Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Just Got Headers Installed

Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Just Got Headers Installed

Yup, they are on, and they are awesome. Just want to say thanks to TACOROCK for the all the help. I got to say, truck sounds cool at idle and low RPM, but if I open it up it is a whole different world. Scared the shit out of my wife when I was showing off on the way to gas station.

Will post pics later when have time...
Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Yup, they are on, and they are awesome. Just want to say thanks to TACOROCK for the all the help. I got to say, truck sounds cool at idle and low RPM, but if I open it up it is a whole different world. Scared the shit out of my wife when I was showing off on the way to gas station.

Will post pics later when have time...
What headers did you go with???? I've been looking at a few different ones. I bet it sounds bad ass!!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
What headers did you go with???? I've been looking at a few different ones. I bet it sounds bad ass!!
I bought JBA stainless ceramics from TACOROCK. Pretty easy install, besides dealling with tight space. One thing though, getting them from him allowed me to not have to deal w/welding them to the front cats. He had that already done. So that saved me time and money.

As for sound, I am happy, Not so loud for daily driving, but masively noticeable when I need to get up and go. Mite get URD Y-pipe in future. Waiting to research more on Back pressure specs...
Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOROCK View Post
right on bro... thats funny im glad your wife was startled... remember in a week or so retighten all the header nuts!!
Ha ha, sure thing man...

thanks.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i need to hear it now.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i need to hear it now.
yeah dude, it's awesome. I am really thinking of dropping those rear cats like yesterday. shit there is no turning back now, and I pretty much aint going to go to the trouble of returning to stock condition. I will grow old with my truck, Hah, why not!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
If you drop those cats let me know how you like it, I may get mine cut.
Will be out monday.. Working on before and after video... To bad I did not do this throughout my switch from Airaid to XDI ,then Headers etc..

Oh well, at least you can all compare the two and decide if it's worth messing with the cats..

Will post Monday night.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
What did it do for performance?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
What did it do for performance?
which mod???
Old 04-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The headers..no mention of power-just sound, I figur you must have picked up considerable power here, no?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
The headers..no mention of power-just sound, I figur you must have picked up considerable power here, no?
Feel alot more take off, so I guess the torque definately increased. All around I think they completed my set up. 3 in 1 pkg performance; Intake, Headers, Exh...

Oh,,, and now driving slow is fun cause you can actually feel and hear the tone of a small V8. I am definately getting attention since the Headers. Intake and Exhaust alone only when getting up on the pedal.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #15
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Roxspin72: I am offshore and can't seem to remember seeing two sets of cat on our trucks. Am I understanding correctly there is a set up front that connects to the headers then another set in back? The short headers allow you to just bolt up and the long tube require you to weld them? What would be the advantage of long over short? With the long tube would you need to relocate your o2 sensor? I am working nights so I'll get back on around 6pm if there isn't any work to do out here. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:57 AM   #16

Sounds real good Rock! I'd be interested in knowing how the whole setup affects your smog if at all?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #17
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Roxspin72: I am offshore and can't seem to remember seeing two sets of cat on our trucks. Am I understanding correctly there is a set up front that connects to the headers then another set in back? The short headers allow you to just bolt up and the long tube require you to weld them? What would be the advantage of long over short? With the long tube would you need to relocate your o2 sensor? I am working nights so I'll get back on around 6pm if there isn't any work to do out here. Thanks in advance.
JBA short tube Headers need to be welded to your first Cats. then there is a flange from the Cat to the stock Y-pipe which has O2 sensor port and another set Cats... These can be cut, or replace Y-pipe all together without throwing a code. CEL...

DT long tube Headers bolt right up to stock or aftermarket Y-pipe, eliminating the first Cats, and possibly rear Cats if you cut or purchase the URD Y-pipe. CEL will be on unless you install the O2 simulators in the port provided by DT.

Dont own DT's, but heard good things. Like the JBA's, not very loud, stay within emission req. And, will get little more rumble once second cats are gone.

Note: Most cars I've know'n have stock exh. header/catilitic conv/maybe a resonator/muffler.

Why Tacoma is runing 4 cats stumps me. When I puchased my Borla cat back, I was expecting Y-pipe include, which would have been the case if Toyota did not put unneccessary cats there. Madrel bent piping is the benefit for aftermarket exh system, and the worst bends on the Tacoma is at the Y-pipe...

Well I think I said enough.........
Old 04-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #18
TACOROCK is an unknown quantity at this point

TACOROCK's Tacoma Gallery
hey bro, i put the headers on Roxspin72's truck they were my headers originally you have a total of 4 cats on your truck 2 per engine side/exhaust manifold: off of your block it goes like such...... DRIVERS SIDE ( stock header have 3 port flange half of the v-6 6" back you have an o2 sensor the same for the passengers side 4" after the o2 sensor you will have a cat on each side) 4" after the cat you have an exhaust flange which connects to the y-pipe. that is the end of the "header" on both sides. from that flange 6" back you will have another 02 sensor on both sides. then a second cat on each tube coming off of the headers. then they connect at a y flange and go back to the muufler and to your tip.

shorty headers: will require cutting your old cats off stock headers and welding them on to the aftermarket "SHORTY" headers.
pros: you will remain state emissions legal this route! advanteges ported a little wider from the header flange and conjoin all 3 ports into one as a sucking/synchranizing all 3 ports on each side.
cons: usually expensive and not as easy as you think even if you are an exerianced welder.

long tube headers: same length as stock headers to include cats.
pros: bolt on and eliminates the front cats usually cheaper. largest hp gains.
cons: used for off-road use only. not emissions legal. you can purchase a bypass to your computer though. to make anyone who is inspecting you for emmisions think differantly.

for both setups your o2 sensor stay in the same location
Old 04-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #20
Enjoying my addiction

Exclamation Before Y-Pipe Mod

Here is the first video...

will post without rear Cats tomorrow...