Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD CAI Foam Check

Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
champdo is on a distinguished road
champdo's Tacoma Gallery
TRD CAI Foam Check

Learn from my almost costly mistake...

I installed a TRD CAI in my 2009 DC the other night. The install was quick and easy as others have posted. I took the truck for a test drive and was pleased with the extra throttle response and added growl during acceleration. 2 miles into the drive I came to a stop for a light. The truck threw a code and I had absolutely no power. I couldn't even get out of 2nd gear. Yet it seemed to idle ok.

I limped home and inspected my work. I thought maybe one of the hoses off the new intake had worked loose. I couldn't find anything wrong so I lifted the negative terminal to clear the codes and reset the computers. Took it for a drive and had no problems.

The next day I left for work. About 4 miles from the house I came to a stop and the same thing (code and no power). I pulled over shut the engine off for about 2 minutes, started it up and drove the remaining 20 miles to work with no problem.

That night it happened again (code,no power, ok after shut down). I was about ready to reinstall the OEM intake. As I took apart the TRD CAI I found the problem. There was a credit card size piece of packing foam in my throttle body !! It had caught on a sharp edge of the throttle itself.

The foam must have been stuck to the side wall of the new CAI intake or maybe in the filter body itself. In either case even though I did a quick inspection during the initial install I apparently missed the foam.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
OnTheDarkSideOfTheMoon
silverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant futuresilverbullet05 has a brilliant future

Name: SlickRick
silverbullet05's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you caught it before anything bad happened.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet05 View Post
Glad you caught it before anything bad happened.
x2
Old 02-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Duff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to behold
Marines: Ammunition Technician, Marine Corps Security Force Regiment
Name: Sean
Duff Man's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Duff Man
Good thing it was something simple, and nothing wrong with your truck
Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Duff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to behold
once you got that taken care of though, would you say the CAI is worth the $$$. I'm just curious because I'm thinking about getting one with my tax return.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff Man View Post
once you got that taken care of though, would you say the CAI is worth the $$$. I'm just curious because I'm thinking about getting one with my tax return.
Define "worth the $$$"? It adds a nice growl to the engine, especially does a good job complementing an exhaust install. You might gain a couple HP at the crank. Nothing at the wheels.

I enjoy mine purely for the sound. Contrary to popular belief, making your engine louder isn't just decorative. It can help you hear anomalies sooner rather than later, preventing problems.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Well I had a K&N and it was pretty bad. I guess I just want to see how others like the TRD before I purchase it. Just want to be sure I'm getting a good product. But what you described is what I'm looking for so I think I got my answer. BTW what part of Salisbury are you from? My family lives out by happy lake.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
champdo's Tacoma Gallery
It definitely added a ton of throttle response compared to the stock intake. It also made the TRD Catback exhaust more pronounced. I do think there is a more pronounced increase in RPMs when I depress the clutch to shift. This has caused me to adjust the way I shift slightly. Not a big deal just taking awhile to get used to.

I didn't really pay for the CAI out of pocket. When I purchased the truck in November Toyota was offering a 0% rate for 6 months if you opened one of their credit cards. The card also offered a points program. I used the card for a down payment and got enough points to purchase the CAI (you had to use the points with Toyota). The truck was driven by the dealership owner and was considered a demo. It had 5K on it when I purchased it but also had about $3k in other TRD mods so the CAI was the only mod left to purchase with my points.

I definitely like the TRD CAI but probably would have spent the money on something else like a Tonneau cover first if I wasn't using my Toyota points.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
champdo's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with jandrews I do love the growl !!! Went through the first tank of gas real quick just to hear it !!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff Man View Post
Well I had a K&N and it was pretty bad. I guess I just want to see how others like the TRD before I purchase it. Just want to be sure I'm getting a good product. But what you described is what I'm looking for so I think I got my answer. BTW what part of Salisbury are you from? My family lives out by happy lake.
...Western? I'm on highway 70 right before you leave Salisbury headed west toward Cleveland.

The TRD CAI is definitely quality built with perfect fitment. I haven't washed/re-oiled the filter yet (less than 5k on the truck), but it looks like getting it on and off will be a breeze.