1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Cold Air Intake Should I Get???

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Fillipe17, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    Fillipe17

Fillipe17 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fillipe
    Houston area
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    3 inch leveling kit, 17 inch xd 795 black wheels, 265 70 17 falken ziex tires, kenwood faceplate,6.5" focal component door speakers, 2 jl audio 8's powered by alpine pdx 5 channel amp
    i know that everybody has opinions on who makes the "best" intakes. But does anybody have some numbers to help me choose a cold air intake for my 07 prerunner? im mostly looking for improved gas mileage but the extra horsepower is also nice :)

2. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    jason1kyle

jason1kyle commander101

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    77 series k&n 1inch throttle body spacer dual in single out catback exhaust (exhaust pros)
    i have a k&n and i havent really noticed any horespower gain or any mpg gain altho throttle responce does seem better i've read alot of threads on here sayign that you loose horeses and mpg's from cai but some that say u gain so i'm not really sure my guess would be to go with trd

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    i don't think CAI really help at all, they just make cool noises

4. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I have a TRD CAI and I love it!!!:D

5. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    x2:)

6. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    Kappes03

Kappes03 Legend of the UG

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Hilux Surf
    If you want performance, get the AFE Pro Dry filter, CAI's don't add any gains, just sounds cool.

7. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    if you really want a CAI id say for your application the TRD CAI would be best. ive heard bad things about the K&N's leaving high silicone (or some kinda chemical from the filter/filter oil) levels in the engine oil that can cause harm.

8. Mar 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Fillipe17

Member:
    First Name:
    Fillipe
    Houston area
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    3 inch leveling kit, 17 inch xd 795 black wheels, 265 70 17 falken ziex tires, kenwood faceplate,6.5" focal component door speakers, 2 jl audio 8's powered by alpine pdx 5 channel amp
    looks like the trd is gonna be first choice. What improvements in mpg have yal seen and whats a good price for one?

9. Mar 8, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    Fillipe17

Member:
    First Name:
    Fillipe
    Houston area
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    what improvements have you seen from your pro dry filter

10. Mar 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
    I had a k&n liked it for a minute but switched it out and got the TRD CAI and I love it way more so I say go with the trd

11. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    jason1kyle

jason1kyle commander101

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    77 series k&n 1inch throttle body spacer dual in single out catback exhaust (exhaust pros)
    yeah i wanna switch my k$n out for a trdcai see how much better that works for me

12. Mar 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    They really just sound cool. There might be a HP gain, but it will be in a RPM range that will rarely get used. To top it off, you will lose HP in the lower RPM range. I had one, and sold it. I now own a aFe Pro Dry drop in. It is oil-free which is a plus, just wash dry and go.

Our intake is a CAI. It is our restrictive airbox that (a) quiet the noise and (b) tuned to provide HP where most drivers need it. Not too mention, that our ECU's will mix the fuel and air automatically. It keeps it at a constant ratio. If you are going to increase air, you are going to get more fuel which will actually go un-burned. You would need to re-tune your truck to change that air/fuel ratio to something more useful to our engines. A lot of work if you asl me. I say either get a drop in or leave stock and invest in a DynaFlow muffler. Weld it on either by you or a shop. Save some cash.

Really, they do sound cool. So cool, that you will be stomping on the gas just to hear it. Bad for the MPG.

If you insist, go TRD. Get it from the ebay seller that has been mentioned many times on here (I forget his name). Good seller and great price.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Mar 8, 2010 at 11:55 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    Please elaborate on why you think a CAI will only provide gains in select areas?? You are making this way more complicated then it really is.

Any loss/gain in HP is going to be due to MAF accuracy, and the ECUs fuel adaptives. It will be constant through the full RPM range. Aftermarket intakes usually provide more power up top as that is when there is more volume, and your making it is easier for the motor to inhale.

Where you would see RPM dependent changes would be if you did modifications post-throttle body

The stock intake is VERY restrictive to A. quiet the intake sound, and B. to meet emissions. It wasn't tuned for any horsepower. A CAI isn't ever 'tuned' for power. It is nothing more then a means to clean the air entering the motor, and to tell the ECU how much air is coming in.

Regardless of what intake you are running, the ECU has a set map for the AFR. For cruising its going to try to hold a 14.65:1 AFR. Your only going to move as much air as your right foot says.

It doesn't keep a constant ratio, it has a dynamic fuel map and a dynamic spark map that it reads from depending on TPS, engine load, IAT, plus many other variables.

You won't have more "unburned" fuel.

A re-tune isn't necessary. Resetting the ECU to relearn its map, would help, but not required.

Well you seem to be making work for yourself, as nothing more then an install is ever needed. If you disconnect the batter before the install, install the CAI, then reconnect the batter, all is done.

This is true. MPG is going to be more dependent on the driver rather then the mods.

14. Mar 9, 2010 at 12:01 AM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Get the AFE, simple.

15. Mar 10, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    Cobhc

Cobhc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    California
    Interior: Ecometer, Pioneer Avic F-900BT. Under The Hood: TRD Cold Air Intake, Painted Engine Cover. Exterior: Heavy Tints, OEM Roof Rack, Painted Wheels, Dual Exhaust Flowmaster 50 Series, Tail Light Guards, Avid LightBar with KC 775 Lights, BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover, AMP Research Bed Xtender HD, OEM Bed Mat, GoRhino Hitch Step, Vent Visors, Blacked Out Emblems, 3" Carbon Fiber Antenna...
    Definitely get the TRD. They are soon to be obsolete because they stopped making them. I just ordered mine from this site... and for the best price I found online....

http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=610&Part_cat=2&parts_id=1338

16. Mar 11, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    jason1kyle

jason1kyle commander101

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Mar 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    adamundsabrina

adamundsabrina Member

Member:
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner
    I found the Afe pro dry s filter on Amazon for 58 bucks plus free shipping. The auto anything site has it for 68 bucks plus free shipping. Now, I put the air filter in the cart on the autoanything site and it gave a part number of 31-10114. When I punched it in on amazon site it was available but stated it wasn't for my 2009 4.0. So, can someone send me the part number? Plus being 10 bucks cheaper, I just want to make sure I get the right one.

18. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    I was under the impression the TRD was a rebadged AFE Stage 2Si; except the AFE has an additional scoop opening in the front of the box and possibly a slightly bigger fender opening.

19. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    The original TRD intake was the aFe Stage 2 Si, only re-badged.

The new TRD intake is made by AEM.

20. Mar 17, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    Rizzz818

Rizzz818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Sylmar
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    BHLM, Black Emblems, Black Grill,3-Inch spacers from Toytec, JBA Exhaust,

Products Discussed in