Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

home made CAI is it possible?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

can get something like this a cut some small holes so water would be able to get out. myabe in the tubing itself on the bottom or the backside of that triangle where it meets in the back.

i know what i posted is expensive but there are cheap things similar to this out there

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...ent-hoods.aspx

iv been looking into doing something similar so i got a few idea as well haha just never got around to doing any of it, hopefully i will soon
Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
Fitz
kjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #23
Fitz
kjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
so heres a rough sketch of what i was thinking of doing i plan to make a new box where the factory intake pulls air from the wheel well

im going to make a box at the grill to collect the air and route it around the radiator support then back to the box on the wheel well, then to the factory filter box.

i plan to have the new box on the wheel well take air from the wheel well and grill so does anyone have a pic of this area with the intake unbolted?

i plan to make everything bolt on so that if i need to return the factory set up its easy. also do you guys think that by routing everything to a new wheel well box that this will solve the possibility of sucking water in from the grill? keep in mind i don't offroad and i will be making a cap so i can cap the grill house if i decide to offroad.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #24
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I really like your idea man keep us posted on how it progresses!

are you leaving the front of the box open there by the washer fluid reseviour or is it gonna be a closed box?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #25
Fitz

kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
since its bitter cold here this week, can someone see what diam the intake hose is at factory filter box and at the passenger wheel well. thanks.

by the way diam must be from a 2nd gen 4.0 v6.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #26
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjf216 View Post
i know the factory intake is a cold air. but my thought was to run a nice big tube to the grill so it could work like a ram air and force the cold straight to the filter instead of sucking it through the wheel well
I might play with an idea to run a tube to grab air from around the exhaust manifold for warm air. I'm trying to warm my air up to get better MPG in the winter here...seen the idea over on some Hypermilers, my truck shits the bed on gas in the winter.

I ran a AFE CAI, lost low end torque and 2 mpg, but gained some HP in the passing rpm...other than that mpg might have stayed flat while towing.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #27
Fitz

kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
I really like your idea man keep us posted on how it progresses!

are you leaving the front of the box open there by the washer fluid reseviour or is it gonna be a closed box?
sry over looked u post i plan to have a closed box, air will go in from tube to the front and from the wheel well
Old 01-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #28
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjf216 View Post
i know the factory intake is a cold air. but my thought was to run a nice big tube to the grill so it could work like a ram air and force the cold straight to the filter instead of sucking it through the wheel well
I wouldn't burn too many calories trying to get "ram air" effects. The whole concept is a lot more marketing BS than it is measurable performance.

My fluid dynamics is a little rusty, but ram compression comes from stagnatig moving air (relative to some solid object such as a truck), thus converting dynamic pressure into static pressure. Dynamic pressure is 1/2*air density*airspeed^2, and at 70 degrees at sea level, this comes out to 0.18 psi at 100 mph, maning you'll see less than a quarter pound of "boost" at 100 mph and that'll drop off parabolically rather than linearly (down to 0.05 psi at 55 and 0.01 psi at 25). If you know any mechanical or aerospace engineering majors, they can check my numbers on this.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #29
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Im thinking of doing something like this also and since I got a scangauge now I can keep track of intake temp's.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #30
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
MAF location is very important. if you get too much air turbulence from an incorrectly placed MAF sensor you can cause the engine to run wrong and even throw codes.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #31
jonml is on a distinguished road
jonml's Tacoma Gallery
ive done something very similar to that on my truck the difference with mine is i didn't cut any metal so its prob less direct i just routed mine from the airbox down by the radiator hose and bent it to up inside the bumper and made a scoop to catch the air
Old 07-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #32
Wolfman87 is on a distinguished road
Army: SSG, squad leader, 1st squad 1st platoon C co 2/153 INF 39th BCT
Name: Chris
Wolfman87's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking at doing this same thing. The wheel well is already a high pressure zone (the reason they put it there) the easyiest way to boost performance is use a larger hose coming out of the back of the box to the motor. The only thing you have to make sure of is the MAF sensor must be placed on a hose the same diameter as the stock.

and yes I know this is a dead thread but oh well
Old 07-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #33
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Dead thread or not... the idea is still valid.

I've also been thinking of making my own home made box to enclose the filter on my aftermarket intake.