Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

"Fast idle" on 6 spd manual won't slow me down

Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Neotoma is on a distinguished road
Neotoma's Tacoma Gallery
"Fast idle" on 6 spd manual won't slow me down

I bought a '10 6 spd manual, because I like to use the transmission to slow me down, especially descending steep hills. When fully warmed up, this truck has a "fast idle" (probably an emissions thing) which won't disengage until I reach a certain lower RPM or speed in that particular gear. So the net effect is that I have to break (EXACTLY what I was trying to avoid w/ a manual). Is there a mod for deactivating that "fast idle"? My '98 4Runner manual (190k), if I double-clutch it, will slow me down from any speed in any gear.

On the plus side, this tranny was made for speed shifting. If I'm not in a hurry, I can almost drive all day w/out using the clutch, as smooth as butter (stop signs excepted). 1700 RPM seems to be the sweet spot.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I would not use the gears to slow down going fast anyway. Breaks are cheaper than fixing the transmission later on.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
eschonle is a jewel in the rougheschonle is a jewel in the rougheschonle is a jewel in the rough

Name: eric
eschonle's Tacoma Gallery
won't clutchless shifting wear out and/or cause damage to your syncromesh?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
ryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ryan
ryhar85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
I would not use the gears to slow down going fast anyway. Breaks are cheaper than fixing the transmission later on.
X2. . . way cheaper!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
ryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to beholdryhar85 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ryan
ryhar85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschonle View Post
I don't think it will damage any thing as long as you don't have to put force into it. . . Just let it fall into gear. I used to do this in my old jeep, it never caused any problems, but I don't in the taco - just because. . .
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
Neotoma is on a distinguished road
Neotoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschonle View Post
Gently, gently. That's where the "smooth as butter" thing comes in, and "the sweet spot" RPM. It's a low RPM, so you don't load up on the torque. If you like to hammer the accelerator, DON'T DO THIS.

It teaches you a lot about your power train, gearing, and synchro, but never at higher RPM's or under load. I've done this with my old Ford trucks, and my 98 4Runner for years without harm, but never when I'm in a hurry.