Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

What Cold Air Intake Should I Get???

Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Fillipe17 is on a distinguished road

Name: Fillipe
Fillipe17's Tacoma Gallery
What Cold Air Intake Should I Get???

i know that everybody has opinions on who makes the "best" intakes. But does anybody have some numbers to help me choose a cold air intake for my 07 prerunner? im mostly looking for improved gas mileage but the extra horsepower is also nice
Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
commander101
jason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant future

Army: 2-16in/ 2-3in
jason1kyle's Tacoma Gallery
i have a k&n and i havent really noticed any horespower gain or any mpg gain altho throttle responce does seem better i've read alot of threads on here sayign that you loose horeses and mpg's from cai but some that say u gain so i'm not really sure my guess would be to go with trd
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
i don't think CAI really help at all, they just make cool noises
Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have a TRD CAI and I love it!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I have a TRD CAI and I love it!!!
x2
Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Legend of the UG
Kappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 307th Expeditionary Sig BN
Name: Mike
Kappes03's Tacoma Gallery
If you want performance, get the AFE Pro Dry filter, CAI's don't add any gains, just sounds cool.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
if you really want a CAI id say for your application the TRD CAI would be best. ive heard bad things about the K&N's leaving high silicone (or some kinda chemical from the filter/filter oil) levels in the engine oil that can cause harm.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #8

looks like the trd is gonna be first choice. What improvements in mpg have yal seen and whats a good price for one?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappes03 View Post
If you want performance, get the AFE Pro Dry filter, CAI's don't add any gains, just sounds cool.
what improvements have you seen from your pro dry filter
Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
I had a k&n liked it for a minute but switched it out and got the TRD CAI and I love it way more so I say go with the trd
Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
commander101
jason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant futurejason1kyle has a brilliant future

yeah i wanna switch my k$n out for a trdcai see how much better that works for me
Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
They really just sound cool. There might be a HP gain, but it will be in a RPM range that will rarely get used. To top it off, you will lose HP in the lower RPM range. I had one, and sold it. I now own a aFe Pro Dry drop in. It is oil-free which is a plus, just wash dry and go.

Our intake is a CAI. It is our restrictive airbox that (a) quiet the noise and (b) tuned to provide HP where most drivers need it. Not too mention, that our ECU's will mix the fuel and air automatically. It keeps it at a constant ratio. If you are going to increase air, you are going to get more fuel which will actually go un-burned. You would need to re-tune your truck to change that air/fuel ratio to something more useful to our engines. A lot of work if you asl me. I say either get a drop in or leave stock and invest in a DynaFlow muffler. Weld it on either by you or a shop. Save some cash.

Really, they do sound cool. So cool, that you will be stomping on the gas just to hear it. Bad for the MPG.

If you insist, go TRD. Get it from the ebay seller that has been mentioned many times on here (I forget his name). Good seller and great price.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb11701 View Post
They really just sound cool. There might be a HP gain, but it will be in a RPM range that will rarely get used. To top it off, you will lose HP in the lower RPM range. I had one, and sold it. I now own a aFe Pro Dry drop in. It is oil-free which is a plus, just wash dry and go.
Please elaborate on why you think a CAI will only provide gains in select areas?? You are making this way more complicated then it really is.

Any loss/gain in HP is going to be due to MAF accuracy, and the ECUs fuel adaptives. It will be constant through the full RPM range. Aftermarket intakes usually provide more power up top as that is when there is more volume, and your making it is easier for the motor to inhale.

Where you would see RPM dependent changes would be if you did modifications post-throttle body

Quote:
Our intake is a CAI. It is our restrictive airbox that (a) quiet the noise and (b) tuned to provide HP where most drivers need it.
The stock intake is VERY restrictive to A. quiet the intake sound, and B. to meet emissions. It wasn't tuned for any horsepower. A CAI isn't ever 'tuned' for power. It is nothing more then a means to clean the air entering the motor, and to tell the ECU how much air is coming in.

Quote:
Not too mention, that our ECU's will mix the fuel and air automatically. It keeps it at a constant ratio. If you are going to increase air, you are going to get more fuel which will actually go un-burned. You would need to re-tune your truck to change that air/fuel ratio to something more useful to our engines.
Regardless of what intake you are running, the ECU has a set map for the AFR. For cruising its going to try to hold a 14.65:1 AFR. Your only going to move as much air as your right foot says.

It doesn't keep a constant ratio, it has a dynamic fuel map and a dynamic spark map that it reads from depending on TPS, engine load, IAT, plus many other variables.

You won't have more "unburned" fuel.

A re-tune isn't necessary. Resetting the ECU to relearn its map, would help, but not required.

Quote:
A lot of work if you asl me. I say either get a drop in or leave stock and invest in a DynaFlow muffler. Weld it on either by you or a shop. Save some cash.
Well you seem to be making work for yourself, as nothing more then an install is ever needed. If you disconnect the batter before the install, install the CAI, then reconnect the batter, all is done.

Quote:
Really, they do sound cool. So cool, that you will be stomping on the gas just to hear it. Bad for the MPG.
This is true. MPG is going to be more dependent on the driver rather then the mods.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
Cobhc is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
Cobhc's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely get the TRD. They are soon to be obsolete because they stopped making them. I just ordered mine from this site... and for the best price I found online....

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillipe17 View Post
looks like the trd is gonna be first choice. What improvements in mpg have yal seen and whats a good price for one?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
commander101

[quote=Cobhc;1525797]Definitely get the TRD. They are soon to be obsolete because they stopped making them. I just ordered mine from this site... and for the best price I found online....

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...338[/quote]

u can normally find them on ebay cheaper than that i've found a few around 350$ on ebay
Old 03-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
adamundsabrina is on a distinguished road
Army: Platoon Sergeant, CAV
adamundsabrina's Tacoma Gallery
part number for afe filter

I found the Afe pro dry s filter on amazon for 58 bucks plus free shipping. The auto anything site has it for 68 bucks plus free shipping. Now, I put the air filter in the cart on the autoanything site and it gave a part number of 31-10114. When I punched it in on amazon site it was available but stated it wasn't for my 2009 4.0. So, can someone send me the part number? Plus being 10 bucks cheaper, I just want to make sure I get the right one.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #18
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
I was under the impression the TRD was a rebadged AFE Stage 2Si; except the AFE has an additional scoop opening in the front of the box and possibly a slightly bigger fender opening.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbolt View Post
I was under the impression the TRD was a rebadged AFE Stage 2Si; except the AFE has an additional scoop opening in the front of the box and possibly a slightly bigger fender opening.
The original TRD intake was the aFe Stage 2 Si, only re-badged.

The new TRD intake is made by AEM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
Rizzz818 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jose
Rizzz818's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Rizzz818
Intake

Check this one out

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...-cai-sale.html