1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

inconsistant power

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Starbug, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Mar 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    Starbug

Starbug [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shellina
    Victoria, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SR5
    Hey, I bought my 2010 DC SR5 automatic about a month ago, I have about 700Kms on it and it is acting up really bad. I have never owned a new vehicle so I am not sure if it is just settling and adjusting itself or if there is something wrong. I have been reading a few different forums but I can't seem to find a solution. I don't want to take it in if I am just being paranoid. So I am hoping to get a little advise from some experianced owners.

What's happening:
    It runs perfect first thing in the morning. I mean it is responsive when I touch the gas and it idles just over 1 and switches gears around 2500-3000. The kind of get up and go that I appreciate in a small truck.
    Once it is warmed up it is a completely different truck. I mean, I can lay my foot on the floor and nothing happens than POW it kicks into gear. This happens in both D and R both while I am driving and while I am taking off from stop. Generally once its in motion I have to give it a good half peddle before anything happens, and it has the same hesitation. If I am going over 80KM and try to accelerate it feels like it is in too high/low of a gear it is really noisy and nothing happens. I have been paying close attention to the rpms lately hoping it would provide some help, it is NEVER over 1300 once warmed up, it idols just under 1000. So now I wonder if the computer is calculating the gears correctly or if its an air intake issue, or if this is just completely normal and I just need to get used to it.:confused:

Any Advice?

2. Mar 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    When warmed up, the Idle can be anywhere from 550 to 750 RPM. As for the no throttle response, you should take it in to the dealer to address that..

3. Mar 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    well first off welcome to TW.

you have the 4.0l v6 correct?

4. Mar 21, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    Starbug

Starbug [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shellina
    Victoria, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SR5
    yes, it's the V6 4L.

5. Mar 21, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    its a 2010 so take it back to the dealer if you are not completely satisfied

6. Mar 21, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    Starbug

Starbug [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shellina
    Victoria, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SR5
    Ya, I think I will try this week. I asked about a return policy and the sales guys kind of chuckled at me and said no. Maybe I'll go talk to a manager. I wanted to find out if this was normal behaviour first. I have read a few threads on other sites that imply that this is a known issue with the transmission searching for gears but I have never owned an automatic let alone one with a computer in it so I was not sure if this was normal.

7. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    GSRON

GSRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Cement
    Quikfix seat risers and lic plate mount, MESO interior and stage 1 tails, glove box and console dividers, shelf for center console, FACTOR 55 hitch link, TC bed stiffeners, OE bed mat,
    IIRC, the 09 and 10 models had a TSB on the tranny.

My 06 will almost idle up my (very steep) driveway. The torque convertor and tranny are very "tight" and work very well at any temp in my truck. I see no reason why your's should be any different.

Like the others have said, you have a warrenty, USE IT. From cold to hot that truck should bark the tires off the line with no lag or wait.

As an example..... If I was sitting at a light or stop sign and noticed that the person behind me wasn't stopping (and the intersectioon was clear) I'd hit the gas and go (it's happened a time or two on the bike) somewhere else. If nothing else the fact that I'm moving in the same direction they are will lessen the impact. If I hit the gas, nothing happened and I got creamed by the clown behind me.... I'd own Toyota and sue every assclown who wrongfully accused my cars of "unintended acceleration" :rolleyes:.....

8. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    Starbug

Starbug [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shellina
    Victoria, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SR5
    ROFL, I know.

The accelerating off the line thing is what scares me. I don't and my driveway is blind so if I make the move to go and something comes I NEED to go. There have been a few too many close calls in the last couple weeks. The noise over 80KMs is also concerning, I had the volume almost maxed on the sterio and still couldnt hear it over the engine. Maybe it was just because it was the first time but after I stopped all I could smell was hot plastic, electrical, and a little catalitic converter (rotten eggs). All is not well, my spiddy sences tell me.

9. Mar 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    Starbug

Starbug [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shellina
    Victoria, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SR5
    ***UPDATE***
    I took it in this morning and the service people knew exactly what the problem was as it has been hapening on quite a few of the newer models. They reset "flashed??" the computer and it was a different truck when I left :)

WooHoo :D

I think I'll take her up island this weekend so give her a solid chance on the mountain terrain at high speeds.

Products Discussed in

To Top