1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0420/p0430

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by KwanX, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:04 AM
    KwanX

KwanX [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RB
    TPA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toy Taco
    6" lift n 31's
    Morning - been reading all the threads on this for the past few hours.

2006/V6/50K miles. Codes scanned at Autozone, took codes to dealer, they said replace pass/front O2 sensor. Ordered one, changed. Code still there.

-I did not do the neg batt cable off to reset yet, but will do today and see what comes up (or hopefully doesnt come up).

Are all 4 sensors the "same part" or do the front/rear sensors differ?

I feel silly for asking, but what is the best way to check for exhaust leaks?

Muchos Gracias.

2. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    I believe the sensors before the cat are different than those after the cat. You can usually find a better deal shopping on line than you can from the stealership. I replaced the ones on my 2000, buying them online at about 30%-40% of what the dealer would charge for the part. Changing them out is not a big deal.

3. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  4. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    el contrador

el contrador Member

Member:
    First Name:
    André
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    03, Tacoma double cab 4wd
    Original a to z
    Hi!!

I've been reading A LOT on this P0420 problem and found out a few good thing you might like to know!!!

I lot of people have the same problem that we do, some changed everything related to emission system. Cats, o2 sensors, MAF, MAP, Temperature Sensor and still had the light coming on!!

On thing that not a lot a people think of checking is the Ethanol rating in the gasoline they use!! Toyota tacoma are set to use Gas with less then 10% ethanol... So what i did is I empty my tank and filled it back with ethanol Free Gasoline, unplug the battery to erase the codes and Guess what, no more light...

The problem with ethanol is that it doesn't burn like regular gas at all and our O2 sensors do not reconised the exhaust gas so your check engine light turn on!!!

I was using Gasoline that had 12% Ethanol and didn't know it!!

Try that and let me know what happens

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top