Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Spark plug change

Old 03-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Carolina Alliance
LQQKatmy06 is on a distinguished road

LQQKatmy06's Tacoma Gallery
Spark plug change

Just did the 30,000 plug change, the drivers side is a *itch took twice as long as the pass side. I had the NGK on drivers and Denso on pass side, the guy at the Toyota parts counter thought I was crazy and never heard of them being different from side to side. Went back with the Denso on both sides.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKatmy06 View Post
Just did the 30,000 plug change, the drivers side is a *itch took twice as long as the pass side. I had the NGK on drivers and Denso on pass side, the guy at the Toyota parts counter thought I was crazy and never heard of them being different from side to side. Went back with the Denso on both sides.
i'll be changing mine, just in time for the meet, in 300 miles. did you go back with the standard copper plugs?? how worn down were the stock plugs when you pulled them out??

i had been thinking of going to the iridium plugs.....but i dont mind changing the plugs every 30k.....so i think im gonna stick with the coppers.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance
LQQKatmy06 is on a distinguished road

LQQKatmy06's Tacoma Gallery
Went back with the copper, could of ran the plugs for another 30,000 but I always used 93 up until gas went crazy here.

Higher octane burns colder so its not as hard on plugs. After you change your plugs you might wish you went with the iridium, Im already not looking forward to the next change.

I had to connect 2 6" extensions together to reach plugs and get above plastic cover on top of the motor to turn my ratchet with no obstructions.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i'll be changing mine, just in time for the meet, in 300 miles. did you go back with the standard copper plugs?? how worn down were the stock plugs when you pulled them out??

i had been thinking of going to the iridium plugs.....but i dont mind changing the plugs every 30k.....so i think im gonna stick with the coppers.
Tacomaman - Were your plugs different on both sides as well? I read this on another post as well.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
Tacomaman - Were your plugs different on both sides as well? I read this on another post as well.
yeah, they were. ngk on one side/denso on the other. its they way they are installed at the factory........when they come down the line, one guy has ngk/one guy has denso. its kinda weird.......it was even like that in the 06 i got a couple of months ago. i went with standard denso copper plugs on the 06 i had and on the 04 i have now. easy change.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Ahaszard is on a distinguished road
Army: MSG Retired
Ahaszard's Tacoma Gallery
My 07 FJ Cruiser had the same. Denso on passenger side and NKG on driver. I have not check the Tacoma yet.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
TS22 is on a distinguished road

TS22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahaszard View Post
My 07 FJ Cruiser had the same. Denso on passenger side and NKG on driver. I have not check the Tacoma yet.
My 06 Tacoma was this way also...I replaced them all with NGK. The guy who did them for me said he had never seen anything like that before.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
isusww is on a distinguished road
isusww's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to change mine this week. I'm going to use the NGK Iridium's all around. Anyone know of a good place to purchase them from? The website doesn't show a part # recommended for an '05 V6. I've found that the Iridium IX have a part # of 6619.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isusww View Post
I'm going to change mine this week. I'm going to use the NGK Iridium's all around. Anyone know of a good place to purchase them from? The website doesn't show a part # recommended for an '05 V6. I've found that the Iridium IX have a part # of 6619.
I did the NGK irridiums a month ago. I bought them from Advanced auto parts. Paid (I think) $63 that included tax. The NGK platinum & irridium were the same price. I looked online at different places, they were more expensive than Advanced. Plus online you would have to pay for shipping.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
Rojo is on a distinguished road

Rojo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to do the plugs on my 02 as well and have been looking at the NGK Laser Platinums and the NGK Iridiums. I've noticed that the LPs have the twin ground that is required and the Iridums just have a single. Does this really matter? Are there some twin ground Iridiums out there?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
I'm about to do the plugs on my 02 as well and have been looking at the NGK Laser Platinums and the NGK Iridiums. I've noticed that the LPs have the twin ground that is required and the Iridums just have a single. Does this really matter? Are there some twin ground Iridiums out there?
Use the OEM twin ground copper plugs for best results.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
Hey. Im about to change my plugs, I don't think my plugs came pre gapped. Just to make sure, whats the gap for an 06 prerunner, 4L V6?
.039 to .043
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone use the Autoligh iridium XPs? They were the best ones Kragen had. But now everyone I ask wonders why I didn't go NGK or Denso. Does the brand really make that big-o-diff? Are the Autolights a crappy brand? Should I take them back and get diffrent ones or put them in and see how it runs. Don't want to blow $50 bucks if I don't have to.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
Anyone use the Autoligh iridium XPs? They were the best ones Kragen had. But now everyone I ask wonders why I didn't go NGK or Denso. Does the brand really make that big-o-diff? Are the Autolights a crappy brand? Should I take them back and get diffrent ones or put them in and see how it runs. Don't want to blow $50 bucks if I don't have to.
the denso's and ngk's just run better in the tacomas. you can run those autolite's and see how they do, but i'd stick with denso or ngk......just my .02.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #16
BUSATODD
busatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

busatodd's Tacoma Gallery
is it nessesary to replace the plugs at 30,000? i have an 05 with 34,000. is 30k what the book suggest?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by busatodd View Post
is it nessesary to replace the plugs at 30,000? i have an 05 with 34,000. is 30k what the book suggest?
yeah.....its recommended to change the plugs at 30k on the v6, and 100k for the 4cyl's(they come with iridiums from the factory).
Old 12-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
BUSATODD
busatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbusatodd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

busatodd's Tacoma Gallery
would you put the iridiums back in it? without haveing to look it up, do you know what i need to set the gap is?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by busatodd View Post
would you put the iridiums back in it? without haveing to look it up, do you know what i need to set the gap is?
on both my tacomas.......i just went back with regular copper core denso's.....alot cheaper than iridiums, but then again, i dont mind replacing them every 30k. and gap should be right around .039 to .043. i set all mine right around .040, and i havent had any problems with them.