Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Black Marks from Exhaust

Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
socko3161 is on a distinguished road

socko3161's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to socko3161
Black Marks from Exhaust

Can anyone recommend a product to the remove the black residue that is being left behind from my exhaust??? Its gotten to the point where I can really see it now and on a "speedway" blue truck, its starting to bug me
Old 04-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Change your oil more often! Are you burning oil? Just a thought.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
you can probably get it off with some mothers or meguiars wax or polish, and goo gone/ wd-40 will probably work also(be sure to wipe with soapy water if you use wd-40)......and to keep it from getting on the paint, buy an exhaust tip and install it just a bit past the fender.....it wont get on there anymore.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Automotive clay bar, but I would suggest figuring out what is causing that soot in the first place
Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
I really think you should look into that. I am running Intake Headers and exhaust, minus 2 cats, and my muffler tip stays clean all around except the inside of coarse. No stains or black soot outside the tip., I'd be concern.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
It is likely just carbon. Our trucks run rich, and if you spend a good bit of time sitting in say rush hour traffic, the idling exhaust just drifts up on-to the side of the bed. As far as for removing it, any good wax should take care of it, or you could hit your local Wally world or camping world and pick up RV black streak remover. I used that on one of my old Accords (which was white) and it did wonders for removing the carbon build-up on the bumper.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
National Champions
death valley fan is on a distinguished road

Army: Louisiana National Guard 205th Engineering Battalion Commo Section
Name: Chris
death valley fan's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same type carbon build up on my exhaust. What would you recommend to get that off. I've had it checked and it isn't oil burning. That's just mine though get it checked.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by death valley fan View Post
I've got the same type carbon build up on my exhaust. What would you recommend to get that off. I've had it checked and it isn't oil burning. That's just mine though get it checked.
maybe a small wire brush and some wheel cleaner will work. or some aluminum cleaner as well.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #9
socko3161 is on a distinguished road

socko3161's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to socko3161
Its not on the tip, just on the paint above where the exhaust comes out... I have the TRD exhaust and that has a tip on it... I hit it with some grease lightning and that took a little bit of it off but not really... I'll go the advanced auto and see what products they have, I know I'll end up walking out of there with ten other things but I have come to the realization that its really unavoidable... Thanks all for your feedback, I'll let you know what I find
Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
Fozbo is on a distinguished road
Fozbo's Tacoma Gallery
The residue is from running rich. Don't worry about it being oil smoke, because that is white (white smoke = oil, black smoke = gas).

I'm new to tacomas, but with the supras the first place to check would be the intercooler pipes or anywhere between the MAF sensor and the engine. Obviously tacomas (most at least :P) aren't boosted, so an air leak would suck in extra air that the computer doesn't know about and make it run lean. There could be something preventing or clogging air flow from the MAF to the engine, that would give you a situation where your air/fuel ratio would be low.

Is the residue just build up over time, or did it happen recently? If it has happened recently, can you see wisps of black smoke or smell gasoline when it's running? If it's just build up, I wouldn't worry about it too much (most likely from the better flowing exhaust).

As for getting rid of it, we always found that red rubbing compound to work the best:

You have to be careful though since it's an abrasive polish. I've also heard of the clay bars working wonders.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Get a tube of "GS27" scratch remover. It employs super super fine microcrystalline which works perfectly on stuff like this-and is waaaay safer than rubbing compound.