Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Flowmaster

Old 02-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Doug is on a distinguished road
Doug's Tacoma Gallery
Flowmaster

I have a 2007 Tacoma and have been shopping around for an after market exhaust. A local Midas says that they can swap the stock muffler for a flowmaster, using all the stock pipes for 90 bucks plus installation. With a Warranty. Has anybody head of doing this, make sense to me, the pipes are all brand new, no need to replace them, save a fancy tip.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
How reliable are they and have you check if your warranty will void from your dealer? check it out first before you do any mods.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
BigBacon is on a distinguished road
BigBacon's Tacoma Gallery
yeah they can...but i would run new pipes.....I personaly would run a high flow cat..with 2 1/2" pipe..with ..well your choice of muffler..
Old 02-07-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
Doug is on a distinguished road
Doug's Tacoma Gallery
Warranty Void

Yes, I did run it past the warranty Point of Contact at the dealership, and yes unfortunately it does void the warranty on the exaust, as it would on any of ours, other than possibly a dealer installed TRD. I also asked the dealer about the warranty and an after market air intake, to which he replied - the entire engine warranty would be void, no control over what is coming in, so anyone thinking of one, check yours too.
I am leaning toward reusing the pipes, seems unneccessary to put all new pipes on other than to increase size. Infact, what are stock pipes usually? 1 3/4" or so I guess, what would increaing that do? The sole purpose of this is for sound.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
twoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

twoarezee's Tacoma Gallery
you should get a 18" magnaflow and keep the stock pipes. i know people with 2nd gens and they switched from flowmaster to magnaflow because the didn't like the sound.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
tucsontoast is on a distinguished road
tucsontoast's Tacoma Gallery
Hey ToyotaItes!

I'm looking into an exhuast change on my 07 Tacoma 4.0, we can't have all this quiet going on. I prefer the exotic sports car sound to the deep rumble, but would settle for something similar to the older Mustang 5.o sound (low growl when punched). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Infact, what are stock pipes usually? 1 3/4" or so I guess, what would increaing that do? The sole purpose of this is for sound.
If all you want is a more aggressive sound than keeping the stock pipes will work okay for you. If you actually want the performance from a high flow muffler, than you need to get the cat-back at least. The larger diameter allows more flow (which will also increase the volume) and the aftermarket pipes usually have better bends in them, meaning no flat spots or narrowing.

If I was you I would spend the extra money and get a cat-back system.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsontoast View Post
Hey ToyotaItes!

I'm looking into an exhuast change on my 07 Tacoma 4.0, we can't have all this quiet going on. I prefer the exotic sports car sound to the deep rumble, but would settle for something similar to the older Mustang 5.o sound (low growl when punched). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I have a 4.6 Mustang that sounds great but thats with a "full" exhaust system. Mac long tube headers, custom cut H pipe, and Shawn Highland cat-back. A lot of my Mustang buddies (5.0, 351s and 4.6) use Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers which are pretty loud, if you want it a little more quite than there’s the 3 chamber. Another popular muffler is the MACs. Not sure what they would sound like on a Tacoma but they all sound great on a Mustang.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
AZtacoma07 is on a distinguished road
AZtacoma07's Tacoma Gallery
I have done a lot of reading up on the flowmaster vs magnaflow mufflers. I have had only flowmasters in the past because I wanted that loud sound. Maybe I am getting older...but I am looking for performance and a SOME sound to go along with it. I am planning keeping all the pipes in place and starting with just the magnaflow 18" muffler. If I don't think that I am getting any benefit from that, I will look at the cat's or something else. I am getting this done next week, so I will let you know how it go's.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsontoast View Post
Hey ToyotaItes!

Thanks!
Good Luck getting a V8 sound out of a V6.....
But anything is better than this stock *quiet* exhaust from the factory.

One of these days I'm going for the Flowmaster dual exit cat back with the 50 series muffler. Quieter and rumbly. Atleast, I hope. Youtube videos aren't always the best.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Rudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rudbwoy7s's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Flowmaster 40 series welded to factory pipes and I'm happy with the sound, loud and aggressive..
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #13
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbwoy7s View Post
I got the Flowmaster 40 series welded to factory pipes and I'm happy with the sound, loud and aggressive..
X2

everyone always tells me wow that little truck sounds bad ass. thats all i have too is the muffler no extra pipes or CAI or anything.

go for it dude. get it done. you'll love it
Old 10-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
go big or go home
tacoman316 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Machinery technicion 3rd class
tacoman316's Tacoma Gallery
the best a thing you could do is go to you tube and type in tacoma exhaust clips and just listen to a few of them. the one i like the best is the bassani one but i have a banks monster exhaust on mine and i love it.