1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CAI Suggestions/How To Needed.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by B2BTaco, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    B2BTaco

B2BTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    U.S.A - Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma - TRD Sport 4X4 - Silver
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks (Front) raised 2.5 inches. Pro-Comp AAL 1.5 inch raise in rear. HomerTaco Thin-Lip Satoshi Grill. AVS Bug-Deflector, Front Two Windows Tinted (to match factory tint on back windows). Baja Roof Basket with Spare Tire Carrier. Shorty Radio Antenna-black. Cobra CB Radio/PA System installed. De-badged (all Toyota/Tacoma decals gone). Front & Rear Mud flaps removed. STEALTH 3157 Taillight bulbs (removed amber bulb for cleaner look)
    Ok fella's. I'm a huge newby on these Taco's. I was always a Chevy man. After my dad got an '04 and gave it hell, I decided to get one of my own.

I have a 2009 Tacoma. Bought it new. I've had it for a year now and I'm gettin' the mod itch. First two things I want to do is get an exhaust, which I've pretty much settled on but next, I want a CAI. I have settled on a couple but I had two questions: 1. Is volant a good choice and 2. How in the hell do these things fit. The intake I have doesn't look like it would match up w/ the intakes I've seen online. There is a tube going into the passenger side fender which connects to the air filter attached to the engine. This thing is atleast 11 inches wide. What's that all about? How would I replace that? I believe my truck has a stock intake system in it but not a true CAI. What's the deal with this? Suggestions, comments, etc. are welcomed and appreciated! Sorry for the long post but I'm confused. Like I said, never worked on a Toyota motor of any kind!

2. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
    Welcome to TW and the Tacoma world. AS for the CAI the i have heard that the volant is a decent choice. I am not sure as to how to install it i am sure that someone here has it and can help you. From the ones i have seen the intake tube is replaced and now mounts above the radiator. I could be talking about the wrong intake but i am pretty sure this is the one you are talking about.

As for the long post you havnt seen anything yet there are some that will take u 20 mins to read. :D But Welcome to the TW you will love it. Lots of help on here

3. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    I think it's the URD that goes and mounts in front of the radiator. The Volant should go to the same place the stock one does. You should just have to take the stock filter system off and replace it. They're not that hard. The Volant box goes over to the fender where the stocker goes now. There's a hole in the inner fender where the air flows through, if I'm not mistaken. I could be way off, and someone will come by and let me know soon. I don't have a CAI on mine, and some people on here will tell you it's a waste of money, which it may well be...but if you want it, get it. I plan on getting one when I pay my truck off in a couple of months. I think it adds a little more throaty sound. Sorry if my post didn't help at all.

4. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Welcome to TW from TX.
    Not very sure about volant, but I know TRD gets some good reviews.

5. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    TRD is a good one, but pretty pricey. Check out autoanything.com (there's a link to it at the top of the page where it says "Shop Online"), they usually have pretty good prices on stuff. I think the Volant on there is like $275. That's what I was thinkin about getting...that or the K&N...can never go wrong with K&N.

6. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
  7. Mar 23, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    B2BTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    U.S.A - Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks (Front) raised 2.5 inches. Pro-Comp AAL 1.5 inch raise in rear. HomerTaco Thin-Lip Satoshi Grill. AVS Bug-Deflector, Front Two Windows Tinted (to match factory tint on back windows). Baja Roof Basket with Spare Tire Carrier. Shorty Radio Antenna-black. Cobra CB Radio/PA System installed. De-badged (all Toyota/Tacoma decals gone). Front & Rear Mud flaps removed. STEALTH 3157 Taillight bulbs (removed amber bulb for cleaner look)
    I appreciate the welcoming. So what you guys are saying is you just remove the stock intake and the aftermarket bolts up and fits like a glove? Sounds easy enough.

Mondwa: That link made me think some. I may just hold off or simply replace the stock filter. I don't know. I think I may just sit and wait it out. What you think?

8. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    Some Old Blind Man

Some Old Blind Man Got brake lights? Big ones??

Member:
    Valrico, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 2TR A.cab
    Elbow mod, DT Header, URD SS, Streetaco's radiator skidplate/guard, BHLM, Magnaflow
    B2B, unless you're seriously off-roading, carefully pop off the plastic wheelwell on the passenger sid, you'll most likely find this big plastic box/container and a plastic elbow up in there... remove it all... called an elbow mod.

The plastic elbow on my 2TR was about a 2.5" opening for the air intake.. after removing, air enters directly from the 4" hole in the fender wall.. still cold air.. still using stock-type dry filters..

try this before dropping $$$ on a CAI. If you're sset on spending money on a CAI, check out URD's True CAI.

9. Mar 24, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    B2BTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    U.S.A - Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Some Old: I think you're probably right. The volant systme looks awesome though. It pulls air from two places, the stock place (replacing that with the system of course) and you can also get an option called the Ram Air scoop that pulls from the top of the radiator (getting air from the grill). 2 places of cold air. Gotta be pretty good right?

10. Mar 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Afe stage 2 si, trd cai,or the urd cai. All of these are good choices! But you could always just drop in an afe pro dry s filter and save the cash for something else!

11. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    B2BTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    U.S.A - Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I think I will save the money for now and just get a drop in. I'm going to put the money toward a cat back exhaust and a Thule roof rack. I'll post pictures of it. The Volant system with the scoop and all would put me over $400. I need to wait and think about that one some more! :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top