Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Underdog Racing Development CAI

Old 02-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeardedWeirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Underdog Racing Development CAI

I was looking at this CAI after reading about it in another thread. This "true CAI" puts the filter right inside the grill opening. I can see it being an ideal location for pulling colder air...BUT isn't that the worst possible location to avoid getting the filter wet? Well, I guess the worst location would be hanging out of the bottom of the engine bay. I noticed on their page that they offer HydroShield pre-filters which are "water proof" but not water resistant. They also offer a half metal shield that doesn't look like it offers much in the way of protection.

Does anyone have this CAI installed? If so, which "water proofing" method and grille do you have? How does it perform in the rain and/or off-road where it might get splashed?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Junior Mint
BeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeardedWeirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh yeah...the link for anyone who hasn't seen this CAI yet.

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518504
Old 02-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Junior Mint

I still wouldn't imagine that it would hold up very well in a heavy rain either. I'm really just curious about the design of it and if it works.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
It does seem a little shaddy on water protection.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't rain too much here in southern California or other arid states
Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
If there were any issues with it, you would have the reviews saying stuff about it and the people that run them on here would have let you know. Regardless, it does have a very reasonable price.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking into this same CAI, so i just emailed the person to underdog racing, haven't heard back yet, but i'm curious about this too. My thought is that any little water that is able to seep through the filter is so fine that the air flowing thru should dry up. especially if you not how long the induction tube is. I wouldn't think it would be a problem since there are so many that have it. i would for sure get that half shield protector though.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
you could always get one of those filter skins for it. The ones that help keep out dirty and water.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
Junior Mint

I've never had a CAI that was in a similar location. However, some of my import friends have horror stories about driving in the rain. It's usually that they were out while it was raining or right afterwards and a car or truck splashes water into their grille (or the location where the CAI filter is). When it gets wet, they had to park the vehicle and wait until it dries out before driving it again. I just figured that with a giant grille opening and most people running mesh grilles, that wouldn't be a good location for it. But if it works without problems, then that is pretty slick!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
those prefilter skin things actually work, i got one as an airbox cover on my bike and the water will sit right on top of it while the inside of the air box stays dry
Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitroc View Post
those prefilter skin things actually work, i got one as an airbox cover on my bike and the water will sit right on top of it while the inside of the air box stays dry
I plan on getting a TRD CAI and using a skin when I get in the mud and water. I've had problems with my stock setup.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
thekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thekidcatcher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedWeirdo View Post
I've never had a CAI that was in a similar location. However, some of my import friends have horror stories about driving in the rain. It's usually that they were out while it was raining or right afterwards and a car or truck splashes water into their grille (or the location where the CAI filter is). When it gets wet, they had to park the vehicle and wait until it dries out before driving it again. I just figured that with a giant grille opening and most people running mesh grilles, that wouldn't be a good location for it. But if it works without problems, then that is pretty slick!
Carry and extra filter...