Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Best intake setup

Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Best intake setup

Stock air box mod - no secondary filter and elbow mod Cost: Free
vs.
CAI - TRD/AFE/Volant w/elbow mod (intakes that pull only from the fender) Approx: $300

Best bang for buck for HP and MPG gains.

I would like to increase some ponies when I get on it and out having fun, but want to keep the MPG high for those long HWY trips.

Which setup do you recommend?

In getting a TRD/AFE or Volant intake do I lose hwy mpg? if so I'm out
Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
No love for the URD? I'd go URD as long as you don't do stream crossings in your truck.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Not another air intake thread! Seriously there is a shit load of info on this site about intakes. Search and ye shall find.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg25 View Post
Not another air intake thread! Seriously there is a shit load of info on this site about intakes. Search and ye shall find.
I read every thread from the last couple years.

And Hey, if they were all summed up real nice and had accurate info they would be great. If you don't have anything nice to say keep it to yourself, or at least give me your opinion. Half the threads had smart ass remarks like yours that make them worthless.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Lets Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
No love for the URD? I'd go URD as long as you don't do stream crossings in your truck.
The only reason I don't like the URD is that its going to get salt on it in Wisconsin and I do not want that stuff in my engine. Salt will get everywhere but the inner fender where the intakes pull from. I do like the URD, its the salt, water factor that make that intake weak IMHO.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
I read every thread from the last couple years.

And Hey, if they were all summed up real nice and had accurate info they would be great. If you don't have anything nice to say keep it to yourself, or at least give me your opinion. Half the threads had smart ass remarks like yours that make them worthless.
What makes you thing this thread is going to be any better? As far as I'm concerned, my setup is the best.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What makes you thing this thread is going to be any better? As far as I'm concerned, my setup is the best.
Actually, my setup is best. I wouldn't have chosen any other way.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Zoom-Zoom

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Actually, my setup is best. I wouldn't have chosen any other way.
Whatever! Mine is so much better! And my Dad could kick your Dad's ass.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
06tacoma is on a distinguished road

06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why dont you explain why your intake is better then the other ones on the market and give this guy a hand it just seems like he wants some info
Old 03-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i have an airaid, and im happy with mine, but the urd, although i dont really like the location of the filter, is probably one of the best on the market, and its probably better,as any intake would be, to get the maf calibrator, so you can tune the air/fuel mix. also, true flow makes a very cool looking intake. i dont think you can really go wrong with any of them.....just realize you arent gonna get a ton of horses out of an intake. mileage should increase a bit, maybe a bit more power, and it will be louder than stock.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
I have AIRAID installed. Its ok,,, But I now have the Tru Flow XDI on it's way. I like the set up, Looks sweet. The company claims more dirt resistance rather than promoting more flow. Plus, I'm an advocate of removing stock tubing. All the bends, the funny looking box, and that secondary filter, to me are all possible products of turbulance. TRD, URD, XDI, and possibly K&N remove all stock parts and run straight to the throttle body. Most efficient for max airflow. Still researching, but I would agree with the MAF calibrator also.

In the end it's up to you to choose:

1) Spending limit
2) Which set up appeals most

Horsepower gains too minimal to compare one to another...

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
Lets Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
I have AIRAID installed. Its ok,,, But I now have the Tru Flow XDI on it's way. I like the set up, Looks sweet. The company claims more dirt resistance rather than promoting more flow. Plus, I'm an advocate of removing stock tubing. All the bends, the funny looking box, and that secondary filter, to me are all possible products of turbulance. TRD, URD, XDI, and possibly K&N remove all stock parts and run straight to the throttle body. Most efficient for max airflow. Still researching, but I would agree with the MAF calibrator also.

In the end it's up to you to choose:

1) Spending limit
2) Which set up appeals most

Horsepower gains too minimal to compare one to another...

Hope this helps.
Very helpful, but the complete system for the MAF calibration is over budget. It probably is the best but I'd rather stick the money into a lift. I'm looking bolt on, for under 325.

Does the Airaid pull air from the engine compartment, it looks like it does from the pics with only a shield. If so its probably getting some hot air and could be more efficient. I had one a on a nissan Titan and it did not replace the stock tubing, pulled in hot air...I replace with a S&B box and tube and noticed my MPG drop but butt dyno increase, both with a Banks Cat back system.

Anyone have mpg gains with the volant or TRD?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
Lets Do It!

Quote:
Just curious why? Which Airaid do you have? Does it seal good? Any MPG drop, gains....
Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
Zoom-Zoom

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacoma View Post
Why dont you explain why your intake is better then the other ones on the market and give this guy a hand it just seems like he wants some info
Relax bud. Like I said before there are lots of threads on this website regarding air intakes. They are all the same as this one - everybody says what they think of their own setup. So here I will offer up what I think of my airaid intake system, which I have repeated more than a couple times on here.

I am happy with my airaid intake. It deffinetly made my truck louder, and from what I can tell a little better throttle response. However, I have no idea if I actually gained any power from the intake compared to stock. Unless I were to actually throw my truck on the dyno I have no idea...hell I could have lost some power. As for gas mileage - who knows. I'm sure it could help gas mileage a little bit, but I have no scientific facts or results to offer - like the majority of everybody else on here. And like most people on this site, I have no way of saying which intake is better, as I have only ever used one intake (that being the Airaid). I have no way of comparing my intake to other intakes. So really, how can I say my intake is better than everybody elses?

So get the Airaid...its the best!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Very helpful.

Does the Airaid pull air from the engine compartment, it looks like it does from the pics with only a shield. If so its probably getting some hot air and could be more efficient. I had one a on a nissan Titan and it did not replace the stock tubing, pulled in hot air...I replace with a S&B box and tube and noticed my MPG drop but butt dyno increase, both with a Banks Cat back system.

Anyone have mpg gains with the volant or TRD?
AIRAID has a shield that is somewhat closed off from rest of engine when hood is closed. But still not a true Cold AIr Intake. If CAI is what you really want than URD is best. I like True Flow because it's sealed, and from what I heard from multiple sources it sounds awesome.

Oh yeah, TRD is sealed also, but more expensive than some other intakes....
Old 03-27-2008, 05:31 AM   #16
Lets Do It!

anyone have any real life numbers on the mpg with the volant or AFE/TRD setups?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Max is on a distinguished road

Max's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stock air box mod - no secondary filter and elbow mod Cost: Free
vs.
CAI - TRD/AFE/Volant w/elbow mod (intakes that pull only from the fender) Approx: $300

Best bang for buck for HP and MPG gains.

I would like to increase some ponies when I get on it and out having fun, but want to keep the MPG high for those long HWY trips.

Which setup do you recommend?

In getting a TRD/AFE or Volant intake do I lose hwy mpg? if so I'm out

what exactly is the elbow mod?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:01 AM   #18
Lets Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
what exactly is the elbow mod?
There is a tube that goes into the fender...removing the entire (resonator) assembly.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #19
Max is on a distinguished road

Max's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is a tube that goes into the fender...removing the entire (resonator) assembly.

oh and just running it staright to the box?

do u have a picture?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 PM   #20
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whatever! Mine is so much better! And my Dad could lick your Dad's ass.
uhhh...whatever you say...