Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What's the best sounding exhaust for the 3.4L V6?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
What's the best sounding exhaust for the 3.4L V6?

I have some kind of generic muffler, looks like a flowmaster, on right now but It's not loud enough for me. What's the loudest/best sounding exhaust available for the 1st gen tacoma's 3.4L V6?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Spintech single chamber, with 2.5 inch tubing.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
The loudest would probably be to cut the exhaust piping straight from the engine, reroute it into the cab and wear an SCBA while driving everywhere.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
Spintech single chamber, with 2.5 inch tubing.
How much do those cost?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
ILove2Drive's Tacoma Gallery
I used to run two flowmasters on mine and it wasn't loud enough for me, so I just cut them off, and IMO it sounds the best it ever has. From cat back I have 3" pipe.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #6

You don't have any mufflers on?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
How much do those cost?

goes anywhere from 125-200 with muffler depends on what shop you go to.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nope, its pretty loud, it may be louder than you're wanting but IMO it sounds really good, I get compliments on it all the time saying it sounds great
Old 02-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove2Drive View Post
plus you dont have to pay for a muffler you could always give it a try and see if you like it
Where do you have them cut off?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
THRUSH! my buddy has a flowmaster 40, sounds pretty similar, but mine is louder and sounds nicer. It's also very cheap.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #12

Keep In mind that I'm also in California. So If it's going to be a problem smogging it, I might have to figure something else out...

How much is your thrush?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #13

Nah, you could just go to a muffler shop and have them do it if you can find one that will. It'll probably cost you ballpark around $30 for them to do it. More if you go with 3 inch pipe. I have a buddy that straight piped his 2.7 L tacoma with stock piping just no muffler and it is one of the best sounding 4 bangers I've heard. And also no muffler wouldn't affect smog.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #14

Flowmaster also makes a single chamber racing muffler the flowmaster 10. it'll probably be a little quieter than straight pipes, but its pretty open, if I had a muffler on id probably go with something like that for sure!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
i run a thrush turbo model, factory piping, however you can run a larger pipe after the muffler and it will be louder, i love mine, its not loud but a nice deep mellow tone.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
THRUSH! my buddy has a flowmaster 40, sounds pretty similar, but mine is louder and sounds nicer. It's also very cheap.

+1
Old 02-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #17
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I can't remember how much my thrush was, I'll get a video though
Old 02-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #18

So If I straight pipe it, where would i need to have it cut off?
Old 02-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #19

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
don't straight pipe it, it'll be loud as fuck and sound like a honda civic.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #20

THen what should I do to get a nice, deep throaty sound?