Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Check Engine Light after CAI install

Old 02-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
P0101 OBD-II Trouble Code

Technical Description

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem

What does that mean?

Basically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. The PCM detects that the actual MAF sensor frequency signal is not within a predetermined range of the calculated MAF value for more than 4.0 seconds. Other MAF sensor circuit DTC trouble codes are P0100, P0102, P0103, and P0104.

OBD-Codes.com on Facebook
Symptoms

You will likely not notice any serious drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.

Possible Solutions

The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Then start with the cheapest, easiest repair procedures:

Inspect for the following conditions:
An incorrectly routed harness--Inspect the harness of the MAF sensor in order to verify that it is not routed too close to the following components:
- The secondary ignition wires or coils
- Any solenoids
- Any relays
- Any motors
A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore may cause this DTC to set at idle or during deceleration. Inspect for any vacuum leaks downstream of the MAF sensor.
A wide open throttle (WOT) acceleration from a stop should cause the MAF sensor g/s display on the scan tool to increase rapidly. This increase should be from 6-12 g/s at idle to 230 g/s or more at the time of the 1-2 shift. If the increase is not observed, inspect for a restriction in the induction system or the exhaust system.
The barometric pressure (BARO) that is used in order to calculate the predicted MAF value is initially based on the MAP sensor at key ON.
When the engine is running the MAP sensor value is continually updated near WOT. A skewed MAP sensor will cause the calculated MAF value to be inaccurate. The value shown for the MAP sensor display varies with the altitude. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, 103 kPa is the approximate value near sea level. This value will decrease by approximately 3 kPa for every 305 meters (1,000 feet) of altitude.
A high resistance on the ground circuit of the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set.
Any loss of vacuum to the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set.

what he said^
i had this same code pop.it has to do with the MAF getting too much air(toyota dealership) the ecu is set for the factory air box-so when you change it you should reset your ecu (unplug battery for 30 sec) after doin that my scangauge stopped popping the code
Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #22
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't recomend trying to clean the maf sensor. those things are very easily damaged. you might just have to unplug the battery and reset the ecu. if that doesnt work u will probably have to get a maf sensor calibrator from urd.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #23
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Like ztx1000 said. I disconnected my battery for 2 mins or so and it hasn't come back...that was about 40k miles ago.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #24
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Just to update, I disconnected the battery on Monday and the CEL hasn't came back. I thought that would fix it, but I wasn't sure as my last car corrected itself after a few miles.

The truck now sounds like it was meant to, nice growl on acceleration and mild drone at highway speeds.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #25
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
This is a common problem with after market intakes. Especially the ones that use the oiled filters. Generally comes from a dirty MAF sensor. You should always do a ECU reset after installing an intake. Sometimes its just from a poorly designed intake that results in swirling or turbulent air at the MAF sensor. Pull your MAF sensor out and look for oil on it.

Here is how-to cleaning video for an FJ, should be very close to tacoma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiEdey2IHcc
Old 02-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #26
NorthernTacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Brandon
NorthernTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I installed mine last night. No code yet. However, the engine did die the first time I fired it up after the install and the engine subsequently ran at higher RPMs for the first 10 minutes and then everything went back to normal. Hasn't been an issue since. I covered my MAF sensor with a plastic bag during the install. Hopefully I won't have any other issues.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #27
cotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of light
cotruckin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cotruckin
I have a K&N intake on my truck, had it on there for almost a year then one day it started to idle rough and threw a code. I have had it tested but forgot what the code was. I have tried disconnecting the battery which does reset it for maybe up to about 200 miles then throws the code again. After putting the stock intake back on, disconnected the battery and it has not thrown one since. I am going to watch this video about the cleaning, but I am about over having the CEL come on, but I love the sound sooo much.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #28
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotruckin View Post
I have a K&N intake on my truck, had it on there for almost a year then one day it started to idle rough and threw a code. I have had it tested but forgot what the code was. I have tried disconnecting the battery which does reset it for maybe up to about 200 miles then throws the code again. After putting the stock intake back on, disconnected the battery and it has not thrown one since. I am going to watch this video about the cleaning, but I am about over having the CEL come on, but I love the sound sooo much.

After installing the new gasket that AFE sent me the code went away. I guess it was just a air leak.