Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Unichip!!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
TRDGoatFarmer will become famous soon enoughTRDGoatFarmer will become famous soon enough
TRDGoatFarmer's Tacoma Gallery
Unichip!!!!

Alright, I've read through i dont know HOW MANY post's, threads, etc on chip's for the 4.0 Tacoma.. Now.. I have THREE questions. That I would like a straight answer, no bull shit, no "this has been posted already". Because frankly what use is a forum, If newb's cant ask questions with out having there head taken off??

Now..

1.) Will this give me a power increase that i WILL be able to feel?
2.) Will this cause any harm to the ECU, or any other mechanical failure?
3.) The only thing around here that has "chips,boxes or tuners" are diesel trucks. And lets say a 2005 Ram 2500 5.9 24v Cummins, has a Edge Box on it.. There are certain stages like, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. 1( for best fuel,7 for performance) Is this box like the one for diesel? that you can choose the setting you want?

Keep in mind, I am ALL stock right now, and the only thing I want to do is get a flowmaster muffler, and maybe a CAI. I cant, and wont ever be able to afford a S/C or turbo kit. So i just want some play power.

now, Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Short and simple: Get the URD MAF Cal instead

If you are just planning a muffler and a CAI, then then uni-chip is going to be overkill for you. You'd be better off getting the URD Maf Cal to dial in the tune.

Longer Version: The Unichip will be able to give you a full custom tune (spark and fuel), that will give you noticeable gains. but you will have to find a shop to do the custom tuning. Not any shop will do it either. It has to be a Unichip authorized tuner, and they charge up to $300 per session. Every new mod will require a new tune. Without addressing the exhaust, you can't do a lot with the spark timing, so you'd be more focused on the AFR which the URD MAF Cal handles very well.

Now if you are interested in upping the performance, but don't want to go the boosted route, the APR X-1 is the best bang for you buck. I could go on for days with all the features of the X-1, but in short its self-tuning* and will net the most gains when compared to any other tuner, or any other mod (minus boost or nitrous). While the X-1 isn't as costly as boost, its not quiet pocket change for most people (about $1300).
Old 02-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
TRDGoatFarmer will become famous soon enoughTRDGoatFarmer will become famous soon enough
TRDGoatFarmer's Tacoma Gallery
Alright.. thank's man.. I think what Im going to do is just get some header's with an exhaust, a CAI and nice rims and tires and call it a day! ha
Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDGoatFarmer View Post
Alright.. thank's man.. I think what Im going to do is just get some header's with an exhaust, a CAI and nice rims and tires and call it a day! ha
there ya go.. keep it simple.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Get a good air filter! you dont need to waste money on a cold air intake. get some doug thorley long tube headers and a dynomax super turbo muffler welded onto your stock exhaust. that'll give you the best bang for your buck!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
white09taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Trevor
white09taco's Tacoma Gallery
when you buy this product do you have to take it to the shop to get it tuned to my current k&n cai and flowmaster exhaust?