Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Straight up... cheap easy way to gain decent horsepower

Old 03-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
tac1uscg is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: USCG academy student
tac1uscg's Tacoma Gallery
Straight up... cheap easy way to gain decent horsepower

CAI...Exhaust...headers.... what is the best way?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Horsepower is just a question of money. How fast do you want to go?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
$$$=horsepower! effin sucks!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
quackhead03 is on a distinguished road

Name: cody
quackhead03's Tacoma Gallery
throttle body spacers
Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackhead03 View Post
throttle body spacers
lol
Old 06-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
YeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Honor Guard-Now out of Honor Guard getting ready for MK "A" School
Name: Thomas
YeahYeah's Tacoma Gallery
hey, just curious not relating to the post but tac1... coast guard right? where you stationed?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Like someone above said, "wud ya wanna spend"?

I've summarized the performance upgrades that I am aware of as follows:

Notes:
o I have not pulled the trigger on any of these as yet, playing with an air intake mod, swapped in an electric fan, but that's it
o data is from research I've done, and what I've seen others have done, summary is my own, opinions and order is my own
o some combinations of mods make sense, others don't, I'm not even going to attempt that list
o multiple mods are rarely totally cummulative, i.e., CAI+CB+MAF does not equal +15hp ***

Group 1 ($250-400 each):
o Aftermarket CAI - 3-5 hp at top end, gain/loss is intake "growl/noise" depending on your stand
o Cat-back exhaust - 3-5 hp at top end, gain/loss is exhaust note, hard to gauge what sounds good to you personally, may be too loud/droney, or too quiet
o URD MAF Calibrator - 5 hp +/- - I'm least up on the gains for this one, you'll need to do more research

Group 2 ($500 +/- each)
o Headers - 15-20 hp - LT or shorties, decision depends on where you want the power (high-rpm or low rpm) and how much to spend, LTs require O2 sims, shorties require the cats to be welded on
o Y-pipe - 10 hp ?? - I'm least up-to-speed on the true gains here, need to watch out for an annoying rasp if using the Y-pipe and LTs

Group 3 ($1300, not supported on 09+ yet)
o APR X-1 - 20-25hp - complete control over ECU maps, includes exhaust cam gear upgrade, should equate to more power across the rpm band due to tunability

Group 4 ($3500-5000 depending on who installs)
o TRD/URD supercharger - 50-60 hp or so - it's an SC, power should come on from off-idle to redline

Group 0.5 (forgot it earlier... $50-100 each)
o drop-in air filter (i.e., AFE Pro-Dry) - ?? hp, probably somewhere between 0-1 :-)
o cut in a muffler - 2-3 hp (or -hp depending on muffler), get the CB sound at significantly less cost

Personally, if I were to pull the trigger right now I would do some combination of Group 2 and 3 depending on funding levels. I don't see the benefit of Group 1, and don't particularly want to invest to the Group 4 level.