Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

CAI Suggestions/How To Needed.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
B2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brian
B2BTaco's Tacoma Gallery
CAI Suggestions/How To Needed.

Ok fella's. I'm a huge newby on these Taco's. I was always a Chevy man. After my dad got an '04 and gave it hell, I decided to get one of my own.

I have a 2009 Tacoma. Bought it new. I've had it for a year now and I'm gettin' the mod itch. First two things I want to do is get an exhaust, which I've pretty much settled on but next, I want a CAI. I have settled on a couple but I had two questions: 1. Is volant a good choice and 2. How in the hell do these things fit. The intake I have doesn't look like it would match up w/ the intakes I've seen online. There is a tube going into the passenger side fender which connects to the air filter attached to the engine. This thing is atleast 11 inches wide. What's that all about? How would I replace that? I believe my truck has a stock intake system in it but not a true CAI. What's the deal with this? Suggestions, comments, etc. are welcomed and appreciated! Sorry for the long post but I'm confused. Like I said, never worked on a Toyota motor of any kind!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW and the Tacoma world. AS for the CAI the i have heard that the volant is a decent choice. I am not sure as to how to install it i am sure that someone here has it and can help you. From the ones i have seen the intake tube is replaced and now mounts above the radiator. I could be talking about the wrong intake but i am pretty sure this is the one you are talking about.

As for the long post you havnt seen anything yet there are some that will take u 20 mins to read. But Welcome to the TW you will love it. Lots of help on here
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's the URD that goes and mounts in front of the radiator. The Volant should go to the same place the stock one does. You should just have to take the stock filter system off and replace it. They're not that hard. The Volant box goes over to the fender where the stocker goes now. There's a hole in the inner fender where the air flows through, if I'm not mistaken. I could be way off, and someone will come by and let me know soon. I don't have a CAI on mine, and some people on here will tell you it's a waste of money, which it may well be...but if you want it, get it. I plan on getting one when I pay my truck off in a couple of months. I think it adds a little more throaty sound. Sorry if my post didn't help at all.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from TX.
Not very sure about volant, but I know TRD gets some good reviews.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
Welcome to TW from TX.
Not very sure about volant, but I know TRD gets some good reviews.
TRD is a good one, but pretty pricey. Check out autoanything.com (there's a link to it at the top of the page where it says "Shop Online"), they usually have pretty good prices on stuff. I think the Volant on there is like $275. That's what I was thinkin about getting...that or the K&N...can never go wrong with K&N.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
As you will see this has been discussed a million times but here is another link that might help you decide
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ir-intake.html
Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
I have the AFE stage 2 dry filter intake and I am quite happy with it. According to my sources the same company designed the TRD intake. Installation is easy just follow the instructions you get with the intake. You can PM me when you install it if you have any questions
Old 03-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
B2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of lightB2BTaco is a glorious beacon of light

B2BTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate the welcoming. So what you guys are saying is you just remove the stock intake and the aftermarket bolts up and fits like a glove? Sounds easy enough.

Mondwa: That link made me think some. I may just hold off or simply replace the stock filter. I don't know. I think I may just sit and wait it out. What you think?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
Got brake lights? Big ones??
Some Old Blind Man is on a distinguished road

Army: 34Y RA, 31U NG (both long ago)
Some Old Blind Man's Tacoma Gallery
B2B, unless you're seriously off-roading, carefully pop off the plastic wheelwell on the passenger sid, you'll most likely find this big plastic box/container and a plastic elbow up in there... remove it all... called an elbow mod.

The plastic elbow on my 2TR was about a 2.5" opening for the air intake.. after removing, air enters directly from the 4" hole in the fender wall.. still cold air.. still using stock-type dry filters..

try this before dropping $$$ on a CAI. If you're sset on spending money on a CAI, check out URD's True CAI.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #10

B2BTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Some Old: I think you're probably right. The volant systme looks awesome though. It pulls air from two places, the stock place (replacing that with the system of course) and you can also get an option called the Ram Air scoop that pulls from the top of the radiator (getting air from the grill). 2 places of cold air. Gotta be pretty good right?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Afe stage 2 si, trd cai,or the urd cai. All of these are good choices! But you could always just drop in an afe pro dry s filter and save the cash for something else!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #12

B2BTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Yeah, I think I will save the money for now and just get a drop in. I'm going to put the money toward a cat back exhaust and a Thule roof rack. I'll post pictures of it. The Volant system with the scoop and all would put me over $400. I need to wait and think about that one some more!