1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scan Gauge read out?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by roxspin72, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Apr 8, 2008 at 2:44 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 [OP] Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Couple questions:

LOD : What actactly is this telling me... I'm thinking it's saying % of Horse power in use, is this true?

TPS : Mine idles at 14, is this %, and is this normal? Has anyone gotten a 100% reading when they fully floor it?

and Last:

*FIA: What are you all getting for Temps, and with what intake?

I am averaging 78-85deg. with my true fllow at cruising speeds.

90 deg. if idle for a while. This was all during a 68 deg afternoon.

Figured the best way to know whats good or bad, is to know the norm...

Thanks.

2. Apr 8, 2008 at 4:59 PM
    boks

boks From Michigan!!

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2020 4WD TRD-Offroad Double Cab
    Rhino RTS ditch mount roof rack tracks Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover Yakima tracks on Bed rails LED Interior Light upgrade Former Vehicle: 2007 4WD TRD-Offroad Double Cab
    LOD? Good question which I posted on another thread. It's suppose to be percentage of load but I'm not sure what that means and how that relates to HP. I've broken 90 a few times while accelerating uphill even though I wasn't hauling anything or flooring it.

TPS? Mine idles around 13-14 also. I've never hit 100 though but might have to try it. I actually use it to keep my mpg up. I figure if I don't go above 25, which can be hard, I'm conserving gas.

Haven't messed with FIA yet.

Isn't the Scangauge fun? I love more info that I know what to do with.

Boks

3. Apr 9, 2008 at 2:46 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    LOD is the % of maximum engine power you are currently using at the RPM reading you're currently at. Think of HP and TQ availability at that RPM point and how much of that power you are using. The ECM reads air volume in, exhaust temps, thottle positioning, and other sensors to determine the load and how to optimize the tuning of the engine to reduce the load without sacrificing the power needed.

That's my 30,000 foot view and I'm sticking to it. ;)

BTW, it would be very cool to track and record FIA and TPS from different engine modded configurations to see if a CAI really is a CAI. lol! Where mine is still original as sin, I can contribute ti the FIA reading ar both highway and city driving speeds. Also we can measure for outside temp ranges. My morning commutes are still in the 20s, and today the ride home will be in the 60s. I'd love to chart CAI vs. stock readings to see how much os a difference different ones make. Ya, purely unscientific as it's not perfectly controlled, but it sure might be an interesting read at the end.

Am I nutz? Maybe you might not answer that right off. heh...

4. Apr 9, 2008 at 5:15 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I think MurphMan is exactly right on his LOD description.

14 TPS is exactly what my reading is once the engine is warmed up.

When my right foot is anywhere near 100% throttle I'm looking at much more important things than my scangauge :p

When I've watched the FAI it usually ends up about 10-15 degrees above the ambient temperature.

5. Apr 9, 2008 at 6:17 AM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Thanks all,

Just figured in order to get your positive or neg results, you need a control.

As for TPS, LOL, yeah dont worry I got eyes on. But heard some comments about electric TB, and wondering if you actually are WO or not.

So hopefully this thread will be a good way for us to get the best bang for the buck out of our SC II.

Later's...:cool:

6. Apr 9, 2008 at 1:02 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    60 MPH @ 2000 RPM, 65 deg. ambient air. My *FIA reads 73 deg. Not bad, guess my XDI is keeping engine heat out of the intake air flow...

7. Apr 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Oh, one more thing...

My TPS is 80 at full trottle. Anyone get this reading, or is my throttle off. If so, can it be adjusted...

8. Apr 9, 2008 at 1:22 PM
    boks

boks From Michigan!!

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2020 4WD TRD-Offroad Double Cab
    Rhino RTS ditch mount roof rack tracks Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover Yakima tracks on Bed rails LED Interior Light upgrade Former Vehicle: 2007 4WD TRD-Offroad Double Cab
    I've broken into the low 90's so 80 shouldn't be full throttle. Did you go through and adjust all the engine settings?

As for my FIA, which I was checking out the last couple days... It's about 5-10 degrees above the outside temp. If goes up and down a bit when stopped vs. moving but pretty much stays within the 5-10 above ambient temp.

Boks

9. Apr 9, 2008 at 2:07 PM
    TACOROCK

TACOROCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    FAYETTEVILLE NC
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA LIFTED
    URD SUPERCHARGER 80MM PULLEY, DOUG THORLEY LONG TUBE HEADERS, MODIFIED Y-PIPE, TRUE DUAL EXHAUST MAGNAFLOW 2 IN 2 OUT, PRO COMP 6" LIFT, WIDEBAND 02/FUEL SENSOR, AVIC D3, 2 PIONEER SUBS ON A MEMPHIS 1200 WATT AMP RMS, DIY MOD FOR ALL INTERIOR SPEAKERS FULL TINT, LEER CAMPER, EURO LIGHTS, BILLET GRILL, BULL BAR WESTIN RUNNING BARS, AIR HORN, AND A RADIATOR POPPER
    im getting 99% on tps
    urd supercharger

10. Apr 9, 2008 at 2:11 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Should'nt the TPS be the same on all vehicles regardless of MOD's.

I think I need to find a way to reposition. This means at full throttle I have 20% resistance... Not good.

11. Apr 9, 2008 at 3:57 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Interesting, but with my stock setup I'm seeing swings of 10 to 15 degrees with in town stop&go driving and 10 or less while cruising the back roads and highway. The differences didn't vary much from 25mph up to 70mph with the outside air temp at 30 this morning and 60 tonight. At least this does show the stock setup does help keep the air intake temps managed, now it's all about flow.

12. Apr 9, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Didn't watch it go higher than 90% on the TPS (too busy looking at the bumper in front of me), but at idle I am reading 14%.

Products Discussed in

To Top