, but at the end of the day the turbine is still being spun by exhaust gasses, which are hot, and as such some of that heat is transfered to the incoming air through the turbine, and then you have a much longer air intake run back up to the engine so that is more restriction. So while I can see how theoretically the turbo in cooler air could be beneficiall, I just don't see how in practical application that wouldn't be negated by the longer and more restrictive intake tubing.

Yes, any turbo makes more power than a N/A engine, but how is this any better than a standard in engine bay turbo?
The main advantage is ease of installation. You dont need a turbo manifold made and have to worry about clearing AC lines and all that. Also with that long of a charge pipe it acts like an intercooler
Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #14
Towing Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by utixrunner View Post
The main advantage is ease of installation. You dont need a turbo manifold made and have to worry about clearing AC lines and all that. Also with that long of a charge pipe it acts like an intercooler
Ok, I didn't think of it that way. It kind-of makes sense now. Thank you.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the sts kit was designed for easy install. Yes the inlet gas does get heated up bye the turbo heat and the heat from compressing a gas. But on its way back to the engine i does cool down a little. When you think about the boost in the return pipe think about it like compressed air in a shop the compresor is in the back but the whole system has equal presure.

There are 2 big advantages to the turbo.

1 it doesnt take power the supercharger can take horsepower to turn the impeller the turbo works off burnt gas.

2 if you keep your foot out of it the turbo doesnt boost up and use more gas.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDITECH View Post
There are 2 big advantages to the turbo.

1 it doesnt take power the supercharger can take horsepower to turn the impeller the turbo works off burnt gas.

2 if you keep your foot out of it the turbo doesnt boost up and use more gas.
Modern Superchargers have very little parasitic drag on the motor. And most have a bypass valve alowing the engine to run like N/A and draw a vaccume.
Also, a turbo isnt "Free h.p.". It DOES creat a drag on the engine in the form of an obstruction in the exhaust. It has a parasitic affect on the motor. If you have ever seen a dyno chart of a bolt on turbo kit, almost all the time, the h.p. falls off in the lower rpms., and the AFR goes way down. Superchargers, IMHO, are a better way to get more power.