Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

To dual or not to dual. That's the question!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Trailrunner07dsm
texred73 is on a distinguished road

Navy: EN3 (SW) 1996-2003
Name: brian
texred73's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to texred73
Question To dual or not to dual. That's the question!

I have an 07 prerunner dc trd off road. I want to do dual exhaust but was curious if it made much of a difference In hp if combined with intake upgrade. Help a brother out!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
good question!! i would like to know too...
Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think if anything you lose hp. There was a post here not to long ago about someone running dual then putting on a single and being suprised with the "power gains" from switching to a single exit exhaust
Old 03-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
I have Flowmaster 50 duals and didn't feel much of a difference either way. If anything, the motor seems a bit more responsive. No complaints here.

Edit - but then I added the dual chrome tips and WOW!!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
A true dual system will hurt your performance. Backpressure reduction is not as important in a nearly stock/naturally aspirated engine as exhaust scavenging is.

If you want dual outlets- Look for a nice set of headers, a good ypipe, a high flow muffler ( Dynomax Super Turbo are pretty solid) and get a dual outlet style with piping where ever you want the outlets.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
I went dual originally, and now im going to change back to single out and dump over the axle... Duals seem to be a little less noisey too.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Possibly Batman
NeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to behold

NeoMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to NeoMoose
I'd go for a performance single just because I really like the stock look when it comes to exhaust on trucks. Crazy truck exhausts start to look tacky real fast.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
I got the MBRP duals and love the way it sounds and looks. Its not a true dual so I dunno if that matters as far as the performance. I didn't notice a difference in the way the truck drives after I put it on but it definitely sounds better!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
I would think you would lose hp with a true dual setup.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I think duals look gay on trucks.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
longhornsfan23 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
longhornsfan23's Tacoma Gallery
stock exhaust w/ muffler cut outs is the way to go if u wanna make a lot of noise lol
Old 03-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
True duals will be too much for an N/A truck.

If you are doing the single in, dual out muffler, you will be fine. The dual piping is so far down in the exhaust stream, that it will have little difference in performance. If the piping from the merger to the muffler is 2.5" then you should see some gains.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
Trailrunner07dsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsfan23 View Post
stock exhaust w/ muffler cut outs is the way to go if u wanna make a lot of noise lol
Not looking to make noise, just longer black marks on take offs!! HA
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Trailrunner07dsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb609 View Post
I have Flowmaster 50 duals and didn't feel much of a difference either way. If anything, the motor seems a bit more responsive. No complaints here.

Edit - but then I added the dual chrome tips and WOW!!!!
I know bud, every time I wash and wax mine it seems to go soo much faster. Wierd huh?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Trailrunner07dsm

I'm only in the idea stage right now but i've considered everything as an option except the mighty $upercharger! Maybe a chip or reprogramming the CPU for HP. I'm only willing to do the exhaust switch and intake upgrade if there's a noticeable improvement. I don't race at all but I would like to pass a vette and leave him with a WTF look on his face!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #16
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by texred73 View Post
I'm only in the idea stage right now but i've considered everything as an option except the mighty $upercharger! Maybe a chip or reprogramming the CPU for HP. I'm only willing to do the exhaust switch and intake upgrade if there's a noticeable improvement. I don't race at all but I would like to pass a vette and leave him with a WTF look on his face!
you'll need a lot more then intake and exhaust to do that.

Start saving your doll hairs for a supercharger.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have #17432 FM 50 dual catback setup. I didn't buy it for horsepower.
I bought it for the sound and I've always like duals.
It's bling ... but I like it.

If I wanna experience true horsepower...I'll drive my corvette.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #18
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I think older muscle cars were doin duals because of limited choices in tube diameters and such stuff that i really wasnt around for, the look stayed. You can get any needed diameter and muffler nowdays from Borla JBA flowmaster etc , dual exhaust is just a style anymore, I'd say your best with a single exhaust. Hell, even the 11 liter and 14 liter trucks at work have a single exhaust.

There isnt much to gain in any exhaust, they make a loud sound that leaves you with the impression of power imo. If you get a good exh combined with a good CAI youll see the gains, but wont feel the $1200 +/- was worth it. FWIW i'd like to do a CAI and exh on my 4 cyl, from what iv'e seen the doug thorley header is by far better the better option for power.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #19
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
I think older muscle cars were doin duals because of limited choices in tube diameters and such stuff that i really wasnt around for, the look stayed. You can get any needed diameter and muffler nowdays from Borla JBA flowmaster etc , dual exhaust is just a style anymore, I'd say your best with a single exhaust. Hell, even the 11 liter and 14 liter trucks at work have a single exhaust.

There isnt much to gain in any exhaust, they make a loud sound that leaves you with the impression of power imo. If you get a good exh combined with a good CAI youll see the gains, but wont feel the $1200 +/- was worth it. FWIW i'd like to do a CAI and exh on my 4 cyl, from what iv'e seen the doug thorley header is by far better the better option for power.
On the new 4cyl, your better off getting the LC Engineering header. MUCH better designed, and will give you the best bang for you buck when it comes to simple bolt-ons.

Headers > catback in terms of performance (as long as the headers are designed right). And the LCE ones, are definitely designed well.