Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Scan Gauge read out?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Question Scan Gauge read out?

Couple questions:

LOD : What actactly is this telling me... I'm thinking it's saying % of Horse power in use, is this true?

TPS : Mine idles at 14, is this %, and is this normal? Has anyone gotten a 100% reading when they fully floor it?

and Last:

*FIA: What are you all getting for Temps, and with what intake?

I am averaging 78-85deg. with my true fllow at cruising speeds.

90 deg. if idle for a while. This was all during a 68 deg afternoon.

Figured the best way to know whats good or bad, is to know the norm...

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
From Michigan!!
boks will become famous soon enough
boks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Couple questions:

LOD : What actactly is this telling me... I'm thinking it's saying % of Horse power in use, is this true?

TPS : Mine idles at 14, is this %, and is this normal? Has anyone gotten a 100% reading when they fully floor it?

and Last:

Thanks.
LOD? Good question which I posted on another thread. It's suppose to be percentage of load but I'm not sure what that means and how that relates to HP. I've broken 90 a few times while accelerating uphill even though I wasn't hauling anything or flooring it.

TPS? Mine idles around 13-14 also. I've never hit 100 though but might have to try it. I actually use it to keep my mpg up. I figure if I don't go above 25, which can be hard, I'm conserving gas.

Haven't messed with FIA yet.

Isn't the Scangauge fun? I love more info that I know what to do with.

Boks
Old 04-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #3
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
LOD is the % of maximum engine power you are currently using at the RPM reading you're currently at. Think of HP and TQ availability at that RPM point and how much of that power you are using. The ECM reads air volume in, exhaust temps, thottle positioning, and other sensors to determine the load and how to optimize the tuning of the engine to reduce the load without sacrificing the power needed.

That's my 30,000 foot view and I'm sticking to it.

BTW, it would be very cool to track and record FIA and TPS from different engine modded configurations to see if a CAI really is a CAI. lol! Where mine is still original as sin, I can contribute ti the FIA reading ar both highway and city driving speeds. Also we can measure for outside temp ranges. My morning commutes are still in the 20s, and today the ride home will be in the 60s. I'd love to chart CAI vs. stock readings to see how much os a difference different ones make. Ya, purely unscientific as it's not perfectly controlled, but it sure might be an interesting read at the end.

Am I nutz? Maybe you might not answer that right off. heh...

Quote:
Couple questions:

and Last:

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I think MurphMan is exactly right on his LOD description.

14 TPS is exactly what my reading is once the engine is warmed up.

When my right foot is anywhere near 100% throttle I'm looking at much more important things than my scangauge

When I've watched the FAI it usually ends up about 10-15 degrees above the ambient temperature.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:17 AM   #5
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks all,

Just figured in order to get your positive or neg results, you need a control.

As for TPS, LOL, yeah dont worry I got eyes on. But heard some comments about electric TB, and wondering if you actually are WO or not.

So hopefully this thread will be a good way for us to get the best bang for the buck out of our SC II.

Later's...
Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post
LOD is the % of maximum engine power you are currently using at the RPM reading you're currently at. Think of HP and TQ availability at that RPM point and how much of that power you are using. The ECM reads air volume in, exhaust temps, thottle positioning, and other sensors to determine the load and how to optimize the tuning of the engine to reduce the load without sacrificing the power needed.

That's my 30,000 foot view and I'm sticking to it.

BTW, it would be very cool to track and record FIA and TPS from different engine modded configurations to see if a CAI really is a CAI. lol! Where mine is still original as sin, I can contribute ti the FIA reading ar both highway and city driving speeds. Also we can measure for outside temp ranges. My morning commutes are still in the 20s, and today the ride home will be in the 60s. I'd love to chart CAI vs. stock readings to see how much os a difference different ones make. Ya, purely unscientific as it's not perfectly controlled, but it sure might be an interesting read at the end.

Am I nutz? Maybe you might not answer that right off. heh...
60 MPH @ 2000 RPM, 65 deg. ambient air. My *FIA reads 73 deg. Not bad, guess my XDI is keeping engine heat out of the intake air flow...
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Enjoying my addiction

Question

Oh, one more thing...

My TPS is 80 at full trottle. Anyone get this reading, or is my throttle off. If so, can it be adjusted...
Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
From Michigan!!
boks will become famous soon enough
boks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh, one more thing...

My TPS is 80 at full trottle. Anyone get this reading, or is my throttle off. If so, can it be adjusted...
I've broken into the low 90's so 80 shouldn't be full throttle. Did you go through and adjust all the engine settings?

As for my FIA, which I was checking out the last couple days... It's about 5-10 degrees above the outside temp. If goes up and down a bit when stopped vs. moving but pretty much stays within the 5-10 above ambient temp.

Boks
Old 04-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
Enjoying my addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by boks View Post
I've broken into the low 90's so 80 shouldn't be full throttle. Did you go through and adjust all the engine settings?

As for my FIA, which I was checking out the last couple days... It's about 5-10 degrees above the outside temp. If goes up and down a bit when stopped vs. moving but pretty much stays within the 5-10 above ambient temp.

Boks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOROCK View Post
im getting 99% on tps
urd supercharger
Should'nt the TPS be the same on all vehicles regardless of MOD's.

I think I need to find a way to reposition. This means at full throttle I have 20% resistance... Not good.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Interesting, but with my stock setup I'm seeing swings of 10 to 15 degrees with in town stop&go driving and 10 or less while cruising the back roads and highway. The differences didn't vary much from 25mph up to 70mph with the outside air temp at 30 this morning and 60 tonight. At least this does show the stock setup does help keep the air intake temps managed, now it's all about flow.

Quote:
60 MPH @ 2000 RPM, 65 deg. ambient air. My *FIA reads 73 deg. Not bad, guess my XDI is keeping engine heat out of the intake air flow...
Old 04-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Senility Rocks!

Didn't watch it go higher than 90% on the TPS (too busy looking at the bumper in front of me), but at idle I am reading 14%.

Quote:
Thanks all,

Just figured in order to get your positive or neg results, you need a control.

As for TPS, LOL, yeah dont worry I got eyes on. But heard some comments about electric TB, and wondering if you actually are WO or not.

So hopefully this thread will be a good way for us to get the best bang for the buck out of our SC II.

Later's...