LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

CAI In So Cal Question

Old 03-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Question CAI In So Cal Question

If I install a TRD CAI in my truck will it still pass emsissions?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
if it has a CARB number

Calif Air Resorces Board

no number =no smog pass, they look around for a long time before they hook up the machine

you would be beast to just change back for smog
Whats a carb # ?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the TRD (which is actually an AFE intake) is CARB exempt so you can use it in any state.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
silvertaco408 is on a distinguished road
silvertaco408's Tacoma Gallery
Did this just recently happen because when I got a trd intake it had a note on the front of the box saying that it was an illegal part, so I went with a K&N intake so that it would pass.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
hammerdog is on a distinguished road
hammerdog's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD Catalog indicates the TRD CAI made for the Tacoma V6 is for off road use and not for use on public highways. The warranty page states use on public highways may violate federal/state emissions laws. It appears all the CAI intakes in the TRD catalog marked with asterick are off road use/racing.

I just bought one and it did not come with a CARB sticker. I will have to switch back to the stock intake in order to get a smog clearance.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdog View Post
The TRD Catalog indicates the TRD CAI made for the Tacoma V6 is for off road use and not for use on public highways. The warranty page states use on public highways may violate federal/state emissions laws. It appears all the CAI intakes in the TRD catalog marked with asterick are off road use/racing.

I just bought one and it did not come with a CARB sticker. I will have to switch back to the stock intake in order to get a smog clearance.
Looks like I might be wrong then. Thought I read somewhere that the Tacoma TRD intake was street legal in cali.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdog View Post

Maybe I should go into the sticker business!!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
What about the brute force intake from AEM? says its 50 state legal or pending. anyone have this one?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
Gringo Bandito

tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
What about the brute force intake from AEM? says its 50 state legal or pending. anyone have this one?
According to this it's still pending CARB certification for 05-07 Tacoma models.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i saw that was wondering if anyone here has that intake, would like to hear what they have to say.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
VsTacoma is an unknown quantity at this point

Air Force:
VsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to take another approach to this subject by skipping what folks have read, heard, suspect...

Has anybody "personnally" had their Tacoma fail an emissions due to their CAI mod (whatever the type)?

If not, what type CAI do you have and in what state was your test done?
Did the CARB# have any bearing on your pass.

If you failed,...what type CAI do you have and in what state were you tested? Did the CARB# have any bearing on your failure? Wha'd you do to pass? Switch to stock?

TCBob, if we get enough responses, a data base could be built and folks will know what works and doesn't work in their state.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3bow View Post
should be a while before you have to smog, unless you have an 05 then it's not too far ahead. some of the cai kits i looked at said carb pending, so it wont be long 'till they get carb approved. i'd say just put the stock box back on once it's smog time. i got heat from the dealership for taking out my "secondary" mesh filter, so i'm sure they'd make a deal about that here in cali given all the smog pollution laws. i ain't doing the cai thing, i found a stock box with the "secondary" filter in place for when it's smog time. for now, just a DRY afe performance air filter works good for me. shiiiiiiaaaot, i forgot about CHP, I got pulled over 'cause of my flo 40 a while back, and the officer checked out my intake as well. He didn't check inside the stock box, just looked to see if I had a cai. so a list of cai's and where they're legal sounds pretty good to me.
dude.......they check if you have a CAI now????? WTF?!?!?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
God... sometimes i hate california
Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to the nanny state. Aaaaaaahhnnnold is a complete wussy.