Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Cutting exhaust before the rear axel?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
NREMTP CCT
Youngunner is on a distinguished road
Youngunner's Tacoma Gallery
Cutting exhaust before the rear axel?

I'm looking to add clearance by removing the tailpipe so I don't tear it off when off-roading. Can I just cut if right after the muffler or should i cut it just after it loops up over the axel?

Here is one after the loop:
Old 01-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
krumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jon
krumble's Tacoma Gallery
I have my exhaust with a turn down right after the muffler. So you should be fine before the axle. Doing it before the axle however will add more noise inside your cab.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumble View Post
I have my exhaust with a turn down right after the muffler. So you should be fine before the axle. Doing it before the axle however will add more noise inside your cab.
x2
Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumble View Post
the turn down is important,so u dont cook your rear end fluid or any brake lines.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
NREMTP CCT
Thanks guys! I cut it after the loop over. It was satisfying to cut that nice shiny stainless steel TRD exhaust tip off! I wonder if anyone would want to buy it?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngunner View Post
Thanks guys! I cut it after the loop over. It was satisfying to cut that nice shiny stainless steel TRD exhaust tip off! I wonder if anyone would want to buy it?
You cheap sob.
Take care
vbibi

WHAT A BOY!

hura hura hura!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
NREMTP CCT
I was impressed it actually eliminated the drone at cruising speed. If anyone wants the tip for some reason or another, they can come and get it for free!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking at buying a 2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road and noticed that the muffler on there was cut like this. My concern is that when idling in Los Angeles traffic, that I am going to be getting exhaust fumes straight into the cabin. Should I be looking to have them replace the exhaust system if I buy it or am I being chicken little and afraid of nothing.

What if any benefit is there to cutting the exhaust so short?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
i just got my tip welded on after i street dumped it after the axle looks pretty good and cost like 20 bucks
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
I am looking at buying a 2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road and noticed that the muffler on there was cut like this. My concern is that when idling in Los Angeles traffic, that I am going to be getting exhaust fumes straight into the cabin. Should I be looking to have them replace the exhaust system if I buy it or am I being chicken little and afraid of nothing.

What if any benefit is there to cutting the exhaust so short?
So when you are on the trail and your pipe gets crushed, you don't have to do this...