Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2005 taco vs. 2007 taco

Old 04-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
I'm a TW addict!
BIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to behold

Name: Luke
BIGLuke's Tacoma Gallery
2005 taco vs. 2007 taco

question for all of you i have a 2007 taco but i was reseching online and stumbled across a website that tells you the hp and torque for any car. now for some reason on the 05 the hp is 245 and torque is 282 now on the 07 the hp is 236 and torque is 266 does anyone know what the difference is between the two and is so what can i do to get my 07 up to that "standard"
all responses greatly apreciated
Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
The difference is that the 05 was rated using 93 octane gas and the 07 was rated using 87 octane. The change was required because 87 is a recommended fuel. You can have the 05 performance in the 07 by using the higher octane fuel.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
toycoma671 is on a distinguished road

Navy: COMM SOL Managment
toycoma671's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
The difference is that the 05 was rated using 93 octane gas and the 07 was rated using 87 octane. The change was required because 87 is a recommended fuel. You can have the 05 performance in the 07 by using the higher octane fuel.
Wow! is that really true! I mean just on the Gas alone you get all that performance? Come on, I mean if the CAI and Exhaust parts can barely give us HP then shoot why spend all the money on these parts when all we have to do is change GAS! where did you get this info????
Old 04-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
An engine has to be designed or tuned to take advantage of higher octane gas. The V6 Tacoma's compression is almost high enough to require premium fuel (If you have the supercharger it IS required) and takes full advantage of the higher octane. When you run regular gas in it the engine compensates for the lower octane fuel to avoid detonation at the cost of less horsepower and torque. If you put premium fuel into the lower compression 2.7L engine (Or any other engine not designed for high octane fuel) you'd just be throwing your money away.

In effect the premium fuel doesn't give a performance boost it's really more of the regular fuel hobbling the engine in the name of saving a few dollars a tank.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
I'm a TW addict!
BIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to beholdBIGLuke is a splendid one to behold

Name: Luke
BIGLuke's Tacoma Gallery
ok so what you are saying is that the 4.0 has high enough compression to require higher octane fuel, and if i was to use higher octane fuel i would be getting 245 hp and 282 torqe. but since am using regular low octane fuel my hp and torque is lower. i mean to be honest with you that kinda seems wack. anyway so there is no difference in the 4.0 in the 05 and the 4.0 in the 07 engine wise or performace wise. all it is, is the gas that is being used.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
from what i understood, it was the way they tested...not sure if it was b/c of the fuel
Old 04-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
pumo420 is on a distinguished road

pumo420's Tacoma Gallery
thats pretty sweet i normally only use 93 octane on my taco. i heard that the difference was due to how horse power was measured. and there is new regulations for it you know.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
This isn't because of the fuel.

SAE testing standards came into place sometime after 2005. Many manufacturer's were not testing to the SAE standard, and when the SAE became the standard for measureing HP and TQ, many manufacturer's numbers went down slightly.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
To add to what Klown said, The "old" way of testing required that all major accesories to be on the engine when getting dyno rated. NOW, Not only do the accesories need to be on the engine, but the engine has to be breathing thru a factory air box, with filter, and full factory exuast. In other words, its tested just as it would be sitting in the truck. There is still no guide line as to what grade of fuel is to be used when testing, but Toyota and Chevy use 87 octain, unless noted in an add, or in the manual. Nissan, Dodge, and Ford have been useing a higher octain fuel to get their numbers. Also, manufactures can have their engines h.p. "Certified". So far, as far as I know, only Chevy and Toyota have done this. Its mostly for "Bragging rights" for what I know.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
X2 to chris. Thats what I heard too. But the kid at the toyota dealership tried to tell me it was because of the fuel.

But I'm with Chris...
Old 08-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yall got it all wrong.... what you need is a ram jet on the back of that sucker
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
X2 to chris. Thats what I heard too. But the kid at the toyota dealership tried to tell me it was because of the fuel.

But I'm with Chris...
People at dealerships really dont know alot. Toyota has always rated their engines on 87 unless notted, i.e.the Supra.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
another simple way the horse power could be different was they dyno'd a 05 manual and an 07 auto... as auto's suck little more power out on dyno
Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
another simple way the horse power could be different was they dyno'd a 05 manual and an 07 auto... as auto's suck little more power out on dyno
Manufatures H.P. ratings are at the crank. Tranny has no affect on it as it is not connected at the time they dyno a motor.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
anc2514 is on a distinguished road
anc2514's Tacoma Gallery
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
This isn't because of the fuel.

SAE testing standards came into place sometime after 2005. Many manufacturer's were not testing to the SAE standard, and when the SAE became the standard for measureing HP and TQ, many manufacturer's numbers went down slightly.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #16
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Well crap! I have been running 93 octane since day one and from what i read above I didn't need to? Wonder how much money I could have been saving, .......yep, ALOT! Does 93 octane run more clean and keep carbon deposits from building up as bad?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Well crap! I have been running 93 octane since day one and from what i read above I didn't need to? Wonder how much money I could have been saving, .......yep, ALOT! Does 93 octane run more clean and keep carbon deposits from building up as bad?
It has the same addatives as the 87 as Federally required. It will help performance as the programming of the V6 ECU allows a little more power to be made with higher oct. fuel.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #19
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
Can any prove with Documents and a Dyno chart about 93 vers 87 in these trucks.

From my college run by Toyota i was told Octane will not increase horse power allone.

You need to run the lowest octane you can that will not give you Ping or detination.

Lower rated fuel burns faster, this is why car wil ping, as the BOOM happen to soon and parts are getting moved at the wrong time.

Highter Octane fuel burn Slow, I mean really slow. So the pats like vavles have time to seat back in place and get rady for the Booom...

i am not calling any one out, but Toyota has alwasy used 87 as the base fuel for all cars non turbo and non supra.

So before we all blow our stack lets see proof of this 93 octane claim.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
The Anti Alliance Alliance. BAM!
audiophile22 is on a distinguished road

audiophile22's Tacoma Gallery
cuz u can really tell a difference with that minimal of HP increase... REALLY people? come on.