Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

air filter help

Old 03-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
steelers rule
image is on a distinguished road
image's Tacoma Gallery
air filter help

dont know what filter does better airaid,k&n cold air,k&n drop-in filter,tdi????? i have a v6 and dont know which would be better bang for the buck and which performs the best any suggestions would be much appreciated. i am looking at the flowmaster super 40 muffler also for an upgrade
Old 03-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
For maximum performance you'll want one of the CAI systems but a drop in would be the best bang for the buck. Some people like K&N and i used to run one on my old truck but the oiled filters can contaminate the MAF so I picked up an aFe ProDry S which offers the same airflow and no oil. I also like that I can clean it with a shop vac or even wash it with dish detergent to restore it to 100% flow.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Roland, so the AFE Prodry S has worked well for you? Seal good and all? Did you order it from the company web site or somewhere else? I like the idea of a cleanable filter but was shying away from the olied K&N types due to the sensors. This has the best of both worlds, dry and cleanable to. Thanks for sharing that air filter name. I was going to need one eventually and I think I just made my decision.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
For maximum performance you'll want one of the CAI systems but a drop in would be the best bang for the buck. Some people like K&N and i used to run one on my old truck but the oiled filters can contaminate the MAF so I picked up an aFe ProDry S which offers the same airflow and no oil. I also like that I can clean it with a shop vac or even wash it with dish detergent to restore it to 100% flow.
I second what Roland has to say.

Here's the link with the info on where to buy
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post

x3
Old 03-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Roland's Tacoma Gallery
The seal is fantastic. The frame of the filter is a very pliable black silicon like material. It's soft enough that the filter is actually floppy. It dropped right in place and took a firm push to close the airbox.

I bought it from rotorsandpads.com for 26.25 +8.95 shipping but I'll warn you that it took almost a month for the filter to arrive. I've seen it since then on other sites for less than $30 with free shipping.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
steelers rule
image is on a distinguished road
image's Tacoma Gallery
tanks i just ordered the afe pro dry s drop-in filter maybe 3-5 days too bad us people in hawaii don't get free shipping we are too surrounded by wata
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
tacomanub08 is on a distinguished road

tacomanub08's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomanub08
around how much hp gain do you get from changing the filter?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:05 AM   #10
My other ride has sails

Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't seen any numbers for the aFe dry pro on a 2.7 tacoma.

The stock intake's design is not very restricive and it already draws air from the fender so using the aFe and removing the secondary filter should net close to what power gains you would get from any of the CAI intakes that don't move the intake to the front of the truck.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a K&N drop in replacement filter for mine, how much do i need to worry about the MAF getting fouled by the filter oil?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
i bought a K&N drop in replacement filter for mine, how much do i need to worry about the MAF getting fouled by the filter oil?
Not so much worry, just keep track of your mileage, particularly after a clean and re-oil. If your mileage starts dropping then the sensor is likely getting fouled. Hit it with some MAF cleaner and resume watching your mileage.

As long as you stay on top of it, I don't think it is likely to become permanant damage.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info maverick. i put it in yesterday and im leaving on a 250 mile drive in a few hours. it'll be interesting to see if my dirty stock filter was hurting my mileage at all. i check my MPG every fill-up so i have a real good baseline to go off of.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
voltron75 is on a distinguished road
voltron75's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post

Cool I want one, but do the '07 proDry filters fit in the '08 tacomas?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:32 AM   #17
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
In your honest opinion...What is the best filter for HP and MPG?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #18
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
In your honest opinion...What is the best filter for HP and MPG?
That's kinda of a contradiction! More HP from an air filter comes from more air. With more air the computer adds more fuel to maintain the same AFR. So you're not likely to gain mpg from a filter that'll increase HP. Unless you get a URD MAF calibrator and tweak the AFR's for best power/mpg numbers. Even that only kicks in above 3k RPMs when the engine is in closed loop (or open loop, i forget).

Edit:

And if you get a CAI, then you have to fight the urge to rev the engine to hear the sound it makes. If you like the sound, then chances are your right foot negates any MPG improvement you would have gotten. Now, if you can get more power and use less skinny pedal to drive the same way you do now, then you might get an improvement. In that case, I would look into a scangauge so you can monitor realtime MPG numbers and adjust your driving to maximize them.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #20
Towing Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
volant or TRD which is better for gains
I would imagine TRD (which is made by AFE) since it completely seals out the hot air from the engine bay, but I may be wrong, as I believe that there is not much if anything to be gained over the stock intake with a high flow filter (not counting URD of-course) I've not actually researched the Not Really That Cold Air Intakes (NRTCAI) as I like to call them.

My $0.02