Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Check Engine Light after CAI install

Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Check Engine Light after CAI install

Anyone who has installed the CAI did you throw a CEL afterwards?

I installed a CAI on my previous car and the CEL light eventually went away, but I wanna check as I don't want to unplug the battery and reset all my settings on my navigation.

Any ideas guys?
Old 02-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having a CEL problem right now with my CAI.
But it didn't appear till six months after install.
It's a MAF sensor problem
Old 02-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Find someone local w/ a Scangauge and have them clear the code

You can use mine...but im all the way in Buena Park....
^^Long drive
Old 02-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
Find someone local w/ a Scangauge and have them clear the code

You can use mine...but im all the way in Buena Park....
^^Long drive
You can clear codes with a scanguage?!?!?
Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
You can clear codes with a scanguage?!?!?
Yup
Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
Yup
Dang son!! Thats awesome... does it tell you what the code means too or does it give you a number and then you go look it up online?
Old 02-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Dang son!! Thats awesome... does it tell you what the code means too or does it give you a number and then you go look it up online?
It just gives you the code...
you have to check online what the code means.
Still pretty cool though
Old 02-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The code is P0101. Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Dane-Taco is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justus
Dane-Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Depends on the guage, many will tell you the problem as well.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
The code is P0101. Any ideas?

Just did a search....

taken from other article....

"I just got my second P0101 code since owning my truck. The first time was apparently due to a dirty K&N filter after driving through a very dusty area. Cleaned the filter and the code went away. That was about a year or so ago. Since then, I've also switched the K&N filter on my CAI for an AEM Dryflow that uses no filter oil.

Today, I got the P0101 code again. I suspect it may again be due to a dirty air filter. I drive by the beach every day and also work by the beach. The truck gets dirty very quickly every week, so odds are the filter is due to be washed."
Old 02-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Rompin Around

P0101 OBD-II Trouble Code

Technical Description

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem

What does that mean?

Basically this means that there is a problem with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor or circuit. The PCM detects that the actual MAF sensor frequency signal is not within a predetermined range of the calculated MAF value for more than 4.0 seconds. Other MAF sensor circuit DTC trouble codes are P0100, P0102, P0103, and P0104.

OBD-Codes.com on Facebook
Symptoms

You will likely not notice any serious drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.

Possible Solutions

The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Then start with the cheapest, easiest repair procedures:

Inspect for the following conditions:
An incorrectly routed harness--Inspect the harness of the MAF sensor in order to verify that it is not routed too close to the following components:
- The secondary ignition wires or coils
- Any solenoids
- Any relays
- Any motors
A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore may cause this DTC to set at idle or during deceleration. Inspect for any vacuum leaks downstream of the MAF sensor.
A wide open throttle (WOT) acceleration from a stop should cause the MAF sensor g/s display on the scan tool to increase rapidly. This increase should be from 6-12 g/s at idle to 230 g/s or more at the time of the 1-2 shift. If the increase is not observed, inspect for a restriction in the induction system or the exhaust system.
The barometric pressure (BARO) that is used in order to calculate the predicted MAF value is initially based on the MAP sensor at key ON.
When the engine is running the MAP sensor value is continually updated near WOT. A skewed MAP sensor will cause the calculated MAF value to be inaccurate. The value shown for the MAP sensor display varies with the altitude. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, 103 kPa is the approximate value near sea level. This value will decrease by approximately 3 kPa for every 305 meters (1,000 feet) of altitude.
A high resistance on the ground circuit of the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set.
Any loss of vacuum to the MAP sensor can cause this DTC to set.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have that P0101 code too. So far I haven't found a solution
Old 02-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
Rompin Around

I had them clear the code, I will see if it comes back.

Hopefully it wont.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Let's say the MAF sensor is bad.
How much would a new one cost or would the URD calibrator fix it?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
Newbie here
GT_Taco will become famous soon enough

GT_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to GT_Taco Send a message via Yahoo to GT_Taco
If the sensor is indeed faulty, recalibrating the response to it wouldn't do you much good. You'd have to replace the sensor or the related circuit. No idea what that would run ya though..
Old 02-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #18
Rompin Around

I'm curious what would make it go bad? I have 5k on my truck and I was very careful when installing the intake this morning.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #19
tussery has a spectacular aura abouttussery has a spectacular aura about
tussery's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tussery
Try cleaning the MAF sensor with rubbing alcohol before you replace it. It may have gotten filter oil on it which will cause it to throw a code.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #20
Rompin Around

Well after having the CEL cleared I drove 125 miles and the CEL hasn't came back. So hopefully thats it.