1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flowmaster

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Doug, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Feb 6, 2007 at 5:28 PM
    Doug

Doug [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2007 Tacoma and have been shopping around for an after market exhaust. A local Midas says that they can swap the stock muffler for a flowmaster, using all the stock pipes for 90 bucks plus installation. With a Warranty. Has anybody head of doing this, make sense to me, the pipes are all brand new, no need to replace them, save a fancy tip.

2. Feb 6, 2007 at 7:17 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    How reliable are they and have you check if your warranty will void from your dealer? check it out first before you do any mods.

3. Feb 6, 2007 at 8:03 PM
    BigBacon

BigBacon Member

Member:
    yeah they can...but i would run new pipes.....I personaly would run a high flow cat..with 2 1/2" pipe..with ..well your choice of muffler..

4. Feb 7, 2007 at 2:31 AM
    Doug

Doug [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yes, I did run it past the warranty Point of Contact at the dealership, and yes unfortunately it does void the warranty on the exaust, as it would on any of ours, other than possibly a dealer installed TRD. I also asked the dealer about the warranty and an after market air intake, to which he replied - the entire engine warranty would be void, no control over what is coming in, so anyone thinking of one, check yours too.
    I am leaning toward reusing the pipes, seems unneccessary to put all new pipes on other than to increase size. Infact, what are stock pipes usually? 1 3/4" or so I guess, what would increaing that do? The sole purpose of this is for sound.

5. Feb 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM
    twoarezee

twoarezee Well-Known Member

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    you should get a 18" magnaflow and keep the stock pipes. i know people with 2nd gens and they switched from flowmaster to magnaflow because the didn't like the sound.

6. Feb 11, 2007 at 7:03 PM
    tucsontoast

tucsontoast Active Member

Member:
    Hey ToyotaItes!

I'm looking into an exhuast change on my 07 Tacoma 4.0, we can't have all this quiet going on. I prefer the exotic sports car sound to the deep rumble, but would settle for something similar to the older Mustang 5.o sound (low growl when punched). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

7. Feb 12, 2007 at 10:04 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    If all you want is a more aggressive sound than keeping the stock pipes will work okay for you. If you actually want the performance from a high flow muffler, than you need to get the cat-back at least. The larger diameter allows more flow (which will also increase the volume) and the aftermarket pipes usually have better bends in them, meaning no flat spots or narrowing.

If I was you I would spend the extra money and get a cat-back system.

8. Feb 12, 2007 at 10:15 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    I have a 4.6 Mustang that sounds great but thats with a "full" exhaust system. Mac long tube headers, custom cut H pipe, and Shawn Highland cat-back. A lot of my Mustang buddies (5.0, 351s and 4.6) use Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers which are pretty loud, if you want it a little more quite than there’s the 3 chamber. Another popular muffler is the MACs. Not sure what they would sound like on a Tacoma but they all sound great on a Mustang.

9. Feb 22, 2007 at 11:53 AM
    AZtacoma07

AZtacoma07 Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    K&N, Coverking seat covers, Magnaflow, pop n lock,AT tires, Suspension TSB,Undercover tonneau cover,
    I have done a lot of reading up on the flowmaster vs magnaflow mufflers. I have had only flowmasters in the past because I wanted that loud sound. Maybe I am getting older...but I am looking for performance and a SOME sound to go along with it. I am planning keeping all the pipes in place and starting with just the magnaflow 18" muffler. If I don't think that I am getting any benefit from that, I will look at the cat's or something else. I am getting this done next week, so I will let you know how it go's.

10. Oct 9, 2008 at 11:47 PM
    roggs01

roggs01 Roggs01

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    Predator steps,Method NVs, 285-70-17 KO2s
    How did the exhaust turn out? Happy with the purchase?

11. Oct 10, 2008 at 4:05 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Good Luck getting a V8 sound out of a V6.....
    But anything is better than this stock *quiet* exhaust from the factory.

One of these days I'm going for the Flowmaster dual exit cat back with the 50 series muffler. Quieter and rumbly. Atleast, I hope. Youtube videos aren't always the best.

12. Oct 10, 2008 at 6:04 AM
    Rudbwoy7s

Rudbwoy7s Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    I got the Flowmaster 40 series welded to factory pipes and I'm happy with the sound, loud and aggressive..

13. Oct 10, 2008 at 6:08 AM
    jasonh

jasonh tossed salad anyone?

Member:
    Dallas, TX.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Pre Runner SR5
    Billy 5100's
    X2

everyone always tells me wow that little truck sounds bad ass. thats all i have too is the muffler no extra pipes or CAI or anything.

go for it dude. get it done. you'll love it

14. Oct 10, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    tacoman316

tacoman316 go big or go home

Member:
    Mobile AL
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    K&N drop in filter, Banks monster exhaust
    the best a thing you could do is go to you tube and type in tacoma exhaust clips and just listen to a few of them. the one i like the best is the bassani one but i have a banks monster exhaust on mine and i love it.

Products Discussed in

To Top