LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

MPG comparison 4 cyl & 6 cyl

Old 03-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Steve-B is on a distinguished road
Steve-B's Tacoma Gallery
MPG comparison 4 cyl & 6 cyl

I've searched for this comparison and either can't find what I want or I don't know what to search for, so I'm asking:
What kind of real-world (not EPA estimates) difference in MPG is there between the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines (2WD & 4WD)?
Just for information: 90% of my driving is in town/stop-and-go; virtually flat road; I actually drive less than 10k per year; I pretty much drive like an old lady; and I live in Louisiana (lots of AC in the summer).
I'm trying to justify purchasing a 4WD double cab rather than a 2WD (4 cyl) access cab PreRunner.
I don't plan to go play in the mud, but I've always wanted a 4WD. I don't like the rear seats in the Access Cab, and I will probably still own this (new) truck when I start hauling around grandkids (my current truck is 11 years old).
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-B View Post
I've searched for this comparison and either can't find what I want or I don't know what to search for, so I'm asking:
What kind of real-world (not EPA estimates) difference in MPG is there between the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines (2WD & 4WD)?
Just for information: 90% of my driving is in town/stop-and-go; virtually flat road; I actually drive less than 10k per year; I pretty much drive like an old lady; and I live in Louisiana (lots of AC in the summer).
I'm trying to justify purchasing a 4WD double cab rather than a 2WD (4 cyl) access cab PreRunner.
I don't plan to go play in the mud, but I've always wanted a 4WD. I don't like the rear seats in the Access Cab, and I will probably still own this (new) truck when I start hauling around grandkids (my current truck is 11 years old).
Thanks!
Download cvillechopper's Tacoma MPG spreadsheet databank. There's plenty of gas mileage data in there.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
my v6 is getting usually around 18 city and 20-21 highway...that was before the mud terrains, so i'm not quite sure now.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
I get 24-25 around town and 30 on the highway.
1 tank often takes me to 475 total miles before I refill.
By then I'm driving on fumes.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Steve-B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
Download cvillechopper's Tacoma MPG spreadsheet databank. There's plenty of gas mileage data in there.
I did this yesterday, but I don't see anything about 2WD vs 4WD. Am I overlooking it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
my v6 is getting usually around 18 city and 20-21 highway....
That sounds great - I'm currently getting 13.7 (average) and my wife's '02 Trailblazer is averaging 16.5.

oh, yeah - I forgot to mention in my original post the "pep factor." How much get-up-and-go would you say your truck has?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
oh, yeah - I forgot to mention in my original post the "pep factor." How much get-up-and-go would you say your truck has?
the v6 will thrown u back in ur seat. i punched it b/c i was pissed and it peeled out and threw me back in the seat w/ the 32's on
Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
I did this yesterday, but I don't see anything about 2WD vs 4WD. Am I overlooking it?
It's not in the pivot table. There's a yes/no column in the spreadsheet for 4x4 on the "Data" tab.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
1killerkaw will become famous soon enough

1killerkaw's Tacoma Gallery
I drive in some stop-n-go traffic, in the hills and if I do the speed limit and drive like an old lady I get 20 mpg with 87 octane. Driving in 4wd, 30 mph in the snow through the sierras and 2wd in some stop-n-go traffic I got 22 mpg with 89 octane.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 with the 5 speed and I've been driving carefully in mixed city and highway

When the low fuel light came on this morning at 445 miles the scangauge showed 17.1 gallons used and a 26 MPG average so far for this tank.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
my v6 is getting usually around 18 city and 20-21 highway
That's about what I'm seeing too. And Steve, my driving pattern is almost identical to yours. I haven't run it with heavy summer AC yet though (just bought it in September).

Oh, yes, it's peppy! You'll get more pep out of the v6 than the 4cyl, so you're concern is probably mostly about the pep of the 4, which I can't comment on. I didn't even test drive a 4cyl because the wife insisted on double cab, which is only available in v6.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
Steve-B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
It's not in the pivot table. There's a yes/no column in the spreadsheet for 4x4 on the "Data" tab.
OK, thanks - I'll go back and look for it.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:57 AM   #12
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
Filled up this morning when the low fuel warning light came on at 432 miles.
2.7L auto
Old 03-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #13
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I am through with the first 3 tanks on my V6, and I am averaging 19 MPG. Worst was 18 MPG (city), and best was 20 MPG. Guess what the other one was...

don't you hate word problems?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
So far I'm getting just what is said on the window sticker. The Taco isn't broke in yet and I just bought a Scangauge...Maybe things will improve.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
esanvilla is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air National Guard
esanvilla's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, some people are getting some great numbers. I average 19-20 here in mostly city driving, and 22 highway. I have the reg cab 4X4 and I drive like a maniac some days. Best was 23 on a trip to Houston staying below 70 mph and worst was 18 high-revving and driving up and down the hills over here.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #16
esanvilla is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air National Guard
esanvilla's Tacoma Gallery
I also have two forms of envy going on:
ENVY NUMBER 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiVR6r View Post
I get 24-25 around town and 30 on the highway.
1 tank often takes me to 475 total miles before I refill.
By then I'm driving on fumes.
ENVY NUMBER 2:
Quote:
the v6 will thrown u back in ur seat. i punched it b/c i was pissed and it peeled out and threw me back in the seat w/ the 32's on
I'm in between here.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #17

I get about 15-16 city 18 highway. 6-speed manual is geared differently.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #18
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 2.7 2TR-FE PreRunner Access Cab paired to a 5-Speed manual. Mixed city and highway, I average 22 mpg. I usually get about 400 miles to a tank.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #19
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3bow View Post
I peel out in my shiat too, 4 banger baby!!
You forgot to mention AWESOME LOOKING 4 banger!!!