1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is URD exhaust a good choice?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by cameronlane, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Jan 11, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    cameronlane

cameronlane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    So I have been contemplating getting a new exhaust for some time and I think I am getting pretty close to taking the plunge. I have an 08 6speed 4.0L 4X4.

What I would get:
    *Doug Thorley header - long tube
    *Doug Thorley "pipe bomb" y pipe
    *RD Stainless 3" Exhaust with magnaflow muffle (would this component work with 4x4?)

I was wondering if this is a good set up / is there a better one. I plan to do a lot of wheeling soon. Does anyone know the power gains? Will this be too loud (if there is such a thing?)

All thoughts and opinion greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. Jan 12, 2010 at 3:43 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    I would say get the URD y-pipe over the DT y-pipe. I haven't heard many good reviews about the DT ypipe.

Running the DTLT, y-pipe, and URD CBE (magnaflow) will be retarded loud, and sound like ass (very raspy). I have heard the turbo muffler makes the kit bearable though.

You'll definitely pick up some good upper range power, but in exchange for the low-end grunt.

I would think if you are going to be doing a lot of wheeling, you'd want that low-end torque (not an offroad guy, so i'm not sure). I'd say do the headers, keep with the stock y-pipe, and the CBE.

3. Jan 12, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    cameronlane

cameronlane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    thanks for your input. saved me some money!

4. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    You'll definately need the turbo muffler! The urd cbe is a awesome exhaust, u will be hard pressed to find a better quality Exhaust! It should last the life of the truck as long as u don't smash it on something! I agree with xrunnit keep the stock y-pipe. The 1 grfe motor is very raspy with a straight threw exhaust system! Go with a chambered muffler, dtlt's, and the stock y and it should sound good!

5. Jan 12, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    The urd exhaust is way overpriced especially the y-pipe. The exhaust is just a magnaflow muff that is polished. For the y-pipe just have pipe welded in place of the cats much cheaper and the same results.

6. Jan 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Yes the urd cbe and y-pipe are expensive... But it's the best! Comepletely hand polished t-304 stainless steel. The welds and the flanges are perfect! And so is the fit! I've heard guys have had issues with the dt pipe bomb not fitting perfectly and requiring some modification! Urd offers 2 muffler choices a magnaflow straight threw type and a dynomax super turbo. Both are great choices but the super turbo being better for trucks with cats removed!

Products Discussed in

To Top