Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Volant ram air and CAI on a 2008

Old 03-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Volant ram air and CAI on a 2008

i searched the internet and this forum to find a pic of a volant ram air scoop and CAI installed on a gen 2 tacoma and couldn't find one. so, here is a pic of my 2008 2.7 tacoma with the volant ram air scoop and CAI.

i must admit my truck revs easier and has a little more deeper tone when accelerating. there was a minor issue with the air box hole size that the filter and tube would not fit in properly but nothing a dremel and a sanding drum couldn't solve. also volant included a foam trim gasket that attaches to the air box and seals the gap between the fender and the box.

i also while i had the hood open and the tools out i changed out the factory oil with amsoil 0w-20 oil, an amsoil oil filter and fumoto drain valve.

i'd just like to say that getting that factory oil filter was a bitch to get off even the screwdriver method didn't work. i wound up buying a filter end cap wrench from advance auto parts. my filter used a cap wrench of 73 mm dia and with 14 flutes if anyone wanted to know

thanks to all who make this forum possible.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, that first filter is a PITA. I actually used pliers and my huge 18" biceps, lol. But seriously, that's a common complaint.

Volant makes a nice CAI.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
looks good...i was hoping to put this same setup on my 4.0 at some point. is the scoop good enough to get some real air over that radiator?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #4

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
it sounds like it sucks a lot of air in but i don't know how it would sound vs. just a volant CAI because i just installed them both at the same time.

it sucks in air from the top grill opening about an inch to 2 inches below the top of the radiator. i tried to get a pic of the way the air scoop sits in front of the radiator through the opening in the grill but i think my camera' quality is the reason i couldn't get a good pic of it.

long story short i really love the setup.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Let us know if you notice any performance or economy gains.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #6

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Looks good! Let us know if you notice any performance or economy gains.
i did notice a more aggressive tone, the engine does seem a less restricted and it is a little quicker off the line. as for fuel savings i hope so because i travel a lot for work. i'll let you know later on in the week when i fill up.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
how much did that run you?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #8

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willard417 View Post
how much did that run you?
441.90 from auto anything
Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
CAPABLE5LUG805 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
CAPABLE5LUG805's Tacoma Gallery
Still liking that ram air cai? I know they are four bangers but my truck could use some help. Atleast some better throttle responsible and maybe hold cruise control easier.