Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

New intake and splashy-splash...

Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
TacoMan709 will become famous soon enough

TacoMan709's Tacoma Gallery
New intake and splashy-splash...

Hi all,

This is really my first posted question as a Tacoma World member! Stoked to be here.

I have a first-gen (2003) 4x4 Tacoma that I just bought, and I'm looking into putting an intake in. After researching, I think I'll go with either a K&N 57-Series (black plastic), or I'll stick with the deckplate mod.

What I'm wondering -- and what will decide this for me -- is how well the K&N intake will stay dry in wet road and splashy (but not underwater) off-road conditions. Is it fairly shielded from splash? I know there is a waterproof cover available for the filter, but does that restrict airflow?

Ideally I'd like to have a better intake setup that I can stick on and leave it as is (no putting the deckplate back in, etc.), but I'm not sure if that is an option.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
TacoMan709 will become famous soon enough

TacoMan709's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFI2Toyota View Post
Well... I don't have either BUT, if you are concerned that much I would keep it stock and drop in the new air filter only. My 2 cents...

Thanks for the feedback! However, my problem is that I'm not sure if it's something to be concerned about. So I suppose...I'm concerned about whether or not I should be concerned...right?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both a KN and the deckplate mod, and I wouldn't spend the money for the KN again when compared to the deckplate. I had the expensive one first, it changed the power characteristics, with more sound and power up high but less low and mid. Took it off and sold it and did the deckplate mod with an AE dry air filter, and it seems like better power, with more low and mid than the K&N, the only difference is not so loud as before but hell of a lot cheaper. I've driven with the deckplate open in very heavy rains and never had a problem, not even a drop of water in the intake box. Nice thing about it is if you are worried you can just pop the hood and put the plate in, total of about 30 seconds and its all nice and dry. You can't do that with the K&N.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I've had both a KN and the deckplate mod, and I wouldn't spend the money for the KN again when compared to the deckplate. I had the expensive one first, it changed the power characteristics, with more sound and power up high but less low and mid. Took it off and sold it and did the deckplate mod with an AE dry air filter, and it seems like better power, with more low and mid than the K&N, the only difference is not so loud as before but hell of a lot cheaper. I've driven with the deckplate open in very heavy rains and never had a problem, not even a drop of water in the intake box. Nice thing about it is if you are worried you can just pop the hood and put the plate in, total of about 30 seconds and its all nice and dry. You can't do that with the K&N.
x2
Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
How does it work in the snow? Is there any worry about snow/ice buildup?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
My road had a bunch of about 6" deep mud puddles on it a few weeks ago from all the rain and of coarse I went through them fast enough to make water go over the roof. After I checked the airbox and not a drop got in through the deckplate.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
ive never had an issue with heavy rain or water offroad with the deckplate open...

i did mine 4 years ago and havent put the cover on it...ever