Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What octane are you running??

Old 02-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #21
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
Since I live in Germany I am pretty much forced to buy Gas through the Exchange. It is Esso fuel and I have had no problems with it. The lowest that I can buy is 90 so that is what I run. I could go lower but I would have to buy it out on the economy and that just isn't going to happen. On post it is $3.09 a gallon, Off post it is 1.34 Euro a Liter which is equivelant to 4.02 Euro a Gallon or $5.54 a gallon for 87.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=XrunnIT;1411582]Have you reset the ECU after switching fuel grades (disconnect battery)? Do that, and I bet you see a difference.

Not true. Our motors have a high CR from the factory (10:1). Higher octane will reduce knock, and allow for more performance.

Our ECUs are a learning ECU, with a knock feedback system. The knock feedback system is designed to always test the knock threshold to learn the boundaries for spark advance.

Meaning when you run a higher grade octane, reset the battery and force the ECU to 'relearn' the tune, it will test for higher octane and add more timing. That extra timing = more power.

Going from 87 octane to 93, will be the same as someone going from 93 octane to race fuel status (99 oct). Per octane point increase you can usually add .5-1.5 of timing depending on fuel quality. Every degree of advance can net you up to 4hp (as long as knock is suppressed) If you add 6 of advance (for 6pt of octane increase), you can add up to ~24hp (supposing the ECU auto-advances 6).

Read my previous entry. The trucks are capable of running 87 octane without any problem, it does that by pulling timing. But like I said, our ECUs are self aware, and use a reactive tuning method to check knock thresholds to keep the motor safe.

Unfortunately you can't really use that in reference to our vehicles. Different ECUs altogether, won't respond in the same way.

If you are looking for the extra performance, use 91 and reset the ECU, let it learn the new gas. Looking to stay on a budget, nothing wrong with 87.[/QUOTE awesome info...
Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #23
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever mid-grade is out here in NV!!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #24
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

awesome info about reseting the ecu! so i run 91 and i changed out my battery two months a go so i should be good!!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #25
ROOTIN AROUND
08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of

Army: BNCOC SGL
Name: Joshua
08TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
the cheapest one at the pump
Old 02-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #26
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Przemek
Przemekmsu's Tacoma Gallery
Shell all the way!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #27
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I thought that higher octane had an advantage in the 4.0, but did nothing for the 2.7. I know in my 2.7, I noticed zero improvement in performance or fuel economy running higher octane. The 4.0 was originally designed to run high octane, but in 2007 (I may be wrong about the year) they changed the requirement to 87 or higher. Usually in a modern engine that requires high octane, you can run a lower octane at the expense of some performance. Therefore, if you run high octane in the 4.0, you should see some performance gains. I could be wrong. It's been known to happen.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #28
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I run 93 octane for the reasons Xrunnit mentioned and the fact that the engine IMMEDIATELY idled smoother and revved smoother when I ran my first tank of 93.

It was obviously happier, and with the TRD Catback and CAI it was easy as hell to hear the difference.

I typically run BP or Shell gas for the high levels of detergent additives they use (above federal requirements).
Old 02-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #29
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
I run E10 90 Octane, I burn a quarter tank just pulling out the driveway.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #30
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I run 93 octane for the reasons Xrunnit mentioned and the fact that the engine IMMEDIATELY idled smoother and revved smoother when I ran my first tank of 93.

It was obviously happier, and with the TRD Catback and CAI it was easy as hell to hear the difference.

I typically run BP or Shell gas for the high levels of detergent additives they use (above federal requirements).
X2.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #31
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Speaking of Shell gas, what's the deal with them putting nitrogen in their fuel? I don't see the advantage. Anybody know? Sorry, I know it's a little off topic, but I keep seeing these Shell nitrogen commercials and I'm curious to know if anybody has noticed a difference.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #32
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
BP 87 Octane every tank. No problems yet. I'm not a 'performance' guy, so any advantages I might gain from the higher octanes isn't worth the extra cost.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #33
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
Speaking of Shell gas, what's the deal with them putting nitrogen in their fuel? I don't see the advantage. Anybody know? Sorry, I know it's a little off topic, but I keep seeing these Shell nitrogen commercials and I'm curious to know if anybody has noticed a difference.
I asked a buddy who's 6 months out from his PhD in Chemistry and received his BS in Chemical Engineering if there was any substance to this.

His answer was essentially:

1) He'd have to know exactly how they're altering the hydrocarbons with nitrogen to know what the effect would be and

2) He still can't think of any meaningful effect it would have on energy production or compression resistance.

So it's basically marketing because nitrogen is the big new thing in cars these days?

Edit: Actually just got off the line with him now:

(4:27:36 PM) JAK1484: Was just wondering if you had any insight.
(4:27:54 PM) c9h13no3hcl: well, it really depends on just what they're putting in there
(4:28:25 PM) c9h13no3hcl: nitrogen is pretty chemically androgenous
(4:28:43 PM) c9h13no3hcl: can behave a ton of different ways depending on the oxidation state its in
(4:29:18 PM) JAK1484: I think this is where my eyes start to glaze over?
(4:29:30 PM) c9h13no3hcl: ya
(4:29:37 PM) c9h13no3hcl: just making the point that its hard to tell

Yes, his damned IM name is a chemical formula. For Adrenaline, if you're curious. He's that into it.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #34
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering wtf his name meant. That makes sense.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #35
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
here's what my owners manual says.
1GR-FE engine---
Unleaded gasoline, octane rating of 87 or higher. For improved vehicle performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher.
That being said i have always used shell 93 octane since the truck was new!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #36
WTF

Quote:

I noticed the smoother idleing also with higher octane
Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #37
WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
here's what my owners manual says.
1GR-FE engine---
Unleaded gasoline, octane rating of 87 or higher. For improved vehicle performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher.
That being said i have always used shell 93 octane since the truck was new!
thats exactly what mine says so i wonder if its year specific?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #38
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
I use Mobil 87 regular in mine. I've had nothing but good luck with the stations near my house, and i'm actually kind of picky about it. See, one time many many moons ago as a young lad, I didn't know any better and thought gas was gas, and when I ran low I just pulled into whatever station was nearest and used the cheapest they had.

Got a bad tank at a Shell and nuked the car with it they replaced the tank, but they wouldn't pay for the motor damage, they said it was pre-existing. I got pretty handily screwed.

Anyhow, ever since then, I'm picky about gas stations. As much about how its transported and delivered as the gas itself!

Do the drivers drive properly cleaned and dried trucks before taking on the load? Are the tanks at the station cleaned properly and free of FOD and other chemical shit (plus water leaks and the gods only know what else)? What about the pumps themselves, are they calibrated correctly and tracking volume at temperature properly?

I take all this into account when I move and find new gas stations. A buddy of mine has a mid-6 figure Nissan 350Z with just over 600 horse at the tires, and he does the same thing Nice vindication that a guy with a 25 grand motor finds fuel the same way I do
Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #39
Broke has a spectacular aura aboutBroke has a spectacular aura about
Broke's Tacoma Gallery
i try to use the same gas station (QT) but i always add some lucas fuel injector cleaner 2.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #40
k20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shedk20me is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joseph
k20me's Tacoma Gallery
I'm required to run 91 octane.