1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just Got Headers Installed

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by roxspin72, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Apr 2, 2008 at 8:44 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 [OP] Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Yup, they are on, and they are awesome. Just want to say thanks to TACOROCK for the all the help. I got to say, truck sounds cool at idle and low RPM, but if I open it up it is a whole different world. Scared the shit out of my wife when I was showing off on the way to gas station.

Will post pics later when have time...:cool:

2. Apr 2, 2008 at 10:28 PM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    What headers did you go with???? I've been looking at a few different ones. I bet it sounds bad ass!!

3. Apr 3, 2008 at 4:08 AM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I bought JBA stainless ceramics from TACOROCK. Pretty easy install, besides dealling with tight space. One thing though, getting them from him allowed me to not have to deal w/welding them to the front cats. He had that already done. So that saved me time and money.

As for sound, I am happy, Not so loud for daily driving, but masively noticeable when I need to get up and go. Mite get URD Y-pipe in future. Waiting to research more on Back pressure specs...

4. Apr 3, 2008 at 1:15 PM
    TACOROCK

TACOROCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    FAYETTEVILLE NC
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA LIFTED
    URD SUPERCHARGER 80MM PULLEY, DOUG THORLEY LONG TUBE HEADERS, MODIFIED Y-PIPE, TRUE DUAL EXHAUST MAGNAFLOW 2 IN 2 OUT, PRO COMP 6" LIFT, WIDEBAND 02/FUEL SENSOR, AVIC D3, 2 PIONEER SUBS ON A MEMPHIS 1200 WATT AMP RMS, DIY MOD FOR ALL INTERIOR SPEAKERS FULL TINT, LEER CAMPER, EURO LIGHTS, BILLET GRILL, BULL BAR WESTIN RUNNING BARS, AIR HORN, AND A RADIATOR POPPER
    right on bro... thats funny im glad your wife was startled... remember in a week or so retighten all the header nuts!!

5. Apr 3, 2008 at 1:17 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Ha ha, sure thing man...

thanks.

6. Apr 3, 2008 at 2:34 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i need to hear it now.

7. Apr 3, 2008 at 2:46 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    yeah dude, it's awesome. I am really thinking of dropping those rear cats like yesterday. shit there is no turning back now, and I pretty much aint going to go to the trouble of returning to stock condition. I will grow old with my truck:eek:, Hah, why not!!!

8. Apr 4, 2008 at 5:41 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    If you drop those cats let me know how you like it, I may get mine cut.

9. Apr 4, 2008 at 6:25 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Will be out monday.. Working on before and after video... To bad I did not do this throughout my switch from Airaid to XDI ,then Headers etc..

Oh well, at least you can all compare the two and decide if it's worth messing with the cats..

Will post Monday night.

10. Apr 4, 2008 at 6:58 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    That will be great.

11. Apr 4, 2008 at 7:02 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    What did it do for performance?

12. Apr 4, 2008 at 7:06 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    which mod???

13. Apr 4, 2008 at 7:14 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    The headers..no mention of power-just sound, I figur you must have picked up considerable power here, no?

14. Apr 4, 2008 at 9:31 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Feel alot more take off, so I guess the torque definately increased. All around I think they completed my set up. 3 in 1 pkg performance; Intake, Headers, Exh...

Oh,,, and now driving slow is fun cause you can actually feel and hear the tone of a small V8. I am definately getting attention since the Headers. Intake and Exhaust alone only when getting up on the pedal.:rolleyes:

15. Apr 5, 2008 at 1:00 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Roxspin72: I am offshore and can't seem to remember seeing two sets of cat on our trucks. Am I understanding correctly there is a set up front that connects to the headers then another set in back? The short headers allow you to just bolt up and the long tube require you to weld them? What would be the advantage of long over short? With the long tube would you need to relocate your o2 sensor? I am working nights so I'll get back on around 6pm if there isn't any work to do out here. Thanks in advance.

16. Apr 5, 2008 at 4:57 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Sounds real good Rock! I'd be interested in knowing how the whole setup affects your smog if at all?

17. Apr 5, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    JBA short tube Headers need to be welded to your first Cats. then there is a flange from the Cat to the stock Y-pipe which has O2 sensor port and another set Cats... These can be cut, or replace Y-pipe all together without throwing a code. CEL...

DT long tube Headers bolt right up to stock or aftermarket Y-pipe, eliminating the first Cats, and possibly rear Cats if you cut or purchase the URD Y-pipe. CEL will be on unless you install the O2 simulators in the port provided by DT.

Dont own DT's, but heard good things. Like the JBA's, not very loud, stay within emission req. And, will get little more rumble once second cats are gone.

Note: Most cars I've know'n have stock exh. header/catilitic conv/maybe a resonator/muffler.

Why Tacoma is runing 4 cats stumps me. When I puchased my Borla cat back, I was expecting Y-pipe include, which would have been the case if Toyota did not put unneccessary cats there. Madrel bent piping is the benefit for aftermarket exh system, and the worst bends on the Tacoma is at the Y-pipe...

Well I think I said enough.........

18. Apr 5, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    TACOROCK

TACOROCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    FAYETTEVILLE NC
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA LIFTED
    URD SUPERCHARGER 80MM PULLEY, DOUG THORLEY LONG TUBE HEADERS, MODIFIED Y-PIPE, TRUE DUAL EXHAUST MAGNAFLOW 2 IN 2 OUT, PRO COMP 6" LIFT, WIDEBAND 02/FUEL SENSOR, AVIC D3, 2 PIONEER SUBS ON A MEMPHIS 1200 WATT AMP RMS, DIY MOD FOR ALL INTERIOR SPEAKERS FULL TINT, LEER CAMPER, EURO LIGHTS, BILLET GRILL, BULL BAR WESTIN RUNNING BARS, AIR HORN, AND A RADIATOR POPPER
    hey bro, i put the headers on Roxspin72's truck they were my headers originally you have a total of 4 cats on your truck 2 per engine side/exhaust manifold: off of your block it goes like such...... DRIVERS SIDE ( stock header have 3 port flange half of the v-6 6" back you have an o2 sensor the same for the passengers side 4" after the o2 sensor you will have a cat on each side) 4" after the cat you have an exhaust flange which connects to the y-pipe. that is the end of the "header" on both sides. from that flange 6" back you will have another 02 sensor on both sides. then a second cat on each tube coming off of the headers. then they connect at a y flange and go back to the muufler and to your tip.

shorty headers: will require cutting your old cats off stock headers and welding them on to the aftermarket "SHORTY" headers.
    pros: you will remain state emissions legal this route! advanteges ported a little wider from the header flange and conjoin all 3 ports into one as a sucking/synchranizing all 3 ports on each side.
    cons: usually expensive and not as easy as you think even if you are an exerianced welder.

long tube headers: same length as stock headers to include cats.
    pros: bolt on and eliminates the front cats usually cheaper. largest hp gains.
    cons: used for off-road use only. not emissions legal. you can purchase a bypass to your computer though. to make anyone who is inspecting you for emmisions think differantly.

for both setups your o2 sensor stay in the same location

19. Apr 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Roxspin72 and Tacorock for the information I understand competley. I don't even have my truck to look at for reference and fully understand.

20. Apr 6, 2008 at 4:30 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Here is the first video...

th_exhaustsystempreY-pipe_0001_232f3011a688a36a13c26273381062d4db1beb36.jpg

will post without rear Cats tomorrow...

Products Discussed in