Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Just talked to a minute muffler shop

Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
doodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud of
doodle_cakes's Tacoma Gallery
Just talked to a minute muffler shop

and they are telling me that Dynomax doesn't make any mufflers that fit Toyotas.

I was looking at throwing a dynomax super turbo muffler on my 4banger, which I know lots of guys here have done to theirs. Why would the shop say that nothing fits...?

If I were to install this myself is it very hard to do and do I need additional parts to make it fit?

edit - I was looking at the side - center muffler part number 17748 for my truck. Should fit I think.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Not really, just some adjustor pipes that can be bought at your local auto store! Shouldn't be too hard, if you have a 2" pipe buy a convertor pipe that goes from 2" to 3" or whatever size you need.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
If a muffler shop is telling you can't make something fit (that a lot of other Tacoma owners have) then they aren't a very good shop. A good shop can make pretty much any universal muffler fit.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
^^true!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
If a muffler shop is telling you can't make something fit (that a lot of other Tacoma owners have) then they aren't a very good shop. A good shop can make pretty much any universal muffler fit.
x10 my dad was a muffler man for 20 years. he could eyeball that shit then go bend the pipe for a perfect fit...sounds like a terrible shop that I wouldnt let any where near my truck
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
x20!

I got the Dynomax 17748 on my 5 lug.

Everyone I spoke with in Tucson (Trail Boss Offroad, Dan's Garage, & 4WP) kept recommending one exhaust shop in Tucson. Call around for a good shop. BTW, I got mine installed for $30, took less than 30 mins to have them weld it in place.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
x20!

I got the Dynomax 17748 on my 5 lug.

Everyone I spoke with in Tucson (Trail Boss Offroad, Dan's Garage, & 4WP) kept recommending one exhaust shop in Tucson. Call around for a good shop. BTW, I got mine installed for $30, took less than 30 mins to have them weld it in place.
I have the exact same one on my 3.4. I just had to shrink the opening on the muffler a little bit with a hammer to avoid having to fill such a large gap with weld. It fits fine.