Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Is K&N intake really worth it?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
xSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura about

Name: Caleb
xSpyderguyx's Tacoma Gallery
Is K&N intake really worth it?

So I just got a flowmaster 40 series on my 2001 tacoma. It sounds great, Iv'e heard the K&N gives you more power and mpg. Will it improve sound from the flowmaster? Im not too savvy with Intake. never really learned much about them.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Yes! I have a k&n on my truck and my brother has it on his 02 with a magnaflow, trust me it's worth it
Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
I hated my k&n 77... it was way too loud... but thats just me....

I didn't have an intake though either.... oops edit didn't have an exhaust...
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Been doing my homework. Go with a URD (underdog racing development) True Cold Air Induction, cope it with a Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust. SHould have this on my ride next month. just waiting on income tax return.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Duff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to behold
Marines: Ammunition Technician, Marine Corps Security Force Regiment
Name: Sean
Duff Man's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Duff Man
It'll definitely make your exhaust sound better. But it wont do much for performance.....good for a door stop though.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
commander101
jason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant future

Army: 2-16in/ 2-3in
jason1kyle's Tacoma Gallery
i have a k&n 77 and i love it it may be me feeling things but it sure felt liek i had more horse power out of it never had it at a dino so i dunno but from what i understand any way to get air into and outof the motor easier = more horsepower
Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I do not have one, so this is not coming from personal experience, but everything I have read on this site and others about intake mods for the 3.4 (including actual technical analysis and IIRC, dyno data, which I can't quote or link to at the moment) is that the deck plate mod is the only intake mod that provides any performance enhancement (and minimal at that). It is DIY for about $20. All the CAIs are apparently $200+ doorstops that "look cool." So it seems pretty hard to justify expensive stuff that just looks cool under the hood, unless you drive around with your hood up.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
xSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I do not have one, so this is not coming from personal experience, but everything I have read on this site and others about intake mods for the 3.4 (including actual technical analysis and IIRC, dyno data, which I can't quote or link to at the moment) is that the deck plate mod is the only intake mod that provides any performance enhancement (and minimal at that). It is DIY for about $20. All the CAIs are apparently $200+ doorstops that "look cool." So it seems pretty hard to justify expensive stuff that just looks cool under the hood, unless you drive around with your hood up.
this seems true. I would guess the K&N helps a little for HP. Ive heard it would go great with the exhuast i have(flowmaster s40). It already sounds really good, but i heard intake makes it sound really good.

When I got my flowmaster on, I did a Dyno test and it added 12.5 horsepower at 4000rpms and 13.2 peak(basically red-lined).

Ive heard that K&N can add up to 10hp.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
for the prev gen Taco, i heard the best intake you can do is the deck plate mod to the OEM intake. And its free!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
^ well not free, but close enough!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
for the prev gen Taco, i heard the best intake you can do is the deck plate mod to the OEM intake. And its free!
agreed I'm about to do the deck plate mod on my 2003. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, (supposedly better HP gains) someone has it dynoed on here. Get that with an AFE pro dry filter and you're set. I also have a flowmaster 40 so i'm excited to see the difference in sound
Old 02-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
96 tacomaPtown is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
96 tacomaPtown's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind there will be no more box on a K&N So those deep puddles might reak havoc, happens to cars all the time, sucks more air... and water if submerged, ive been looking skeptically and ordered the volant because it has a sealed box to prevent water and of course power loss from engine heat. i have the drop k&N and a Fram paper, and dont feel a lick of defference of the two, one just cleanable......
Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 tacomaPtown View Post
Keep in mind there will be no more box on a K&N So those deep puddles might reak havoc, happens to cars all the time, sucks more air... and water if submerged, ive been looking skeptically and ordered the volant because it has a sealed box to prevent water and of course power loss from engine heat.

Closed box=less air flow

I wont be driving my truck through a pond.
Does anybody know what K&N are rated for gained HP? (personal experience)
Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
i went from deckplate to full intake on my flowmaster 40 and it sounds much stronger with the intake...

better bottom end response, but not much else after that...