1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lockers?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by kilo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Mar 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    I have the 2007 TRD Sport. MY question is what would it cost to put a good locker on it?

2. Mar 12, 2008 at 8:31 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    The ARB locker runs from $900 (compressor, lines, and locker at wholesale installed by you) to $1,400 (everything but installed by local shop). I looked into this in my PreRunner, but decided against it.

Now I am getting a SR5 4WD only to find out that it already comes with an LSD. So, I am not going to bother.

Do you not like the limited slip differential?

3. Mar 12, 2008 at 8:37 PM
    lightmup

lightmup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 db cab TRD sport 6" fabtec lift 33-13.5-20
    AFE intake, Gibson cat back exhaust, Fabtec 6"lift, King remote resy coilovers, Light Racing UCA's , Allpro front bumper,PIAA fogs, 3 KC slim lights, Optima battery, Weathertech flour mats, Tinted windows, Wheels and tires, Back up camera, 10" shallow mount kenwood sub
    good Question. Me to. Would it have cost more to get the hood or the locker? Isnt that why we got the sport well and the painted mirors and bumper.

4. Mar 12, 2008 at 8:40 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Hood is probably cheaper. :)

You could probably pickup a used TRD Off-Road rear axle assembly whole for around $600. Then you just have to do all the wiring.

5. Mar 12, 2008 at 8:56 PM
    lightmup

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    AFE intake, Gibson cat back exhaust, Fabtec 6"lift, King remote resy coilovers, Light Racing UCA's , Allpro front bumper,PIAA fogs, 3 KC slim lights, Optima battery, Weathertech flour mats, Tinted windows, Wheels and tires, Back up camera, 10" shallow mount kenwood sub
    That wouldnt be that bad. I did some rock crawling for the first time last weekend. pretty knarly trail. It did awesome with just the lsd. if i plan on doing anything crazier I'll need trail armor bumpers sliders skidds.

6. Mar 12, 2008 at 10:05 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Definately get armor first.......If you want a locker and decide on the ARB - put it in the front diff first. You'll be amazed by the capabilities of having the ARB in the front and still use your LSD for daily pavement pounding.

7. Mar 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    I thought the same thing untill i joined a 4x4 club?

8. Mar 12, 2008 at 11:11 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Give it time.....give it time. I started with a 96 & spent tons of money on it and wheeled the livin snot outta it. Bought a trail rig....built that up, wheeled the snot outta it. Bought a tow rig and trailer....Spent a total of about almost 9 years wheelin so far.

It's an evolution....

And now? I still have my trail rig but I don't tow it (sold the tow rig). The trail rig is street legal and always has been. *Been there done that* (so to speak) and now I have a pretty blue TRD Sport with all the goodies that I plan to keep it nice & shiney, mud free, scratch free, and wax the snot outta it becuase I can! hehehee....

If you enjoy offroading - believe me, it's a disease that'll bite you in the ass!! ;)

9. Mar 12, 2008 at 11:27 PM
    lightmup

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    If you enjoy offroading - believe me, it's a disease that'll bite you in the ass!! ;)[/QUOTE]

Iam totaly infected

10. Mar 12, 2008 at 11:53 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    :D
    5 years from now, where do YOU wanna be in this hobby?

11. Mar 13, 2008 at 10:53 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I'm a little confused here. if you have 4x4 your front already locks when you engage 4 wheel drive right? why do you need a locker up front if you have 4 wheel drive. am i that far off or am i missing something?

12. Mar 13, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    There are auto hubs in the front that go from free wheeling to "locked" with the axles, but the front locker would work like the rear locker in that it locked both axle shafts together at the front diff.

IE: in normal 4wd you have the power split at the transfer case so that roughly half goes to the rear and roughly half to the front.

With both the front and rear in open mode that could leave you in an off-camber situation where you have one front and one rear tire up in the air. In that case you would have roughly 50% up front and roughly 50% out back spinning in the air and doing nothing.

If both axles are locked in the same situation then you have roughly 25% of the power at each wheel, so even though two wheels are in the air, you can still move because 50% of your power is still getting to the ground.

13. Mar 13, 2008 at 11:56 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Like Maverick says...

Having a *locker* has nothing to do with being engaged in 4WD.

You engage 4WD by shifting it into 4WD or the button/lever in the dash. This simply engages the front axleshafts & driveshaft to drive the front wheels. Once the front wheels are engaged and you're in 4WD - your front differential is an OPEN carrier. Hard to explain... but when one wheel looses traction, 100% of the power will go to that wheel (path of least resistance). Open differentials are best for on-road driving because the two wheels never travel at the same rate when going around turns..... the OPEN diff compensates for that. Similar reason for Limited Slip diffs - they 'slip' when the wheels aren't going at the same rate.

Putting a *locker* (fulltime locker for instance) - will literally lock both wheels together regardless of the situation. You could have one wheel off the ground and that other wheel will still retain all of the power. Fulltime lockers (like explained) should not be used on-road because it can't compensate for the differences between the two wheels - and can cause serious problems in the drivetrain.

14. Mar 13, 2008 at 1:15 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    ok, thanks for explaining that guys. i know the basics of how a locker worked, i was just under hte impression that in a 4x4 the front locked when you engaged 4wd. so janster, why would you recomend putting a locker up front before the rear, just so you can have the functionality of a locker up front and the lsd in the rear?

15. Mar 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    By then I would like to have a trail rig just for this.

I have made my own sliders and have the 3" lift. Next is the tires,front bumper, then the back one. I will be making my own skid plate for the fuel tank here real soon. Thanks for all of the advise, I know that the TTR members and TOD will have advise for me as well. I'm just trying to get as much as possible. Thanks!

16. Mar 13, 2008 at 10:22 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    You got it....!

For anyone who doesn't have an LSD - then I'd recommend putting a locker in the rear. But since you already have a traction device back there - why get rid of it? Utilize it .... Use your money towards locking up the front instead.

You'll be much more capable with a front locker and LSD -versus- a locked rear and unlocked front.

17. Mar 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I never thought about that. Very insightful Janster! thanks for your responses :)

18. Mar 14, 2008 at 8:51 AM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like the way I will go? Some of you have mentioned ARB, are there any others that may be better? I'm sure ARB is a good product.

19. Mar 14, 2008 at 9:15 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    ARB is da bomb diggity! However, It's very costly.

The good thing about the ARB (or any *selectable* locker) - is you can engage or disengage it at anytime which means, you'll have your stock open diff for daily driving.

If you are planning on putting a locker in the front - I would HIGHLY recommend you search for a *selectable* locker. There are different brands out there and each is different in how it operates. The availability for toyota front diffs might be slim pickings....I don't know for sure.

I've got two ARB's in my Jeep and they're SWEET!! I've had them for 7 years now. As long as they're installed properly (professional installation), all the air lines /air supply is setup properly, and you keep water out of your diff oil... you won't have any problems!

20. Mar 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM
    XxMalfunktionxX

XxMalfunktionxX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County,California
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SPORT SR5 Double Cab
    K&N Drop in, Bilstein 5100's in front with Readylift kit on top for a 3 in. lift in the front and a 1 in. block in the rear. Next project is going to be TRD Supercharger and Camburg coilover long travel system with custom skid plate and tubes. Maybe some new tires and wheels then..
    I bought my 08 Taco in Aug of 07 and I could not find a TRD with the locker at all!!!! all they had were the sports with the lim slip..i like my truck but definatley would love to have a locker..

Products Discussed in

To Top