Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Whats the best header??

Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
4ari trd is on a distinguished road

4ari trd's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the best header??

so im looking at the doug thorley long tube headers but they also have the shortie header and the tri-y header so which one is the better one? and where can i some at a good price.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Long tubes delete the front two cats and are not smog legal. They do yield more power than the short tubes. The short tubes do not delete the cats and are legal. Im not sure about the power gains with those.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
The best headers will be custom made full length headers. But with what's available.. the DTLT are the best for performance
Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I would have some now, but I think that the DTLT headers are a piss poor design. I wish someone would come out with some legit headers for our trucks. I would pay the premium price for something that works really well...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I would have some now, but I think that the DTLT headers are a piss poor design. I wish someone would come out with some legit headers for our trucks. I would pay the premium price for something that works really well...
I agree 100%. And I'm currently looking into a solution for this fix.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
I agree 100%. And I'm currently looking into a solution for this fix.
I love you
Old 03-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I love you
Easy now..
Old 03-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In a brotherly kind of way... Don't get any crazy ideas now!
I know. I was just playin man
Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
TBAGRR is on a distinguished road

TBAGRR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
why would you say there a piss poor design? they fit very well and were easy to put on, and was the best mod i have done!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAGRR View Post
why would you say there a piss poor design? they fit very well and were easy to put on, and was the best mod i have done!
I think he's talking about performance.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And that was their purpose, bolt-on. Something that will fit without any real modifications. Ignoring the fact that the design in terms of performance is horrible.

the problem? their performance is absolutely garbage compared to a set of tuned headers. The DTLT only provide a real power increase over a span 1200rpms (3000rpms to about 4200rpms). That's good for a daily driver who isn't looking for optimal performance. But for those of us who want the most out of our money... they are awful.

Look at the gains on their dyno... awful. A real set of headers will put a gain almost as large as the max gain, but over almost all the rpm range (depending on how you have them tuned).

Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #13

TBAGRR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I think he's talking about performance.
Well not many easy bolt on parts make you feel power gains, but i most deff felt a huge diff, i have the stock exhaust also so it wasnt any louder. I would recommend them to everyone with the v6
Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
braaap

Quote:
Well not many easy bolt on parts make you feel power gains, but i most deff felt a huge diff, i have the stock exhaust also so it wasnt any louder. I would recommend them to everyone with the v6
Yeah, are definitely high quality. I think I will go with the TRD headers for my first gen this summer.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #15

TBAGRR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
And that was their purpose, bolt-on. Something that will fit without any real modifications. Ignoring the fact that the design in terms of performance is horrible.

the problem? their performance is absolutely garbage compared to a set of tuned headers. The DTLT only provide a real power increase over a span 1200rpms (3000rpms to about 4200rpms). That's good for a daily driver who isn't looking for optimal performance. But for those of us who want the most out of our money... they are awful.

Look at the gains on their dyno... awful. A real set of headers will put a gain almost as large as the max gain, but over almost all the rpm range (depending on how you have them tuned).

I agree with you. However like you said there the best for your money for now with whats out there, if you spend big money getting a equal length correct tube sized header you can get something great, but off the shelf i think these r great!!!! Maybe b/c i dont go under 2500rpm for much other than 1st gear
Old 03-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree with you. However like you said there the best for your money for now with whats out there, if you spend big money getting a equal length correct tube sized header you can get something great, but off the shelf i think these r great!!!! Maybe b/c i dont go under 2500rpm for much other than 1st gear
They serve their purpose, that is true.

And from DT point of view, they were cheap to make, and sell like hot-cakes, because of the fact that most people aren't looking to build race cars out of a pickup truck. So the opted to go with ease of installation over performance.

So on their end, its a win. For most daily drivers, its a win. But for performance junkies like myself and others... blah! I hate them.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
what about the shorties, they're a lot cheaper and it ocurred to me to just weld on some straight pipe instead of the cats.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #18
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappyleon View Post
what about the shorties, they're a lot cheaper and it ocurred to me to just weld on some straight pipe instead of the cats.
you could do that. Your performance curve will still be similar to the long tubes, as you'll only be getting a good gain during a small window.

header tuning/performance comes from the length and diameter of the primary tubes, as well as the length and outlet diameter of the collector.

Neither the shorties or the DTLT come anywhere close to being tuned for performance. They are designed to be a bolt-on mod that is affordable, and will satisfy the vast majority of the targeted audience.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #19
kris219 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kris
kris219's Tacoma Gallery
on the subject of doug thorleys. wouldnt getting rid of your o2 sensor and substituting it for a simulator be a bad thing for your air/fuel ratio? because your computer can no longer adjust the amount of fuel being used if your running lean or rich.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris219 View Post
on the subject of doug thorleys. wouldnt getting rid of your o2 sensor and substituting it for a simulator be a bad thing for your air/fuel ratio? because your computer can no longer adjust the amount of fuel being used if your running lean or rich.
The o2 sim is used for the rear oxygen sensor that monitors the health of the cats. This is not to be mistaken with the A/F sensor (located before the cats).