1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black Marks from Exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by socko3161, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Apr 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM
    socko3161

socko3161 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can anyone recommend a product to the remove the black residue that is being left behind from my exhaust??? Its gotten to the point where I can really see it now and on a "speedway" blue truck, its starting to bug me

2. Apr 21, 2008 at 6:02 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    Change your oil more often;)! Are you burning oil? Just a thought.

3. Apr 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you can probably get it off with some mothers or meguiars wax or polish, and goo gone/ wd-40 will probably work also(be sure to wipe with soapy water if you use wd-40)......and to keep it from getting on the paint, buy an exhaust tip and install it just a bit past the fender.....it wont get on there anymore.

4. Apr 21, 2008 at 6:20 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Automotive clay bar, but I would suggest figuring out what is causing that soot in the first place

5. Apr 21, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I really think you should look into that. I am running Intake Headers and exhaust, minus 2 cats, and my muffler tip stays clean all around except the inside of coarse. No stains or black soot outside the tip., I'd be concern.

Good luck.

6. Apr 21, 2008 at 6:41 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    It is likely just carbon. Our trucks run rich, and if you spend a good bit of time sitting in say rush hour traffic, the idling exhaust just drifts up on-to the side of the bed. As far as for removing it, any good wax should take care of it, or you could hit your local Wally world or camping world and pick up RV black streak remover. I used that on one of my old Accords (which was white) and it did wonders for removing the carbon build-up on the bumper.

7. Apr 21, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    death valley fan

death valley fan National Champions

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    2007 TRD OFF-ROAD
    I've got the same type carbon build up on my exhaust. What would you recommend to get that off. I've had it checked and it isn't oil burning. That's just mine though get it checked.

8. Apr 21, 2008 at 7:52 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    maybe a small wire brush and some wheel cleaner will work. or some aluminum cleaner as well.

9. Apr 22, 2008 at 4:56 AM
    socko3161

socko3161 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Its not on the tip, just on the paint above where the exhaust comes out... I have the TRD exhaust and that has a tip on it... I hit it with some grease lightning and that took a little bit of it off but not really... I'll go the advanced auto and see what products they have, I know I'll end up walking out of there with ten other things but I have come to the realization that its really unavoidable... Thanks all for your feedback, I'll let you know what I find

10. Apr 22, 2008 at 9:20 PM
    Fozbo

Fozbo Member

Member:
    Norman, OK
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    The residue is from running rich. Don't worry about it being oil smoke, because that is white (white smoke = oil, black smoke = gas).

I'm new to tacomas, but with the supras the first place to check would be the intercooler pipes or anywhere between the MAF sensor and the engine. Obviously tacomas (most at least :p) aren't boosted, so an air leak would suck in extra air that the computer doesn't know about and make it run lean. There could be something preventing or clogging air flow from the MAF to the engine, that would give you a situation where your air/fuel ratio would be low.

Is the residue just build up over time, or did it happen recently? If it has happened recently, can you see wisps of black smoke or smell gasoline when it's running? If it's just build up, I wouldn't worry about it too much (most likely from the better flowing exhaust).

As for getting rid of it, we always found that red rubbing compound to work the best:
    [​IMG]
    You have to be careful though since it's an abrasive polish. I've also heard of the clay bars working wonders.

11. Apr 22, 2008 at 9:35 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Get a tube of "GS27" scratch remover. It employs super super fine microcrystalline which works perfectly on stuff like this-and is waaaay safer than rubbing compound.

Products Discussed in

To Top