1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a High Flow Cat / new muffler

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TRDguyKC, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Mar 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Currently im running DTLT's, URD Y, and TRD exhaust. So i dont have any cats, and you can tell by simply standing by my truck being that the smell is so strong.

So im looking for a High flow cat, and have no idea what im looking at here. I know magnaflow makes some, but what size? i just dont know.

Also, As i said, im running the TRD catback...... I have heard good things about Aero Turbine, Any comments? im trying to get rid of some of this RASP that the DTLT's come with.

post your suggestions please! thanks,

2. Mar 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    If you are catless, then you will need the Aero 2525XL and most likely an additional resonator (AR25).

The aero by itself doesn't do much to muffle rasp, so a resonator (or built in one) will be needed.

If you are putting cats into the URD y-pipe, then you will want 2.25" cats.

3. Mar 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    I was hoping you'd chime in. :)

If i were to put cats on the URD Y, and do the aero, do you think the cats would help the rasp at all? or would you still reccoment a resonator?

4. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    Cats in the y-pipe, and the aero 2525XL should tame most if not all the of the rasp. If you are still worried, you can pick up the AR25 resonator for around $45 shipped and place that just before the muffler, and you will have a real deep, smooth sound.

Is the TRD CBE a 2.5"?

5. Mar 23, 2010 at 12:31 AM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ

ill have to check and get back to you. not sure.

6. Nov 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    Bear River

Bear River Active Member

Member:
    Just be aware, most of the cats Magnaflow sells are not high flow cats. Most of them are ordinary 400 cpi ceramic cats. This is high flow by 80's standards, but most stock systems use the same density, so the Magnaflow cats would have no advantage over stock in terms of flow.

If you do want real high flow cats, you need the Magnaflow Spun converters, like these
    http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/990universalspun.asp

Be advised, these are overly priced for the low quality. They use a palladium only substrate that is known for its poor performance. They can be found cheaply because they do not have enough precious metals to be effective cats. You will likely end up replacing them every year. If you want good high flow cats, you need these.

http://www.bearriverconverters.com/...tagoryPK=69655f29-a4c0-4cc8-b368-fdabd01d9526

These have a rhodium/palladium blend and the loadings are up to 4 times higher than those found in other brands, resulting in a durable long lasting and effective product that will last for many years.
    Since you are a TW member, you qualify for a 25% discount on the cats.

On sound, the high flow cats would still sound pretty sweet, but it will clean up a lot of the rasp.

I am running real high flow cats on my van.

7. Nov 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    scott20054

scott20054 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tuned TRD supercharged taco
    TRD Supercharger, IPT High Performance Transmission, DTLT long headers, APR X-1 tuner, Full fiberglass body, E85 injectors, APR 7th injector, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pulstar Performance Series Spark Plugs, 2.7" pulley, Flexalite Electric Cooling Fan, Cooler Thermostat System, Timing gears, Pro Comp Traction Bars, K&N Cold Air Intake, Airaid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer, Aero Turbine 2525 with custom piping true duals, Grillcraft MX Series upper and lower grill, Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT ELITE, 20% tint front, 5% tint back, tinted headlights, tail lights, fog lights, and mirrors, Debadged, ... So YES this truck is "STOCK" ;D
    I agree with XrunnIT on this. If i were you for what your looking for do Aero Turbine 2525XL with a resonator and that will get rid of any rasp.
    Also i heard good things about the Super Turbo Dynomax but i have no experience with it so i dont know to much on it but heard there quite good.

8. Nov 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Thanks guys for the info. Bear River, i will definately be contacting/purchasing from you in the near future. I still am running catless, and i have a kiddo now and i dont want him around the tailpipe as it is right now. Too many fumes.

Products Discussed in

To Top