Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

secondary filter question

Old 03-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
SCTACOMA
jarroddorraj is on a distinguished road
jarroddorraj's Tacoma Gallery
secondary filter question

-Is it safe to take the secondary air filter out, already have a K&N, anyone noticed any problems or signifgant change
-If its worth it how do you take it out
Old 03-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Personally, the only gains I think you would see is 10th's of a sec. on the drag strip, if that. Plus, I believe you are dealing with warranty issues when tampering with it, or at least that was the warning I saw when installing my AIRAID. Cold Air Intake systems are all you need to have a little more power and nice throttle response when you want it.. Just my opinion...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarroddorraj View Post
-Is it safe to take the secondary air filter out, already have a K&N, anyone noticed any problems or signifgant change
-If its worth it how do you take it out
question is....do u have the full K&N system...or just the drop in filter? if u have the full system, u've removed it by proxy.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
I removed mine. I had the shop vac out to remove any trash and held it to the vac for grins. I was supprised at the amount of restriction of that filter that you can hold up to a light and look right through it. I don't have to pass a smog test here though.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Talking

I am going to have to retract my comment... not saying you will see big gains, but now that I've been looking around and seen that TRD eliminates the secondary filter by eliminating the entire box and going straight to the throttle body, I no longer have to worry about Dealer calling voided warranty issues on me. TRD products are backed by Toyota, along with their new Super Charger for our trucks. So hey, if the TRD Intake dont need charcoal filter, then why would my AIRAID need that little speed bump of restriction? Haa!! it will be gone in the morning.

Maybe Im just looking for something to do since Im bored on leave LOL!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Maybe Im just looking for something to do since Im bored on leave LOL!!!
come on over and wash my truck...haha
Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Enjoying my addiction

Cool

ha ha, yeah my foot taste pretty good right now.. I will let you know if I like or notice any change..

Peaces,...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Look what I found. All the info you need.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html
Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Enjoying my addiction

Cool

well it's out. I did the tear it out technique. Did not see any reason to put it back and I was done in minutes all together. Hardest part was making room to pull the box out.

Throttle response: A little
But definately more air is passing through because my TB Spacer is alot louder, especially when shifting, sounds like a blow off valve.

All in all its a free increase in fun power... Ha ha

Researching the true flow intake. Like the look but waiting for proof that it puts more to the rear wheels than AIRAID.

Hey Jhodge, it's raining so your truck should be nice and clean once you dry it off,, ha ha..

Thanks...
Old 03-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
Enjoying my addiction

Lightbulb

Tore the hell out of it... Bit flemsy without rivets, so reinstallation even if kept in tact is not a good idea

This thing has actuall charcoal bits in it, like one of those Bio wheel filters for fish tanks. Not sure why a motor needs this, especially on the intake side?

Alot thicker than I thought. Can barely feel air flowing through it.

So if you are not worried about emissions laws, and or warranty issues, which I doubt would be an issue, with the fact that TRD does not use it in their set up; then go ahead and remove it. 5 min. of your time is worth it.