View Poll Results: Best First-gen cold air intake/filter
K&N 30 24.39%
AFE 37 30.08%
Volant 12 9.76%
Airaid 4 3.25%
Stock 40 32.52%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
~CAI Poll~

I have a 2003 tacoma v6 and I'm looking at installing a CAI but before I do I was curious as to which brand you would all recommend. I'm not a huge fan of the Deck Plate Mod idea so I figured I would go with the CAI. I'm also not 100% opposed to drop-in filters but I like cool sounds
Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Deck plate gives better gains than a "CAI".
Old 01-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Seeing as i'm only 17 I'd probably mess something up if i tried it =P
Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i voted stock. keep the stock airbox and do the deckplate mod...with a good filter.....alot cheaper, and way better results.

the deckplate mod is prolly the easiest mod that there is.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
hmm interesting, well i'll definately give it more thought thanks for your input
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Deck plate gives better gains than a "CAI".
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i voted stock. keep the stock airbox and do the deckplate mod...with a good filter.....alot cheaper, and way better results.

^^ What they said.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
SAVAGE BEAST
cmm1980 is a name known to allcmm1980 is a name known to allcmm1980 is a name known to allcmm1980 is a name known to allcmm1980 is a name known to allcmm1980 is a name known to all

Army: SPC, MLRS, 1/27th Field Artillery
Name: Casey
cmm1980's Tacoma Gallery
I went with AFE Stage 2 w/AFE Bullet Throttle Body Spacer and I have no regrets. There is a noticable difference from stock in MPG and throttle response.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #8

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
If I don't do the deck plate mod I was thinking AFE would be the best choice
Old 03-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPain View Post
If I don't do the deck plate mod I was thinking AFE would be the best choice

If you take your truck in the dirt you don't want a CAI i have one and I need to clean my filter every time I take it off road. Sure it looks cool under the hood but you can't see it driving if you do get one make sure it's enclosed in a box and not open.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
URD
Old 03-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
You fail. jk It is going on a 1st gen.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
Tliv05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Taylor
Tliv05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post

X3
Deckplate makes your truck growl just as good as a CAI Imo. Plus before you drop 200 on a CAI its worth the 15 bucks. pretty hard to F up the deckplate mod. trace it, cut it, drop a K&N in there and your set to roll. i did it to mine and im really glad I didnt drop 200 on a CAI. put your 200 towards headers and exhaust...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
How is getting air from under the hood going to be colder than from the fender well or from the front grill? Please explain this strange phenomenon
Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
How is getting air from under the hood going to be colder than from the fender well or from the front grill? Please explain this strange phenomenon
The airbox on the 1st gens is right behind the headlight. Cold air flows through that area from the front of the truck.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
Tliv05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Taylor
Tliv05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The airbox on the 1st gens is right behind the headlight. Cold air flows through that area from the front of the truck.
Plus when you get a CAI it pulls air from the exact same spot as the stock airbox so it really just gets more air in, also that fan on the 1st gens is strong and pushes a ton of air, I dont have a lot of hot air rolling around in mine much
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPain View Post
Seeing as i'm only 17 I'd probably mess something up if i tried it =P
Chris is in Arizona he might help you out with the Deck Plate Mod?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
MedicalTacoma is on a distinguished road
MedicalTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a first gen and dont know much about working on trucks but i managed to do it without a dribble and didnt mess anything up and at that i got a 4 inch deckplate to fit. Used a little saw and some metal clippers took way longer then it was suppose to but was worth it. Not hard at all. Dribble def makes it 10x easier though.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
Sanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Reed
Sanders17's Tacoma Gallery
Do Not i repeat do not buy the K&N. AFE or stock man.