1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this normal while in 4x4?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Rucas, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dec 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    Rucas

Rucas [OP] 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    alright thanks dorifuto.

The truck is 5 years old and only 27k miles...

2. Dec 18, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    threepeat

threepeat Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Albany, OR
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB
    SnugTop Hi-Liner DynoLock Tailgate Lock Seatsavers for rear seat (dog!)
    Its all about differentials. As noted AWD's have front to back differentials to allow for the front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds just like the side to side differential(s) on most every vehicle do. PT 4WD's only have side to side differentials. This only matters when turning.

Speed is not the issue. Turning is. I live in Oregon where studded tires and rain make for some fun highway driving. My 98 Tacoma has spent many miles at 70-75 in 4WD on wet roads with minimal turns. I pay for it, I like to use it. When I get off the highway I go back to 2WD unless its really bad. And I spent three years crossing a local pass and had it in 4WD a lot when the temps drop and conditions are hard to discern. Its made 230k with no problems and I missed more than a few monthly runs on the 4WD.

Dry pavement is not great for 4WD but if you have to run on it for a few miles each month with not sharp turns to work the front it won't hurt anything on a Toyota. Can't speak for other brands............

Products Discussed in

To Top